1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ubuntu vs Windows

Discussion in 'Bing' started by guppyman, May 11, 2007.

1. rlerza

rlerza Peon

Best Answers:
    I love Ubuntu, since I started using it a few year ago I never looked back, though I know sometimes it can make life difficult but for that price, hey, what else can you ask for?

rlerza, Dec 13, 2010 IP
  2. Cozmic

Cozmic Member

Best Answers:
    Both Mac and Windows are main-stream, thus are for conformists. Only a small, techie, super-cool minority uses linux. :D I'm not a fan of anything apple, really. Why spend 2x or even 4x the amount you'd spend for a normal laptop to buy a mac? It's a useless expense. Also the droid is simply better than the iPhone, IMO.

Conformist! :eek:

Not necessarily true. If you have a stupid relative on your network they can get a virus and your entire network will have viruses (unless there is a compatability error, such as having ubuntu :p)

ORLY? What doesn't have tons of programs?

Incorrect. Linux is free, as well as a lot of its software.

That is generally true, but there are some generous individuals that offer their ideas/innovations/software for free. Benjamin Franklin never issued a patent on any of his inventions, as he believed in what is now called the open-source development.

Free software is often better than paid software because of open source development. When software is exclusive to the original developers it will only expand to cover whatever they add to it. Many open source programs, which are common on linux, have plugin systems to allow features to be added by users. Very few paid programs have large amounts of plugins.Linux has developed itself using the open source model, as it has been expanded on by many differant groups ever since it was first introduced. Ubuntu and a few others have emerged as the leaders because they are the best distributions. Some day they may very well be replaced by a new distribution which does a better job, or even branches off one of the current-generation operating systems.

I haz suggestion. Why not do exactly what you're doing right now except use ubuntu to surf the internet and boot windows for all your fancy paid software? Problem solved. I keep a windows computer for that purpose as well.

CONFORMIST! :eek:

Cozmic, Dec 13, 2010 IP
  3. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Um, except for the desktop, the rest of the world mostly runs on *nix/BSD.
    Apple guarantees all its hardware works together. Microsoft doesn't. Apple guarantees all its software/drivers work together. Microsoft doesn't. Apple has places you can bring your computer to if it doesn't work. Microsoft doesn't. Apple is #1 in every category in Consumer Reports lists of recommended computers.
    Obviously not.
    As a DroidX owner, I question that but I don't have a lot of experience with the iPhone.
    It's easy to get tricked into clicking on something, too.
    Much of the software on *nix is also written and supported by large corporations who also provide developers for maintenance and support. OpenOffice is supported by Sun (now Oracle) and Apache is supported by IBM among many others.
    The first time I tried Linux was through Wubi, a dual boot program. I found I never used Windows and just deleted Windows altogether.

drhowarddrfine, Dec 13, 2010 IP
  4. Cozmic

Cozmic Member

Best Answers:
    Most personal computers run on windows.I do agree that linux is vcery popular professionally.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9142978/Windows_market_share_slide_resumes

That article says that as of last year, windows had a 90% market share (including androids/iphones)

Meh. I still don't see any patciular reason to pay a couple thousand dollars for a computer.

Obviously not in your opinion.

Indeed it is, but the message I quoted in my post claimed that those who click on things they shouldn't are "morons".

True.

Yeah. Same sort of thing with me. One day I just thought "why do I need windows again?" and started using a linux desktop, keeping my windows laptop for whenever I need windows for compatibility.

Cozmic, Dec 13, 2010 IP
  5. The-Joker

The-Joker Peon

Best Answers:
    Market share of Linux is only 4 per cent. Where Windows own 91 per cent and Mac owns 5 per cent. On what basis did you made that comment. Please share

Microsoft don't make hardware. And you my friend probably haven't experienced Apple's support. Its one of the worst in the world. Trust me, I have experienced that. It Sucks.

I have used both, DroidX is better than iPhone.

Its true in some cases, iPad is worth the money but Mac isn't. Windows 7 powered laptop offers everything a Mac does and that too at half the price.

Couldn't agree more.

Your earlier posts also suggest that you haven't used Windows for quite some time and yet you are bashing Windows. Dude don't you think you're being little biased.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
    The-Joker, Dec 13, 2010 IP
  6. Cozmic

Cozmic Member

Best Answers:
    Do you also believe that the windows-users on this thread who don't use linux very much are biased? Someone said a couple posts ago that they only used ubuntu to play around with every now and then, but he never used it fully. Is he also biased?

Cozmic, Dec 13, 2010 IP
  7. The-Joker

The-Joker Peon

Best Answers:
    I think anyone who hasn't used both Linux and Windows in past few years should not take sides. there are windows users who haven't used Linux and yet thrash it, which is stupid and of course biased as well.

The-Joker, Dec 13, 2010 IP
  8. cluongo18

cluongo18 Member

Best Answers:
    I mean when theres two choices in the market to buy a Mac or a PC, conformity wouldn't really be an issue, seeing as theres 2 options. The difference is people dont buy PC's to look cool (ahem Mac, ahem Hipsters)

But sure, I will then dub you a conformist for using Ubuntu because its the "cool thing to do" as this thread has shown.

Linux doesn't have tons of programs compared to Windows. Yes, Linux is free along with most of its software. So are blowjobs from Leroy the crack head in Detroit. Your choice.

I like to have programs that are used by the majority of industry professionals. It allows me to find more training for the program, manual script, communities based on it, yadda yadda, certificates. Yea Open-Source programs have a couple active communities for help but nothing is in stone. Shit is always breaking and all f'd up. I find "the real deals" to be more stable, and when a major company fixes something that happens to be unstable, they fix it.

