1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

U.S. Recession May Have Begun in Last Quarter of 2007

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by guru-seo, Jul 31, 2008.

1. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Technically speaking from a more layman view of a 2 consecutive decrease in GDP, it is not a recession as the first quarter of 2008 gives a paltry 0.9% growth. The National Bureau of Economic Research has not announced the recession yet. But of course that does not mean that we are not in a recession as GDP is a lagging indicator.

wisdomtool, Jul 31, 2008 IP
  2. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think we are getting caught up in technicalities and technical analysis rather than focusing more on issues/solutions.

lightless, Jul 31, 2008 IP
    bogart likes this.
  3. pingpong123

pingpong123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Even in southern cali, good businesses are almost impossible to find at a good price because if you have a good business that is surviving these economic conditions than you treat it like a diamond or gold.

pingpong123, Jul 31, 2008 IP
  4. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Some parts of the US are in a recession like California where the unemployment rate is 6.6%. Other states that are in a recession are Ohio and Michigan. Farm and oil producing states like Wyoming, North and South Dakota, and Texas are better.

bogart, Jul 31, 2008 IP
  5. korr

korr Peon

Best Answers:
    I use a unique deflator based on subsistence living and ROI of a diverse investment portfolio.. I call it "the personal budget of a fiscal conservative" and I figure that the recession started in Q3 2007.

korr, Jul 31, 2008 IP
    bogart likes this.
  6. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    4th quarter 2007 was revised down to -0.2% and 1st quarter 2008 was 0.9%. At the least it's vey close to a recession. I would expect NBER to declare one. Unemployment is a lagging indicator and it's not at 5.7% with 6 months of job losses.

I would expect that in 2009 we have a 'double dip' recession.

bogart, Aug 3, 2008 IP