1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Turkey orders YouTube blocked

Discussion in 'Google' started by knightkrm, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeoSeo

LeoSeo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    We have it too :) We just don't let hostile activities operate on our territory :)

LeoSeo, Jan 21, 2008 IP
  2. SeoGrr

SeoGrr Active Member

Best Answers:
    As far as I can remember Wordpress.com was also blocked there

SeoGrr, Jan 21, 2008 IP
  3. Dr.Fix

Dr.Fix Peon

Best Answers:
    Guys it is not even a problem since the block is dns only.By the way Turkiye (not turkey) is a democratic country and that decision was made by a court(not by president or prime minister) and the problem is about to be resolved...

Dr.Fix, Jan 21, 2008 IP
  4. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    That will block 95% of people. Most "normal" people don't know what DNS is, or how to edit their hosts file.

It doesn't really matter what the process is, a bad act is still a bad act.

Turkish residents are still being denied the right to review public data and make decisions for themselves. That's censorship and it's wrong.

Will.Spencer, Jan 21, 2008 IP
  5. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Turkey has the right to block YouTube. But it's not helping to make its case for EU membership.

bogart, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  6. cargoria

cargoria Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I am living in Turkiye, Istanbul and I live my life as free as an American or a European. It is not a good act that Youtube.com banned but I am very sure that this will not last long. People are very sensetive about Ataturk because he is the founder of modern Turkiye.

People think that Turkey is some place that only Muslims live and we have Camels :), Mosques, uneducated people, military based goverment etc These are all for our bad reputation. But please see some websites to know Istanbul especially or Antalya (South cost Meditarenian) or so many cities and see the modern face of Turkiye. Banning websites does not help us to have a good reputation but we are not a country like Iran, Iraq, Afganistan or Suudi Arabia etc. People are FREE very very FREE to do anything in their social lifes. People are free to wear anything and talk freely.

But it is very interesting that you say it is FREEDOM OF SPEEECH. If freedom of Speech is used to insult people or countries then this is not a way that I will respect. Ofcourse because of 1 or 2 videos to ban millons of videos is not right but there is now way to support any people who use his/her rights to insult.

And for your info our contry Republic of Turike is only 90 years old. And internet is a baby right now and goverment newly learns what internet is so those will change in time so dont be very tough with your comments. I live in this country for 29 years and I happy to see the progress.

This is a process...

thanks for reading

cargoria, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  7. aras

aras Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, people love to talk about things that they dont know in depth or have no idea about. The video that is been subject to court was not a political speech. It was an insulting approach to the national hero of a nation (who is already dead now). Its not like saying President Bush is miserable. Its like saying [insert your prophet/hero name here] was a monkey. Well ok, freedom of speech, please excuse me guys, may i say that? How many of you would watch this in a non-aggressive way if i insert "Christ" there? Ones freedom of speech stops when it becomes to harm anothers rights.

Additionally, you may not be aware but Turkey holds one of the biggest client base of Youtube. The courts press this as an advantage, by blocking - as this is an economical sanction. Youtube has been warned various times about this content, and they refused/delayed to take action. Courts block the web site, and guess what videos get removed immediatly. You call this compliance? Need to study economics a bit.

And the case for EU, can just come and kiss my, if they dont like us defending what is very valuable for us. Previous year, one politician from Turkey, has been put in court in Europe because he denied/said, there is no armenian genocide. Well thats the freedom of speech Europe is after. They love freedom as long as whats been told is in the favor of their wishes. You remember the Ford slogan, you can have your car in any color you want, as long as it is black.

Just try to approach matters in an objective way. If you love to make comments, you need to learn insiders of whats been going on in the world, not just the west of 35th longitude.

aras, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  8. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If someone substituted Mohammed for Christ in your statement, would you be upset?

bogart, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  9. aras

aras Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey bogart, i already updated my post and did not use that in a sentence, cause inserting Christ makes me upset as the same degree as Mohammed, and Moses and any others. I believe in all of them. None of them is more valuable than others for me.