I like my fancy software it makes me feel good and warm inside knowing I have the best. Same thing if I made a six figure salary and drove a nice fancy BMW, I would love it because its the best. Then they're people like you who want to be different and drive a honda civic from Craigslist. It came with a free set of rims! And free bumper stickers alright!

cluongo18, Dec 13, 2010 IP
  9. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Of the desktop only. Windows phones are only about 7% of that market.
    So Mom, Dad, Grandma, sister don't ever have to worry about anything not working. Maintainability. Reliability.
    Somewhere around this forum I showed a link to the actual cost of owning a Mac vs Windows. Macs are cheaper in the long run.
    This happened to me once, years ago. Looked at email just after waking up one day. Thought it was from Amazon and clicked on a link and that was that.

drhowarddrfine, Dec 14, 2010 IP
  10. rockyg

rockyg Peon

Best Answers:
    I use both Ubuntu and Windows and I'd much prefer Ubuntu. It's more stable, free, fast (the loading time is incredibly quick) and uncomplicated in that it doesn't take a whole load of shell commands - everything (if you want it) can be done by point and click.

It's a shame more people don't try open-source OS. If they were buying PC's without having Windows shoved onto them, they might consider it.

rockyg, Dec 14, 2010 IP
  11. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    As I said, THE DESKTOP is where Windows dominates. Everywhere else, Microsoft is a minor player.
    As I said, one of the benefits of Apple computers is you get hardware and software support from Apple. You get no such support from Microsoft.
    I repeat, Consumer Reports, every year for the last 7 years, rates Apple support #1 over all other companies. If you don't know what Consumer Reports is, I'll explain if you ask.
    Again, if you look at price alone, Windows is cheaper. If you look at maintainability and reliability, Macs are cheaper.
    If you want to say I'm biased because I have experience with Windows and *nix/BSD and base my opinions on that then, yes, I'm biased. Here's my current Windows status. I have one box with XP on it that I use for testing web sites in IE. Except for updates, I never touch the thing. My wife runs XP on her computer but only so she can use Quickbooks for out business. My #2 son has a laptop at college but he's getting a Mac because everyone at his school, including teachers and staff, use Macs. #1 son runs Windows7 but he's a big time gamer. I never touch his system.

Out of all the systems I mentioned before that I maintain, the only ones I ever have to mess with are the Windows systems. But I don't use Windows myself so I forget where to find settings or what needs to be changed. So I have to go to Microsoft's knowledge base or Google. Most of the time, Microsft does not have the answer and Google gets me to a lot of useless forums with no solutions. I've learned to hate getting Windows support calls.

12. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    So people are not buying Windows7 to look cool? Despite such claims about Macs, functionality is still important and people wouldn't buy them if that was missing.
    You can go to a garbage dump and maybe find a wonderful chair but most of the stuff there is garbage.
    Soooooo how do you know Leroy?
    And this is the proof that you don't know what you're talking about.
    Yeah, Internet Explorer is greeeaaattt. They fix that every 5 years or so, right?
    What you're saying is you like pretty, blinking lights over substance. As I said before, Windows gives the user pretty blinking lights but, to get real work done by professionals, you use a Mac truck. No construction worker would ever bring the family van to a real job site.

13. Genesis1

Genesis1 Peon

Best Answers:
    ubuntu, it's free

Genesis1, Dec 14, 2010 IP
  14. coolashish

coolashish Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    ofcourse windows is much better, but only advantage of linux is that it is open source.

coolashish, Dec 14, 2010 IP
  15. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    @coolashish - You don't know what you're talking about.

16. JSProjects

JSProjects Member

Best Answers:
    Big Ubuntu fan here. I run it on my netbook and general purpose laptop. My desktop is still Windows. It's just easier since I run a lot of "Windows only" software on it. I know about Wine and Virtualbox, but it's not quite the same.

JSProjects, Dec 14, 2010 IP
  17. Cozmic

Cozmic Member

Best Answers:
    Well, FYI, I've used both a lot recently.

Windows users are conformists. I don't care what OS your computer is shipped with, but what you put on it. Anyway, what you said is slightly incorrect. You can buy a couple parts and throw a computer together yourself. I've built a computer before and it isn't actually that hard if you have the parts.

Ubuntu has less than 5% of the market share, does it not? Anyway, I've used ubuntu long before this thread was even posted.

They both have more than enough programs. People only use the industry leader (or the best they can buy with their budget) in regards to software. If I can install GIMP then why do I have to install some crappy editor written by a 13 year old? Seriously, how many programs do you have installed on your computer? You likely have less than 1% of the total available programs for windows installed on your computer.

Do you have a wamp server installed on your computer? If you, you committed the very crime you are accusing linux users of committing. No one using wamp servers professionally.

Bill gates does not have a monopoly on quality.

Cozmic, Dec 14, 2010 IP
  18. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    You said Windows made up 95% of the market, including phones. Unless I mis-read you.
    Pick up the current issue of Consumer Reports or the issue or two back where computers are rated.
    The price of the OS is small compared to the rest of the system. However, as I said, Apple guarantees the system, as a whole, works together.
    Hardly. He's seen how everyone else's Macs work and he's fallen in love with it.

19. sizzlefire

sizzlefire Member

Best Answers:
    Since I do some work for multiple webhosting companies and free users just love to upload content that contains viruses or malware of some sort, I almost always use Ubuntu for doing such work. I also have a few Windows machines, but I have used Ubuntu so much that I have grown to like it more than windows, and if I didn't have to share my other computers with other people they most likely would not still be running it.

sizzlefire, Dec 14, 2010 IP
  20. renlok

renlok Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    how about photoshop, illustrator and dreamweaver im pretty sure linux has none of these.

renlok, Dec 14, 2010 IP