1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Uh ohh...Ebay changes from commission to cpc

Discussion in 'Commission Junction' started by webtarded, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Paulie

Paulie Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeh I know, is annoying though. They mention in their terms that its due to the quality of traffic, and if theres no sales this means there's no quality?

Isnt the point of PPC, but as you say theres not much that we can do other than hope it works out to be a good deal.

Paulie, Aug 28, 2009 IP
  2. gustav1989

gustav1989 Guest

Best Answers:
    Apples and oranges. Ebay is not paying per click, is "per mood". So, if Ebay stock is diving, Johnny and crew tweak the algorithm a bit to make some dough! After all we have these EPN affiliates that accepted this shady policy of ours. We can do and undo at will.

You are dealing with two different monsters here. One is really evil, ebay with a really horrible reputation and who nobody trusts and then Google who pays per click and really delivers. I trust Google. Adsense checks pay more than the mortgage.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
    gustav1989, Aug 28, 2009 IP
  3. Paulie

Paulie Active Member

Best Answers:
    So you dont think the new ebay PPC policy is going to be of sucess?

Paulie, Aug 28, 2009 IP
  4. Marketers Center

Marketers Center Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For them it is, they will be saving a lot of money.

EPN roped in a lot of good affiliates those first couple years.

Now this year, when it comes to rewards, they're "downsizing". They really have to, the company is tanking.

Marketers Center, Aug 28, 2009 IP
  5. Paulie

Paulie Active Member

Best Answers:
    Who or what is EPN?

Paulie, Aug 29, 2009 IP
  6. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    Kerosene, Aug 29, 2009 IP
  7. Paulie

Paulie Active Member

Best Answers:
    Oops.... my bad lol

I knew thats what we were talking about, just didnt realise that was the abbreavation

Paulie, Aug 29, 2009 IP
  8. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    I was under the impression that you get the same kind of payoff you always did, plus a bonus if your quality remains high? I've read the official description of this change and it doesn't give any concrete examples of what to expect...

Pixelrage, Sep 1, 2009 IP
  9. DatingGold Colin

DatingGold Colin Peon

Best Answers:
    It kind of is a double edge sword I think.

For one, it will "even out" your earnings. If you have days where you get 20+ clicks with no sales you still will get some kind of payment. However, now when you hit it big with a large priced item you're going to get a PPC that will be much less than the previous model.

I think this hurts smaller affiliates more than anyone. If you have a really good site, maybe only a handful of sales a week...you're going to have to start driving "Clicks" to your site otherwise you'll be making pennies a week instead of several dollars. Doesn't sound like much...but over the course of the year it will add up and you will make much less.

Just my .02

DatingGold Colin, Sep 1, 2009 IP
  10. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    I attended the webinar on this yesterday. The one thing that scared me the most is that they claim the average EPC as an affiliate is .7-.21 cents. If you have an EPC of .3 cents or less, it puts up the red flag (high risk of getting banned)...mine is a consistent .4 cents, even though I make a decent salary off of this program...

Pixelrage, Sep 2, 2009 IP
  11. DatingGold Colin

DatingGold Colin Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, that's right...if you are under .03 Cents EPC for an extended period of time eBay will contact you to try and bump it up a little. I have read (and heard on the first webinar) that they will contact you before they give you the boot. But if you can't raise the .03 EPC you have a really good chance of getting axed. Hope it doesn't happen to anyone here.

If you're in that boat...I would try looking at your custom ID's and see which links are driving the most EPC and start running more of those links (products???) In reality you probably want to get your click rate DOWN, especially on non-performing link types...and increase the number of quality/high CPC links.

DatingGold Colin, Sep 2, 2009 IP
  12. supernoobice

supernoobice Peon

Best Answers:
    As shady as paypal

supernoobice, Sep 3, 2009 IP
  13. Marketers Center

Marketers Center Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ebay - Continually effing themselves as much as a corporation possibly could.

Marketers Center, Sep 5, 2009 IP
  14. Smansa09

Smansa09 Peon

Best Answers:
    ebay is done now??

hhmm... i think so...

Smansa09, Sep 8, 2009 IP
  15. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    Now that a few days have gone by, it looks like I'm still getting the same results as I always did. I'm still at a scary .04 cent EPC though...

Pixelrage, Sep 8, 2009 IP
  16. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    Be careful where you put that decimal point! It's .03 cents, not .3 cents! :)

------

From reading the FAQ, it looks like ePN will send you "several follow up communications" once you hit the dreaded .03 EPC. So I guess you don't really have to worry until then...

Kerosene, Sep 8, 2009 IP
  17. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    Oops, kerosene you're right - I meant .03!

I've been banned from ePN before (low EPC)...they've sent nothing, so I wouldn't imagine it's any different. If you look at the new batch of "I've been banned from ePN" threads, it appears as though you simply get banned with no forewarning.

18. Sandrocrown

Sandrocrown Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think this will affect my earning too and I will rather put more effort promoting Axazon stuff because they have better results

Sandrocrown, Sep 8, 2009 IP
  19. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    wow, really? For me, Amazon makes perhaps 5% or less of what ePN makes for me each year...

20. Aldouspi

Aldouspi Peon

Best Answers:
    For the first week of September, my actual earning are 8 times larger than the projected QCP Earnings - not a good sign for me in October. My eBay clicks and resultant sales have always fluctuated wildly over time and it does not look that, as of yet, eBay can average that kind of fluctuation out for QCP Earnings. Of course, more data will have to be collected by us affiliates and I imagine eBay as well before either of us really knows if this is going to be a successful change.

And as others have pointed out. If the amount of MY monthly income drops from eBay - I will spend more time promoting Amazon or other affiliate products.

eBay is risking their affiliate network with this change - let's hope they know what they are doing!

Aldouspi, Sep 8, 2009 IP