1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

U.S. High School Students?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by jrbiz, May 27, 2015.

Hi,

I have recently gotten involved with a mobile app manufacturer that is targeting U.S. high school students. We are looking to increase downloads of the free app and have had some success with having a couple of Twitter "celebrities" with large high school followings to publicize the app and post a link to the download. I would like your thoughts on a couple of issues:

1. Who on Twitter and Instagram should we seek out for similar promotions? Obviously, they need to have large followings of U.S. high school kids.

2. What other marketing approaches would you recommend? Note that I am not interested in buying traffic or downloads from incentivized networks or anything like that. We want to recruit quality high school students who will not only download but also use the app (which is really cool and can be very helpful to them.)

Thanks in advance for any ideas or assistance you can provide.

jrbiz, May 27, 2015 IP
  2. Doctor Tech

Doctor Tech Member

Best Answers:
    A lot of schools now have community pages on social networks (like a "spotted" page). Not all schools have them, but it's worth a try.

Doctor Tech, May 27, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  3. SuperMechs

SuperMechs Member

Best Answers:
    Lots of pop artists run around on Twitter with their management teams now, maybe tweet some of those. High schools also usually have their own Twitter accounts to inform students of snow days and such, so try contacting them directly, if your app really will help their students they have no reason to say no.

SuperMechs, May 27, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  4. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks @Doctor Tech and @SuperMechs for the ideas about chasing schools. We have had some small successes with a High School Ambassador program and some outreach activities to school guidance counselors, but they did not produce an awful lot.

jrbiz, May 27, 2015 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Depends on the type of app, but the "beauty gurus" that my daughter follows would be a good place to start. Some have just been on an all expenses paid trip to NZ because their influence is so great. It's an amazing world these kids live in!

sarahk, May 27, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  6. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    My daughter recommended some of those folks on Twitter and Instagram, but if your daughter is up for sharing her list, I would love to see it.

jrbiz, May 28, 2015 IP
  7. evenues

evenues Active Member

Best Answers:
    jrbiz, whats your app about? I work for a company targeting US students (High School+College). We too tried twitter outreach to influencers. Its a painstakingly slow process and most of them who are worth their salt ask for a good fees.
    Another thing which works for us is co-promotion with companies selling complimentary services. You could try that.
    Would love to hear more about you and the app to see if we could do a co-promotion.

evenues, Aug 14, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.