1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Two "index" pages. Would this penalize?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by sanabara, Feb 8, 2005.

Hello everybody:
    I've just registered and this is my first post.
    First thing I must say, before you realize it by your own in a minute, is that I'm a novice on optimization, the same on web design, and I don't speak english well. So, excuse me if my question has been answered before or if you can't understand me well.
    My question is:
    Could I make two "index pages", each one targeting different keywords, but both linking to the same pages of the site.
    In my site, I'm thinking to make another page, with the main target keyword as the name of the page, and targeting different keywords than the actual index page. The links in that new page would point to the same pages the actual index page now points.
    Say it would be two "entry" points to the site.
    Is it bad?
    If both pages where almost identical, would it be duplicate content?

The site I'm speaking:
    http://www.telefonica.net/web2/sanabara/lyon

sanabara, Feb 8, 2005 IP
  2. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Peon

Best Answers:
    If they're *almost identical* then, yes. It's up to you to change the content of the pages to make sure this doesn't happen - if you're targeting different phrases then the content should be different anyway! Make sure both pages are linked up and I think it should be fine...

DangerMouse, Feb 8, 2005 IP
  3. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    It would be pointless to make two doorway pages that are almost identical. But it is a common practice to make separate doorway pages that target different keywords. Take my site www.hustlerpanties.com as an example...I am in the process of optimizing www.hustlerpanties.com/halloween.php as a landing page for a search for "sexy costumes". Hopefully that is what you were talking about :D!

p.s. Welcome to the forums!

ViciousSummer, Feb 8, 2005 IP
  4. TechEvangelist

TechEvangelist Guest

Best Answers:
    Make sure that your pages not only link to other areas of the site, but have links to them from other areas of the site. If you don't have links to and from a page, it can be viewed as a doorway page and a penalty could result. That's one of the problems I frequently see with splash pages.

TechEvangelist, Feb 8, 2005 IP
  5. Haichi

Haichi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have a similar issue

I think the problem I had with my site is that dreamweaver saved my pages as
    .htm

so I had index.htm for a long time before adding .html to my site
    so most of my pages have two versions and I need to do more to make them different content wise

I did not want to delete them because so many linked to the .htm content

Haichi, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  6. honey

honey Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    yes, that in SE's term is BAD. A well known directory recently did a 302 rewrite from domain.com to www .domain. com, and they got penalized. All these things matter.

Make sure u only either link to domain.com from everywhere or www .domain. com or www . domain.com/index.php, although they might all work the same. Spiders might index all 3 differently, which is NOT soooo good.

honey, Feb 13, 2005 IP