1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ubuntu vs Windows

Discussion in 'Bing' started by guppyman, May 11, 2007.

1. pamela88

pamela88 Peon

Best Answers:
    I love Ubuntu it is free but I use windows.

pamela88, Aug 17, 2011 IP
  2. Pratik Bhatt

Pratik Bhatt Peon

Best Answers:
    Both the system have different platform so comparison is bit tough to do for? Because the Ubuntu runs on server side so for networking people and network areas it is best and on other side for the user purpose the Window is best, so both have the own uniqueness with the facilities.

Pratik Bhatt, Aug 17, 2011 IP
  3. arena2

arena2 Peon

Best Answers:
    I thing the main difference between the ubuntu and windows is that ubuntu is the graphics user interface of linux and windows is the product of microsoft.because if we can see that linux is used as a open source operating but we can not use the windows as like linux version ubuntu. and windows is more user friendly than linux

arena2, Aug 18, 2011 IP
  4. kellylsn

kellylsn Peon

Best Answers:
    Ubuntu is good but I like windows to use, Because windows is so easy to use for even novice users.

kellylsn, Aug 18, 2011 IP
  5. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    4 1/2 years of the DP braintrust keeping this useless thread alive. Simply amazing. No wonder people make fun of this place.

drhowarddrfine, Aug 19, 2011 IP
  6. David Walker

David Walker Peon

Best Answers:
    Well from the early days of windows 3.0, i have always heard security loop holes of windows operating system and there have been unedning problems faced by the users. On the other hand ubuntu users hardly have any crashes. Used ubuntu and will always say unbuntu is far far better tahn windows. there are software related compatibility problems but it is worth the effort for a much better OS.

David Walker, Aug 19, 2011 IP
  7. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    What compatibility problems?

drhowarddrfine, Aug 19, 2011 IP
  8. the_edsel

the_edsel Peon

Best Answers:
    i chose windows...more easy install driver, but when i need secure and reliability i chosee ubuntu...

the_edsel, Aug 20, 2011 IP
  9. R3vProxy

R3vProxy Peon

Best Answers:
    Linux and Windows are both important, both of them hav there cons and pros

R3vProxy, Aug 25, 2011 IP
  10. thetechtalk

thetechtalk Active Member

Best Answers:
    Linux is generally faster than Windows, no question. The big question is do you do games? Gaming doesn't work on Linux. everything else is great.

I'd recommend, Fedora though, not Ubuntu.

thetechtalk, Aug 26, 2011 IP
  11. john45

john45 Peon

Best Answers:
    First the meaning of the word Ubuntu. In some African villages it is the custom of every home to keep one meal as a reserve for any stranger who may walk in unannounced. This is known as Ubuntu. It also means humanity, helping others etc. There is a video clip of Nelson Mandela explaining Ubuntu on the internet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODQ4WiDsE…

I am using Linux for last 16 years and not on a single occassion was it infected by virus or malware. I am presently using Ubuntu 10.10 and it is 20% faster on the internet compared to windows.

But if your main interest is games then go for Windows only. Linux is poor where games are concerned. Also for some of the peripherals like scanners and USB TV tuners no drivers are available in Linux.
    In conclusion I will say Linux is Stable, flexible and versatile. And "Linux is free as in freedom".

john45, Aug 26, 2011 IP
  12. webhustla

webhustla Peon

Best Answers:
    Linux and Ubuntu is great if you only listen to music, edit some photos and upload them surf the Web and read your emails - try to do any serious work like video editing (or even playback in my case with the ATi video card) adn you're going to want to hang yourself :). Seriously, something's not working - you have to edit a ton of settings manually, most of them obscure to the regular user. For me, video playback was not working period except for AVI files, Wifi did not work because the installer didn't remove the lock, graphics acceleration did not work because of lack of drivers, hibernate, suspend do not work, and a lot of other stuff does not work. BUT you can make it look like Mac OS X, so there's a plus :)!

webhustla, Aug 29, 2011 IP
  13. StyXoN

StyXoN Peon

Best Answers:
    Tried ubunto several times, don't like it... I prefer Windows 7 :p

StyXoN, Aug 31, 2011 IP
  14. zinghana

zinghana Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Been using ubuntu a bit latley, as a web designer it really lags behind in terms of image editing etc and does require one to be a little more tech savy / a higher nerdyness knowledge but for general browsing it's quite handy.

Still prefer Windows 7.. but ubuntu is good for a change up and a good option if you can't afford windows 7.

zinghana, Aug 31, 2011 IP
  15. R3vProxy

R3vProxy Peon

Best Answers:
    Advantage of Linux OS,
    No Virus Can infect your PC.. unless you run it..

R3vProxy, Aug 31, 2011 IP
  16. Dropkickdragout

Dropkickdragout Peon

Best Answers:
    I use windows 7 pro for my desktop but my server box runs CentOS. I love CentOS and eventually hope to become comfortable enough with it to switch over my desktop as well.

Dropkickdragout, Sep 2, 2011 IP
  17. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No virus can infect any computer unless it runs. Can a virus be written to run on a *nix computer without the user giving it permission? Not only can, it's been done many times. The difference between viruses on Windows and *nix are 1) it's easier for script kiddies to write viruses in VBScript and 2) most Windows users are so clueless that it's trivial to get them to run a virus. (Since they run with extensions hidden, but they know what extensions are, they'll try to open a file named something.jpg.exe - where only the something.jpg part shows.)

Basically, Windows is a toy operating system for people who don't use computers seriously. *nix is a lot better, but - as with most things - using it properly takes effort, both in the actual use and in learning how to use it. Most people are lazy. You get better gas mileage and lower repair bills with a standard transmission, but most people can't drive one. (And most who do, do it for the prestige, not for the efficiency or lower cost.) Same with operating systems - many people who run only Linux do it so they can say they do. Windows came out because DOS was "too hard" for most people.

Rukbat, Sep 2, 2011 IP
  18. rockeerz

rockeerz Active Member

Best Answers:
    Go for VMware

where you install Different OS in that can be used

rockeerz, Sep 6, 2011 IP
  19. porimol

porimol Peon

Best Answers:
    Most three-year-old companies wouldn’t be considered grisly, experienced veterans, but when you’re talking about the mobile space, innovation ages faster than exponential dog years. At PointAbout, we’ve been racing just in front of the bleeding edge since our inception. Our first efforts in mobile development were based on location-aware applications and mobile device plug-ins back when FourSquare was still just a game kids played at recess. Simply put, global brands trust us with their most daunting development projects because they understand
    the potential cost of things going awry if they’re not working with the best. Why would your organization think any differently? With our unique capabilities in project management, needs assessments and integrated strategies for the enterprise, you can rest assured you’re working with the preeminent team of mobile-oriented minds in the marketplace.
    [FONT=&amp][/FONT]

porimol, Sep 10, 2011 IP
  20. Server Guru

Server Guru Peon

Best Answers:
    I love fedora. Ubuntu is just not made for me. :D

Server Guru, Sep 10, 2011 IP