1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Two domains pointing to same website on same IP

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by ssteve, Jan 11, 2005.

For business reasons, I need to have two domains point to the same website, and both domains point to the same IP. No 301/302 redirects, etc.

Is this ok with google. I think the two sites will get their PR based on their own incoming links. The question then relates to "duplicate content penalty".

Here is the reason if you care to know: I have a partner who want to "private label" my website, and show it as part of their own website. I cannot do redirect, since they want to keep the PR (obviously).

ssteve, Jan 11, 2005 IP
  2. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    Don't do that. You will get hit with a dup penalty at some point. I have, don't do it.

chachi, Jan 11, 2005 IP
  3. ssteve

ssteve Peon

Best Answers:
    Where your domains pointing to the same IP?
    What if the two domains are hosting on different IPs (not same class-c)?

I have a solid business reason, and so far everyone has told me NO!

ssteve, Jan 11, 2005 IP
  4. TechEvangelist

TechEvangelist Guest

Best Answers:
    Do you actually need to use both domains? If you don't, use a 301 redirect to resolve the secondary domain into the primary. I have seen several sites that have experienced reduced rankings due to the practice of directing multiple domains to one site. If you do not use the 301 redirect, you will likely have a problem with at least one domain.

You really will only run into a problem if you actively use multiple domains and the same Web site gets indexed under multiple domains. That's a mirror site penalty.

TechEvangelist, Jan 11, 2005 IP
  5. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Put the two doms on different IP's or don't do it.

If you do do it on differing IP's - change the URL's (ie remap with rewrite), and alter your doc object models (ie tweak your templates so they look and *lay* a little different) - also titles.

Form there you should be right. There's always a certain amount of duplication out there - just tweak the key factors.

Cheers,

JL

john_loch, Jan 11, 2005 IP
  6. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    I did exactly what you want to do. Follow John's post to the "T". If you don't, you will be penalized at some point.

chachi, Jan 11, 2005 IP
  7. penelope.garcia

penelope.garcia Peon

Best Answers:
    I think u should not go for 2 ip's for 2 sites...since that is not preferred by google ,...and google may penalize you for that ... and none of your site will get much benefit out of it...

penelope.garcia, Dec 30, 2009 IP
  8. tamer1009

tamer1009 Peon

Best Answers:
    i wouldnt do that :/

tamer1009, Jan 7, 2010 IP