I would say a video needs to get removed instantly on such case, or at least after a court from some country files in an abuse report. I think the video would not be online so long if the situation was that. But when it comes to some others beliefs you dont have any idea about or can't care less about, you just let it stay online. And courts form Turkey use the client base advantage. Is it good? Maybe no - but this is a two-sided act.

aras, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  10. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There's a big difference between the United States and muslim world with regards to freedom of religion and freedom of speech. Making a statement about Mohammed or posting a YouTube video with some cartoons in the Middle East can get you killed.

bogart, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  11. aras

aras Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well the video was not related to religion, i just used the example to touch your heart and see if you can understand the other people's worries and sacred values. Its a human thing-you feel bad and upset when someone garbage things you love. And eventually if this is someone who is protected by laws, someone takes action to prevent it from happening.

We do not kill anyone in Turkey, i dont know how Iran, Iraq or Saudi Arabia proceeds. I say no to all humiliation against people's values and beliefs. If someone puts up a video like i said, it will be removed next day. Thats the discrimination thats leading to the blocking. Well anyway, Youtube loves this game, they dont remove till its blocked and than remove immediatly. Lovely.

aras, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  12. LaTenT

LaTenT Peon

Best Answers:
    We're a democratic country. But we sensitive some subjects. The action not only goverment resolution, all Turkish peoples accept the action. Because Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, not only Turkey's founder. He is best revulotionest, best modernist, best soldier, best humanist, best anti-emperialist (we're kicked 8 big emperialist country from Turkey with Ataturk ~90 years ago) of the world (please search to Google)...

We can not accept insult him. All Turkish peoples can fire all computers, phiberoptic cables for Ataturk :) we dead for Ataturk. We love Ataturk.

Regards.

LaTenT, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  13. The Method

The Method Peon

Best Answers:
    Youtube is a massive source of really good traffic for my site! I love youtube:)

Can someone tell me what PR6 is? I have seen this before and dont understand it.

The Method, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  14. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @Method

Source: http://www.google.com/corporate/tech.html

snowbird, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  15. norfstar

norfstar Peon

Best Answers:
    I know you put some words in the middle there, but you basically said Iran et al were full of uneducated people. Is that not an insult?

norfstar, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  16. xAlexKimx

xAlexKimx Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No comment for this one, but crazy

xAlexKimx, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  17. tylerdjefferson

tylerdjefferson Peon

Best Answers:
    There are millions of video sites that insult major leaders. You cant block them all. Seems pointless to me...

tylerdjefferson, Jan 23, 2008 IP
    Will.Spencer likes this.
  18. loudbeats.com

loudbeats.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Google/YouTube should comply, and of course respect countries Law. Bottom line is if they do well and good, otherwise blocked!!

loudbeats.com, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  19. loudbeats.com

loudbeats.com Peon

Best Answers:
    PR6=PAGE RANK 6 (GOOGLE)

loudbeats.com, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  20. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    I'm not focused on the conflict between Google/YouTube and The Government. I'm focused on the conflict between The Government and The People.

Why is the government disrespecting the people?

Yes. What is the government of Turkey trying to hide from the people of Turkey?

Freedom of speech doesn't exist so that people can say "I like oranges." You wouldn't need freedom of speech for that.

Freedom of speech exists so that people can say unpopular things.

All Turkish people who either enjoy being the dogs of the government -- or are afraid to speak out.

Turks who have spoken out have been threatened and jailed.

Is he a God? If not, then get over it.

In the U.S., we manage to deal with people saying bad things about George W. Bush. George is a big man, he can deal with a few whiny detractors.

So any single annoying country on Earth can censor the entire Internet?

Think that through!

You have no right to force others to agree with you.

You have no right to prevent other people from speaking to other people.

You have no right to live your life in the absence of criticism.

None of your rights are being violated by the free speech of other people.

Many of the posts in this thread are very bad for Turkey's reputation.

The irresponsible acts of the Turkish government as very bad for Turkey's reputation.

As long as they are willing to be arrested like Orhan Pamuk...

This is exactly what freedom of speech is for. Freedom of speech exists to support the ability of people to say unpopular things about powerful people and groups.

You don't need freedom of speech to say "I like oranges."

Will.Spencer, Jan 23, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.