1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ubuntu vs Windows

Discussion in 'Bing' started by guppyman, May 11, 2007.

1. etc

etc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    one thing linux users are still envious to windows though is that seo software such as article spinner don't work in linux even when using wine.
    i myself tested those programs in my slackware box and it didn't work

etc, Dec 11, 2010 IP
  2. Lee Lawson

Lee Lawson Peon

Best Answers:
    Windows without a doubt.

Lee Lawson, Dec 11, 2010 IP
  3. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Except you didn't test the hundreds of article spinners that work fine on Linux. That's one thing that Windows users are envious of on Linux, the many Linux programs that Windows can't run.

drhowarddrfine, Dec 11, 2010 IP
  4. maxgates

maxgates Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    According to me both Ubuntu and Windows are great but Windows has a much larger selection of available softwares applications and games. This gives Windows advantage over Ubuntu. However Ubuntu is much more secure.

maxgates, Dec 11, 2010 IP
  5. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    FreeBSD has about 30,000 applications so Linux has at least that many so how many more do you need? Most of these applications for Windows are pure crap and you don't need more than 10 in any one category.

Besides, this doesn't matter. Windows is strictly for amateurs and game players. *nix is for professionals.

drhowarddrfine, Dec 11, 2010 IP
  6. etc

etc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    there are more software in linux that in windows and all of it can just be install in a command.

can you name which article spinner that works in linux? haven't tried all though.

etc, Dec 11, 2010 IP
  7. maxgates

Best Answers:
    Linux may have 30,000 plus applications but not good enough alternatives for popular Windows softwares like Photoshop, Pagemaker, Office etc.

Besides Windows is designed for average users. The basic idea behind Windows was to simplify OS so everyone can use a PC. It support more softwares and popular games which makes it attractive to average user.Anyway both Windows and Ubuntu are great OS. There is no need to compare them with each other. Its a debate with no conclusion.

maxgates, Dec 11, 2010 IP
  8. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Google for "article spinner linux".

drhowarddrfine, Dec 12, 2010 IP
  9. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    The Gimp, Scribus, OpenOffice/LibreOffice, etc. All do all the features for free that 99% of you ever use or need. Of course, this is not the fault of Linux but the software vendors fault for not compiling a version for *nix.
    That's what I said but, in a professional environment, the best tool is *nix/BSD. Windows is strictly for amateurs.
    Well, no, it's easy to compare the features of the operating itself, as long as you leave the windowing environment out of it and realize that has nothing to do with the operating system. *nix spits in Windows face.

10. RapidServers

RapidServers Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd personally suggest Windows if you are a home user. Otherwise I'd suggest Ubuntu.

RapidServers, Dec 12, 2010 IP
  11. ComputerGirl

ComputerGirl Active Member

Best Answers:
    At the moment I use Ubuntu, so I would have to vote for it, but in other circumstances probably I would say Windows. It was pretty hard to start using Ubuntu, but now some time has gone and I even have used to it and even like somehow! :) but still of course those times when I cannot to make some software that I would like on Ubuntu I am a little disappointed and then I have to pull out my old IBM with Windows on it!

ComputerGirl, Dec 12, 2010 IP
  12. maxgates

Best Answers:
    These software are nice but not good enough alternatives for Office, Photoshop etc.

If you put aside your personal issues with Microsoft, take off your biased glasses and judge from a neutral point of view like a adult instead of 7 year old kid then you'll see that both OS are great and there is no need to compare them with each other. I really don't have time to play childish games with you.

maxgates, Dec 12, 2010 IP
  13. etc

etc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    They only differ to prices where in linux is free. but definitely theyre great OS.

etc, Dec 12, 2010 IP
  14. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    In what way? My company uses all those exclusively and we do very, very well for ourselves. They do everything we did when we had Photoshop, etc.
    My point of view is from experience and knowledge, not guesswork. My company, and myself, switched from Windows years ago. *nix/BSD are superior operating systems that run rings around Windows. Can you install Windows on a remote PC, from miles away, with no CD and without physically touching the remote PC? Can you run Office on your PC from an install on a remote PC with no local install? Can you....
    Yes, only an experience person with some knowledge could do that so, please go away since you obviously have none.

15. ibanezgrx1

ibanezgrx1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Mr. smart ass have you ever used Open Office????? You have no idea what this beast can do. Looks like you got so much money to pay for office/photoshop etc. Well, you know what many of us don't have/ or don't want to get ripped off where there are beautiful and much powerful open source alternatives out there.

Who sounds biased?? YOU. And comparison iS off course needed. It doesn't look like you have used Linux at all. Guys who speak highly of Linux are actually people who have used both has that much sensibility in them to judge which one is better.
    Do you have any idea how pathetic Windows technically is? How vulnerable it is to the most common security threats? Hell, I can make a virus that will make your windows powered machine wreck. Nearly all of the worlds largest companies host on Linux servers(rumors has it its including MS) Do you know most giant technical companies(including GOOGLE) don't let their employees work with windows in their offices? You wanna know why? Because windows is just pathetic.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
    ibanezgrx1, Dec 12, 2010 IP
  16. ibanezgrx1

ibanezgrx1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    He doesn't have an open mind to see the power of open source either.

ibanezgrx1, Dec 12, 2010 IP
  17. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    @ibanezgrx1 - it's so rare to find anyone who realizes these things on DP.

18. Joel Lopez M.

Joel Lopez M. Guest

Best Answers:
    I think Linux is best when you have a netbook.

Joel Lopez M., Dec 12, 2010 IP
  19. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Linux runs the internet. It works great on netbooks, too.

20. chaukar

chaukar Peon

Best Answers:
    Ir really depends on the user needs.

As a designer I would prefer Windows over Ubuntu, because a lot of Adobe software doesn't run under Ubuntu. I managed to run PS CS5 portable on Linux, but still a lot of software doesn't run on a ubuntu machine. I also think that Ubuntu doesn't have any good and PROFESSIONAL video editing software. Openshot or Kdenlive, they crash all the time and I wouldn't call it professional software. You won't find a good alternative to Adobe Premiere and After effects that runs on a Linux machine. Also as a WEBdesigner I prefer Windows, because testing websites in IE will be a lot easier.

As a developer I think Ubuntu would be fine. Popular tools like Netbeans run on Ubuntu machines. Also the texteditor gedit has syntax highlights just like notepad++ for Windows.

As a normal pc user (not a gamer) I think Ubuntu will be fine too. The system is a lot faster in general. Playing movies is no problem and they have open office and abiword instead of MS office. Gimp is good enough for simple photo editing. Also no more virusses :)

As a developer I can recommend Ubuntu :)

Also Linux servers are far more powerfull than Windows servers.

chaukar, Dec 12, 2010 IP