1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Two Outlook email clients on same machine?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jrbiz, Aug 27, 2014.

Hi,

I have an old WinVista machine that is just about dead. I have gotten all of the apps that I used on it over to a Win7 machine. The one problem that remains is that I have a version of Outlook on both machines and each version covers multiple (different) email addresses that I have.

It has been very convenient to have the separation of email accounts (some are more important that others, e.g.) and my Win7 machine's Outlook is a little screwed up because of a company that I am involved with and its Googlemail account and need for synchronization. So my preference would be to have a separate version of Outlook running on the Win7 with just the WinVista email addresses while the original Outlook on the Win7 stays untouched. I don't think that is possible, but would like to get an expert opinion on this.

In the case that two Outlooks cannot be installed on the same machine, what email client would you recommend, especially if it can support Outlook calendaring really well.

Thanks!

jrbiz, Aug 27, 2014 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I got stuck on the "I want to use outlook" :)
    Use gmail - stump up the $50 for Transcend's email porting tool, apply the right labels etc

I did that for my husband earlier this year and imported all his emails from 2006 onwards. Great searching ability etc.

sarahk, Aug 27, 2014 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  3. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Several of my email accounts are from companies that are using the google email platform. The issue for me is that in my industry it is very common for businesspeople to send Outlook calendar invites to each other to propose and accept a date/time for a meeting. It is the only invite that I have ever received and I receive several each week from partners, customers, colleagues, etc. I know that some other email programs do not support these calendar items very well, as some colleagues complain about their inability to "see" and "accept" Outlook invites into their calendar. Much like Word and Excel, Outlook is a still very much in use in my business world, anyway.

jrbiz, Aug 27, 2014 IP
  4. Sycrid

Sycrid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just throwing this out there. Can you not just put two user profiles on windows and then have out look connect to different accounts in each profile.. I know it's annoying but it's something.

Avoid Gmail if you want the calendar invites.. this just will not work. (I believe there may be a bit of software you can buy to work this, but I can't remember).

Sycrid, Aug 28, 2014 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I did some research and it seems like it is not possible to have two different copies of MS Outlook running on the same machine. My problem is that I am a solid user, but not a techie and my current version of Outlook on the Win7 machine is struggling along because one of the accounts is a gmail platform account that the company's IT department had to "customize" because of synching issues (it is a financial company that needs to keep a copy of every email sent or received and because of my ISP, I have to send emails through a different SMTP account....long story.) Anyway, I am very reluctant to touch the current Outlook client because of this mess.

I am going to start looking at other potential email clients that might support Outlook calendaring. Technology...

jrbiz, Aug 28, 2014 IP
  6. Sycrid

Sycrid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well if I come across any, I'll remember to give you a shout. One of the offices I'm working in, is using a web based solution by rackspace.com has a calendar and mail functions, so it may be worth a look. I think they run everything through exchange servers...so you may be able to tie something into their solution depending on your situation.

Sycrid, Aug 28, 2014 IP
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks. I found a potential prospect called Claws Mail with its vCalendar plug-in. However, the website is a little scary-looking, so I will have to check reviews, etc., before I take a chance on it.

Not sure if how far you go back, but I was surprised to see that the Pegasus email client is still around. I used it on DOS many moons ago.

jrbiz, Aug 28, 2014 IP
  8. Sycrid

Sycrid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nah sorry, I've never heard of it, so I don't think I go back far.

Sycrid, Aug 28, 2014 IP
  9. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, it had to be in the mid-1990's when I used it.

jrbiz, Aug 28, 2014 IP