1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

uh oh - multiple submission?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by roseplant, Mar 25, 2006.

I think I might have submitted my site twice, possibly to different categories. First time about 6 months ago, 2nd time 3 months ago. Is there any way to check if it has been

a) included (hah!)
    b) rejected
    c) waiting in line

Or a way to see what its status is? The site was www(dot)turkeyrenting(dot)com and I'm afraid I can't remember either of the categories.

edit: Actually one of the submissions was in Oct '05 according to a post I made here in DP.

roseplant, Mar 25, 2006 IP
  2. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    You can check yourself to see if it's been included, just leave off the www(dot) part when you search at www.dmoz.org .

As for checking to see if it's been rejected or still waiting, I wouldn't wait for someone to respond. Just work on making your site the best turkey renting (?) site you possibly can. :) If your site is listable, it will be listed at some point.

lmocr, Mar 25, 2006 IP
  3. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Without knowing the category, I can only see that it hasn't been touched by an editor. It hasn't been rejected, moved or listed.

Could you guess at a category?

compostannie, Mar 26, 2006 IP
  4. roseplant

roseplant Peon

Best Answers:
    roseplant, Mar 26, 2006 IP
  5. jjwill

jjwill Peon

Best Answers:
    Your title to this thread suggest that you are worried that you might have spammed ODP and may not get listed because of it. That would not be the case if you only submitted 2 or 3 times total over several months.

jjwill, Mar 26, 2006 IP
  6. roseplant

roseplant Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe I did. Not sure if it was twice to the same category or to different categories. It was within the space of about 4-6 months.

roseplant, Mar 26, 2006 IP
  7. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    If you resubmit the same URL to the same category it will overwrite the original. The only impact of doing this is to demote the site in the list of sites awaiting review if the editor reviews in order of when a site is submitted. But very few editors actually do review in date submitted order so it is unlikely to matter.

brizzie, Mar 26, 2006 IP
  8. roseplant

roseplant Peon

Best Answers:
    The problem is I might have inadvertantly submitted to two different categories.

Is there an editor who can check my status please?

roseplant, Mar 27, 2006 IP
  9. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the category link, roseplant. You have one submission waiting in that category. I looked around in similar categories and couldn't find any more so you probably just submitted to the same place twice and over wrote your first submission. Don't worry about it, it's not a problem.

I'm glad I'm not planning a trip to Turkey. There's almost no info in that category and it doesn't look like anyone's taken an interest in it for a long time. I'll go do some work over there, I usually start by date so I can't promise I'll get as far as your site, but I have a couple of hours.

compostannie, Mar 27, 2006 IP
  10. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    I did some work on real estate sites there last year - quite interesting - and dipped into Vacation Rentals in a few localities at the same time. I wasn't particularly impressed by the quality of what I came across in the English language categories so lost interest quite quickly. This particular site looks OK to me on first glance - I didn't particularly like the affiliate links and Google Ads (why are you sending traffic to your arch-competitors for a penny a go and thereby potentially losing a lot on a booking) on the first page but the listings appear original. Whether there are enough listings for a national category is a question of how it compares to other similar sites and how generous the reviewing editor is feeling. I wouldn't say it is a "must list" - honest opinion intended as constructive.

I recall a Canadian site that put all the affiliate links on a separate page as resources and I think it looked and felt a lot better from a user perspective. It also had a lot fewer listings for its market but incredibly detailed information and loads more photos than any competitor. What it lacked in quantity it made up for in quality. And that quality made it a "must list" for me at least. "Must list" by the way means I added it to my Favorites and still check it regularly to see if there is anything of interest in it for me. Which, as a webmaster, is exactly the sort of visitor you want to attract and keep.

brizzie, Mar 27, 2006 IP
  11. roseplant

roseplant Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks a lot for the feedback brizzie. I've been thinking of taking down those CJ links for a while now and you've reaffirmed my doubts. I think they do more harm than good, and the meagre income from them doesn't warrant their placement. So when I get a chance I'll draft a properly informative resources page and add them to it, or just scrap them entirely.

roseplant, Mar 28, 2006 IP