1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Uh oh, redesigning a successful site...

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by tarponkeith, Jan 28, 2008.

Ok...

Normally I build sites from the ground up...
    1) analysis
    2) design
    3) coding
    4) feedback
    5) revisions
    6) launch
    7) promotions

But...

For the first time, I've been given the task of redesigning a successful site that google loves... My question is, how do I redesign this site and maintain it's current levels of search engine traffic?

I'd figure, any changes would kill it's rankings... Any input? Thanks guys :)

tarponkeith, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  2. mhaye_01

mhaye_01 Banned

Best Answers:
    try 301 redirect to maintain your site's current rankings,.

mhaye_01, Jan 28, 2008 IP
    tarponkeith likes this.
  3. SunDevil

SunDevil Peon

Best Answers:
    301 redirects are a must. Also make sure that all meta data - title tags - Robots TXT files are transfered over. Redesigning the site with out changing text or page names should not lead to a loss of rankings in the SERPS. When you start remaining URLs and page names, thats when things get tricky.

Also, cover your butt, tell the client they might experience a loss in SERP rankings for a small amount of time. Manage Client Expectations :)

SunDevil, Jan 28, 2008 IP
    tarponkeith likes this.
  4. bogs

bogs Active Member

Best Answers:
    depends on the changes that you are going to make.. if you maintain the content of the page.. you won't get that much problem..

bogs, Jan 29, 2008 IP
  5. Trapped

Trapped Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Forget about 301 Redirect unless you got intentions to change also the URL structure of the pages.

Said that, I would rather take a deep look onto their source code and see how the elements are positioned as for the moment. Check if you can somehow improve the code proportion vs the content but keep the same style of coding (i.e. is sidebar appearing before or after the content, the use of heading tags etc). All these elements can play a crucial role when redesigning the site.

Trapped, Jan 29, 2008 IP