1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Two Questions With Regard To Amazon.

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by mammal, Feb 6, 2013.

Hello everybody, I´m new to this forum. I would like to ask you two question.

-If you purchase an item in amazon from your blog, do you get the comission?.
    - I would also like to know how much traffic do you need to make some decent sums of money.

(I´m sorry if my English is not accurate, I´m Spanish).

mammal, Feb 6, 2013 IP
  2. nihangshah

nihangshah Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    1. If you click on your own affiliate link and purchase any item, you won't get any commission. You can't allow your friends and family to shop from your affiliate link. Amazon would get suspicious and suspend your account.

Spread affiliate links on your blog or website, so that visitors click on the product, buy it and you'll get the commission when that product is shipped.

2.emvy548 explains it nicely in this post. If you can get 450 visitors to your pages, then you can make around $1000 per month.

nihangshah, Feb 6, 2013 IP
  3. mammal

mammal Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the information. But how does amazon know about my friends and family?

mammal, Feb 6, 2013 IP
  4. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    They don't know and don't care - that is bad information. You are not allowed to buy from your own affiliate link, but if friends or family follow your links you will get paid and there is no issue there.

browntwn, Feb 6, 2013 IP
  5. nihangshah

Best Answers:
  6. browntwn

Best Answers:

I did have to read it twice, but I stand by my position. At first glance it *sounds* like what you are saying, and that is probably intentional on their part, but it is actually *not* saying what you are saying.

First, this is about Associates placing orders for themselves as the section heading shows. Second, it is specifically referring to products you purchased during sessions initiated though your own Associates links. The key sentence, which starts, "This includes" is to further describe those purchases made by you though your own links. It is a clarification basically saying that it does not matter who you are buying the products for or who may eventually use them. So, if you buy something for a friend, or for family, or for an associate, or on behalf of anyone you still don't get commission. These are all situations where you are doing the buying. Basically, they don't want you to argue that you bought it for your mom or your friend so you really should get a commission. If you buy it through your link you get no commission regardless of who the product is for.

Nowhere does it say that your friends or family cannot buy products for themselves though your links.

You may not purchase though your own links. <-- this is the rule
    The following clarifies the rule, but is still talking about orders placed by you initiated through your own product links. That sentence is saying that the orders you wont get paid for include all of those things listed.

This includes orders for:
    • customers
    • orders on behalf of customers
    • orders for products to be used by you
    • orders for products to be used by your friends
    • orders for products to be used by your relatives
    • orders for products to be used by your associates

browntwn, Feb 6, 2013 IP
  7. point2

point2 Active Member

Best Answers:

browntwn is correct.. you can't purchase but your friends and family can.

AS for traffic, there is no exact number. i have a site that gets like 3000 unique per month but not a single sale and i have site with less or half the traffic and i get sales..

point2, Feb 6, 2013 IP
  8. nihangshah

Best Answers:
    [​IMG]

See the Operating Agreement - Part 7 ("digital product"). Friends and family are allowed to use your affiliate links, but Amazon won't pay you any commission.

You're saying "if friends or family follow your links you will get paid".

9. point2

point2 Active Member

Best Answers:

Still got it wrong..

"any Product purchased through a Special Link by you or on your behalf, including Products you purchase through Special Links for yourself, friends, relatives, or associates (e.g., personal orders, orders for your own use, and orders placed by you for or on behalf of any other person or entity);"

Basically it means: if YOU purchase for yourself or for anyone else you won't get paid. BUT you will get paid if your friends and family will purchase.. Please check the examples..

Hope that clears things up..

point2, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  10. browntwn

Best Answers:
    YOU ARE WRONG. That only applies to products purchased "BY YOU" or "ON YOUR BEHALF", it does not apply to products purchased by friends or family for themselves.

