1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ugly Domain Theifs :/

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by SaN-DeeP, Oct 14, 2005.

One of my friends (Web-Designer) clients reported this issue to us today.

They own a 3-Star Hotel in Mumbai, running on a xyz.com domain name since last 2 years (which represents the name of there hotel) in domain name..
    No trademarks are setup on domain name.

Since, these hotel fellows are non technical guys, they missed to renew the domain name and got the same deleted day before yesterday, yet another Domain Hogger registered this domain (backordered) and got it registered.

Yesterday the domain hogger, approached hotel authorities demanding a huge amount in return for the domain name..

SaN-DeeP, Oct 14, 2005 IP
  2. Johnburk

Johnburk Peon

Best Answers:
    That's f*ck*d up for your friends client.

Lesson to be learned. Renew your domain on time.

My experiance is that I get a notice 1 month before deadline, 4 weeks, 3 weeks, 2 weeks, 1 weeks, 3 days and the day it expires. Then, 1 week later I still get the final notice.

So that is 8x! Don't know if all companies offer this service, but usally it is atleased 2 or 3 times.

Johnburk, Oct 14, 2005 IP
  3. SaN-DeeP

SaN-DeeP Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yup i know, there are other non-ethical ways to get back the domain name... completely depends upon the hotel owners.

But, the hotel name is a registered trademark, can something be done over here ?

4. INV

INV Peon

Best Answers:
    I would say you could put up a fight in court if the trademark is registered in the US. However, even so its very slim chance.

INV, Oct 14, 2005 IP
  5. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Sorry to say this, but you need to really stupid to let a domain expire. For example I get sent an email 90 days before my domain is going to expire. I then get one 60 days before, then another one 30 days before... I don't know if they continue sending them because I've always renewed my domains before 30 days, but you get the point.

And calling them thieves is ridiculous. You let a domain exprie, that means that it is available, why would someone be a thief for buying something?

fryman, Oct 14, 2005 IP
  6. SaN-DeeP

Best Answers:
    As already mentioned in the first post, hotel fellows are non technical guys

Domain Hogger registered this domain (backordered) and got it registered.
    domain hogger, approached hotel authorities demanding a huge amount in return for the domain name.. under 24 hours after the domain was registered on his name..

What do you call this activity ?

7. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    I call it business. I have something you want. Cool, how much are you willing to give me for it?

fryman, Oct 14, 2005 IP
  8. spdude

spdude Guest

Best Answers:
    hmmm.. when a domain expires, doesn't the website just get suspended for a few days. Why didn't your friends notice their website being down?

If like a month later (the website being down the whole time), nothing is done, then only does the domain become available for registration.

I thought that was the way it worked..

spdude, Oct 14, 2005 IP
  9. SaN-DeeP

Best Answers:
    You have something which already belonged to me couple of hours back.. without my knowledge you got the same..
    Now you come over to me, asking a huge sum for same..

I know it is business, but not a real good business.

10. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Well... not realy good business for you maybe, but for the person that was wise enough to see that some guy out there was too ignorant/lazy/dumb/careless about his domain and was going to let it expire then it sure is good business.

And I agree with Spdude, it's not like the domain expired yesterday and today it belongs to another person, there is a process designed to protect people like your friends and give them enough time to realize their screw up and get their domain renewed, if even with that they lost the domain then they just deserved it

fryman, Oct 14, 2005 IP
  11. RyanBlank

RyanBlank Guest

Best Answers:
    the process to lose an expired domain is actually a pretty long one. the initial owner usually has close to 2 months to get his/her act together and re-register. it's not as if the domain goes back into the buying pool one it's expired.

RyanBlank, Oct 14, 2005 IP
  12. cpmx

cpmx Peon

Best Answers:
    I pay in advance as many years as I can on my business domains, they are really valuable assets. I guess the hotel in question is not accustom to pay their bills on time.

Two years ago a friend of mine did the same thinking he will be able to re-register his domain. I learnt from his experience, he had a very good domain name.

cpmx, Oct 14, 2005 IP
  13. SaN-DeeP

Best Answers:
    Speaking with one the hotel authorities, i understand they are really non-technical people, not sure who/how registered there domain names.

14. INV

INV Peon

Best Answers:
    Many people consider this kind of activity sleazy and such. However, the market itself is very clean unlike many industries you can 'label' sleazy.
    Domain sellers are probably one of the most friendly people to deal with as well.

You don't see too many domain owners spamming you with "Buy this Domain!" message, or never ending popup advertising. It usually always clean transactions in a market place.

Beyond that... I just want to make a real life comparison. For example if you have a nice apartment you are renting, and you miss the monthly due. You get a warning, then another warning, then you finally get kicked out for not paying rent for over 2 months. Would I be sleazy if I move into your nice apartment that you didnt pay rent for?

INV, Oct 14, 2005 IP
    Epica likes this.
  15. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think about it this way ---

I dont renew my lease for my retail storefront, just paying month to month because I never make it to my landlord's office to sign a new lease. Someone else comes along and offers my landlord more money and a lease and I lose my storefront.

Who's to blame? I am. I didnt do what I was suppose to do. Plain and simple. Thats the point of the lease, to protect myself from someone coming along and offering more money for my space and my losing the storefront. If I didnt execute a new lease, its my fault. Blaming someone else, is just avoiding blame.

joeychgo, Oct 15, 2005 IP
  16. sachin410

sachin410 Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Register a new domain name. Hardly any business comes to Indian hotels via net.

Buy a new name xyz.in or xyz.co.in and inform your "domain hogger " that you dont need that older domain name.

sachin410, Oct 15, 2005 IP
  17. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    You can't trademark a domain. What you can do is approach the registering authority, for example, ICANN, Nominet, or whatever, and make the necessary moves to begin a legal process of re-acquiring the domain. There are committees and rules in place for just this type of situation. Since the person has already tried to sell the domain to the original owners, they don't have much of a case to defend.

mcfox, Oct 15, 2005 IP
  18. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thats not entirely true.

See: http://arb-forum.com/domains/

Paragraph 4(a) of the Policy requires that the Complainant must prove each of the following three elements to obtain an order that a domain name should be cancelled or transferred:

(1) the domain name registered by the Respondent is identical or confusingly similar to a trademark or service mark in which the Complainant has rights;

(2) the Respondent has no rights or legitimate interests in respect of the domain name; and

(3) the domain name has been registered and is being used in bad faith.​

If the company doesnt hold trademark rights, they have no case against the new owner of the domain. You dont have to hold a trademark registration to have trademark rights however. Research it more and you will see.

joeychgo, Oct 15, 2005 IP
  19. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    The domain, having already been used by the hotel would have the precedent, unless the domain was bought quite innocently and was being put to some other use; however in this case the new owner has already tried to sell the domain back to the hotel for a hefty fee which, based on previous rulings, is typically viewed as being used in bad faith.

mcfox, Oct 15, 2005 IP
  20. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    That doesn't wash. We had a situation where the city council botched sending out the liquor license renewal notices and a stack of bars lost their license to sell alcohol. At the end of the day if you have something important you mark it in your diary etc and you don't rely on other people to remind you. It's nothing to do with being technical.

BTW: In NZ we have 90 days to renew

Oh, and I have let a domain expire, I'd lost the email address and the site doesn't get alot of attention from us, and I hadn't diaried the expiry. It only took a day, though, for the emails to flood in telling us that there was something wrong with the site.

sarahk, Oct 15, 2005 IP
    Roman likes this.