I am surprised you are not acknowledging the plain meaning of the words even after I took the time to explain it. I shouldn't be, in my 20 years of practicing law I have come across others who are as obstinate. :)

qKyHuxa.jpg

browntwn, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  11. nihangshah

Best Answers:
    Then why Amazon specifically put the words, 'friends, relatives, or associates' in the agreement?

nihangshah, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  12. browntwn

Best Answers:
    Because the words before it say, "products you purchase" ... "for friends, relatives, or associates", and what they are saying is that even if you purchase something for someone else you still do not get paid if you bought it through your own link. So if I buy my parents something, with their money, for them, but I buy it though my own link I do not get paid. It should be obvious, but they want to make it explicit that you will not get paid if you buy though your own link, no matter who you are buying it for.

browntwn, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  13. nihangshah

Best Answers:
    You're wrong. It does apply.

Proof #1 by 'vj1965'[​IMG]
    Source: forums.prospero.com/am-associhelp/messages?msg=41705.2

Proof #2 by 'SusanTN'[​IMG]
    Source: forums.prospero.com/am-associhelp/messages?msg=41767.2

Proof #3 posted by 'Cheap Chick'[​IMG]
    Source: forums.prospero.com/am-associhelp/messages?msg=41690.1

Proof #4 posted by 'Rexanne'
    [​IMG]

Source: http://www.abestweb.com/forums/amazon-80/can-you-buy-yourself-70503.html
    (post #22)

Proof #5 by 'Amazon Associates Customer Care'
    [​IMG]
    Source: http://mytechtrek.wordpress.com/tag/amazon-com-associates-program/

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
    nihangshah, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  14. nihangshah

Best Answers:
  15. browntwn

Best Answers:
    You go ahead and believe whatever you want to believe, I have no desire to waste more of my time on this.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
    browntwn, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  16. nihangshah

Best Answers:
    Sure, I'm going to follow what Amazon officials have replied to some of their Associates as in proof #5 and #6, not you.

nihangshah, Feb 8, 2013 IP
  17. browntwn

Best Answers:
    Yeah, you seem really concerned with following the rules. I especially like the link in your signature. I am sure Amazon loves it too. You are promoting that people fake and spoof referrers to Amazon.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
    browntwn, Feb 8, 2013 IP
  18. nihangshah

Best Answers:
    Those shortened links are called 'Amazon Associates Bookmarklets' available here, here and here. It clearly shows 'amazon.com' URL followed by ASIN code and then affiliate tag. An Amazon.com Official Representative is posting video game deals using same shortened links.

The difference in forum thread is affiliate links are inside post, but in my case it's in signature link. Where's the spoofing and faking?

They give me success message at Amazon Associate Link Checker. And, it's perfectly okay to use affiliate links inside signature link on DigitalPoint forums.

Also, I've contributed 384 posts in Amazon forum, while you have only 7 posts! You also quickly changed actual discussion topic and therefore I'm no longer watching this thread.

19. browntwn

Best Answers:
    You have TWO links in your signature. One promoting Amazon with your affiliate code, and the other promoting a blackhat blog. Nobody said anything was wrong with your affiliate link. It is just that you have to be an idiot to promote fraud against Amazon in the same signature in your blackhat link. You just mistakenly assumed I was talking about your amazon aff link, and not the blackhat link. Pretty stupid since I quoted the blog in my post.

Screen shot 2013-02-08 at 1.46.57 PM.png
    (These urls are posted to show what urls are in the picture above. The affiliate part has been separated with a space. :))
    http://wpblackhat.com/wpblog/ http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1442402970?tag= tupler-20

In the blackhat blog you are promoting in your signature it says, as I quoted before:

"Amazon, with one of the biggest affiliate programs, are routinely terminating accounts which completely blank all referrers – so be be warned! Spoofing or faking the referrer is the way to GO!"

As for changing the topic, there is no need to discuss further. I have cited Amazon's actual terms of service. There is really nothing else to discuss.

browntwn, Feb 8, 2013 IP
  20. nihangshah

Best Answers: