1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Trying to Learn How to Generate Blog Traffic

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Noitartst, Dec 13, 2013.

Hello, I've been trying to get traffic to my blog: http://noitartst.wordpress.com/

Thing is, I don't know how to promote it. Yes, I've read a slew of articles about blog promotion, but the trouble is, they're too general, and seem seem to imply I'm far more social-media-savvy than I actually am.

Thing is, I'm trying to develop a blog promotion routine just like I have for regularly lifting weights. I'm ready to regularly blog, but I know viewers don't happen overnight, and promotion is a must, which is dandy; staying focused minus the feedback that won't come immediately is the hard part, and as a result, I'm seeking moral support, as well as guidance.

For starters, let's just say my topics will involve pop culture, social commentary, and international events. Well, how do I promote it? Hopefully, you all here can be my support group, or something, in the process.

Maybe what I'm describing belongs someplace else. If so, could you please explain where?

Noitartst, Dec 13, 2013 IP
  2. Michael Mayer

Michael Mayer Member

Best Answers:
    Share Your blog on social media networks and If you have a list share the posts with your list as well. Create a fan page on facebook and share your posts on your fan page and share in facebook groups. You can also promote your blog on forums using the signature line. If you want some fast traffic do some paid advertising!

Michael Mayer, Dec 13, 2013 IP
    wwstewart likes this.
  3. Noitartst

Noitartst Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't understand social media, that's my problem. If you, or someone else, here, could walk me through the specific steps, pertaining to my specific situation, however, that would be more than useful.

Let's see, I have a Twitter account, but not a flip phone; to tweet online I must be on a laptop, or library terminal, essentially. How it, or Reddit (I've got an account there), will be useful, I still don't see, but I'm hoping to be enlightened.

You see, I don't know anyone over social media, don't know how long to wait before bites happen, or how much patience is required. Basically, I'm seeking an observer's opinion, in the process.

The only online strategy that so far makes any sense to me is to go to online forums of the relevant topics, and share links to them in my posts. As you can see, I've made some blog entries on feminism, so logically, feminist forums would be ideal candidates, yes?

Just llooking for second opinions, going forward. Oh, and I've $200 spending cash monthly. In terms of resources, that's my hard limit, so you know.

Noitartst, Dec 14, 2013 IP
  4. Sycrid

Sycrid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi mate,

The best solution I can think of for you would be to join a collection of forums which are similar to the topics you will be blogging about, but to do more than just join. Become an active member on the forums with your website in your signature. This will start to generate some traffic, but not much. The key behind it, is that by doing this you're having your website linked from others on the internet and it will assist with people finding it, through Google searches etc.

This brings me on to my second point. Make sure your website is included search engines. If you look around you should be able to find a few free website submissions to search engines websites, they will get you into more than Google.

Also if you're in the blogging world there are some very good blog inclusion websites, where once you have posted your blog article you can submit it to bigger websites which index blog articles for readers to view. I believe a good example of this would be http://technorati.com/ but do a little bit of research on this first, as I've not used it in about 5 years.

Regards,
    Sycrid.

Sycrid, Dec 15, 2013 IP
  5. bsmeets

bsmeets Peon

Best Answers:
    As mentioned above:
    1. Share posts on your facebook wall, and on your facebook page. Ask people to share
    2. Post the link in no more than 10 relevant facebook groups per day
    3. Post on Linkedin, Twitter (use tweetadder to follow all the followers of somebody who's big in your niche, they will start following back), and google+
    4. Post on 5-10 forums, put the link in your signature
    5. Start creating an email list immediately if you don't have one already and mail your new posts to subscribers every time
    6. Write a short e-book and promote it with paid facebook ads (use an opt-in form and autoresponder to send the ebook) for a few $ a day
    7. Make videos, post them on youtube with links to your site

Good luck!

bsmeets, Dec 15, 2013 IP
    Gary Chesnut likes this.
  6. Stuart Walker

Stuart Walker Member

Best Answers:
    First thing you have to do BEFORE promotion is write EPIC content.

Not OK content or content you threw together in 10 minutes for the sake of adding new content to your site or updating regularly (no point to do this when you have no traffic, just a waste).

Make it the best content ever written on the subject. Brian at Backlinko blog (not sure I can link) recently wrote about how to improve on already epic content and make it bigger and better. Or alternatively see Niel Patels 'Definitive' and 'Advanced' guides at QuickSprout for inspiration of what EPIC content looks like. or any of Matthew Woodwards posts or tutorials on his blog.

It's in-depth, it's valuable, it has lots of actionable information, you can tell they know their stuff, and people cannot help but link to it, share it, talk about it and praise it.

Once you have content that is this good you can start promoting.

The key is to get this epic content in front of as many of your target audience as possible. Find out what blogs, forums and sopcial media groups they hang out at and find ways to get them from those sites to yours.

That could be in the form of blog commenting on relevant posts with links to articles on youre site or sending guest posts to high traffic blogs.

Posting on forums that allow you to post your own content or links or more likely that have clickable links in signature. Post really good quality topics giving good advice and people will click through to your site.

Join Reddit groups in your niche and post your content to their. Can bring in tons of traffic.

Join / follow the big social media groups on FB, Twitter, Pinterest, Tumblr etc (or whatever suits your niche) and get known on their, interacts and network with people, share, like and link to their stuff and then once well known start dropping links to your own content too.

Tweet your content to influential people in the niche and as for their opinion. If you get a re-tweet then you will see tons of traffic.

Use Q&A sites to find people asking questions in your niche and then point them to posts on your site where you have answered the question.

Write 'ego-bait' posts like "top 10 most influential bloggers in the X niche" or "2013s best blog posts" where you mention the best bloggers / posts in the niche and then let them know. Likely they will link to you.

In one of my dating niche sites I had some girl on Fiverr write the names of the main bloggers in my niche on her body and do a sexy dance and take some pictures of it which I used in a post and let everyone featured know about it.

Syndicate your content to as many places as possible. Repurpose it. A blog post can become a PDF, a video, an audio file, a re-written guest post, a snippet for social media. Get it out there.

Go to places that already have traffic and get your content or offer on there.

Stuart Walker, Dec 16, 2013 IP
  7. billymaxwell00

billymaxwell00 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey there, I keep giving this advise to people asking similar questions, but make youtube videos! Its free, easy, and accessible to tons of people. So I would just make a keynote, or powerpoint presentation of your articles. So take What you hate about Feminist Fiction and basiclly read your article there into a microphone and record the audio. Make it 5-10 slides and share your opinions. Then just say "for more article and videos like this, check out my website at...." and put a link in the description of the video. Title the video something that people would be searching for, and then make 1 video for every post you've wrote!

billymaxwell00, Dec 16, 2013 IP
  8. Arif Islam

Arif Islam Active Member

Best Answers:
    First of all, try to answer questions in your contents. Try to understand from a visitor point of view. What a visitor would look when he/she visit your blog. This is must needed for making your content viral and encourage visitors to share your blog to their friends. Also, you should consider transferring your blog in a domain instead of keeping it in .wordpress. Understanding how social media works is easy. For you, as you are a beginner, try to build a network of same minded people who will be interested in your content, join facebook groups, linked in groups, make twitter lists around your target audience. Once you are there, try to get recognition to those audience by answering their queries, joining relevant conversations, provide nice referrals (Including your blog where applicable). Above strategy is true for forum as well. Join relevant forums and actively participate in conversations. Once your target audience will know you and your blog, they will start visiting. Good luck mate

Arif Islam, Dec 16, 2013 IP
  9. Noitartst

Best Answers:
    Ah, Technorati. Is it like YouTube, where you make tags for your videos, only instead, it's for your blog postings?

Oh, and my blog is right here:http://noitartst.wordpress.com/

My apologies for not mentioning it off the bat, but there you have it. So you know, I ran an ad on Craigslist here:https://post.craigslist.org/manage/4242794873 and didn't include the address there initially, either. One response was someone who ran an ebusiness, and told me I could make more money off my blog by having my own domain rather than running it off Wordpress's website, but he was an obviously biased adviser, and as a result, I would want a second opinion on such counsel. Seems to make sense, though.

Also, I went to Facebook, typed in "blogger" and found folks who "like" blogging, but don't see how that's useful by itself. They're all friends of friends, but I don't see links to blogs, or blogs they follow, handy. I suppose they're useful in making contact lists, though. As for Google+, I think I already have it, but don't know how to use it, really.

Most of the advice I've gotten so far seems purty general to my situation, which for now is focused on pop culture, social commentary, politics and international events; if that itself is too vague, well, let me know, let's call it a starting point. I could throw in that I have aspergers, but I don't think it does, or should, define me.

Look--how about I come up with individual postings, link to them here, and have you all give me advice to promote each and every blessed one individually, and start from there?

As for including the blog address in my signature, that could be truly useful. Using YouTube can be, also; I've got a channel, but am still faced with the same challenge of getting hits.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
    Noitartst, Dec 16, 2013 IP
  10. CandleKeep

CandleKeep Active Member

Best Answers:
    It takes work to promote your content. That's it. It takes WORK.

Get a Twitter Account, Google Plus Account, and Facebook Account. Start interacting with people on those social media platforms, and share your content there.

Social Media can be tricky, that's exactly why I advised to join those THREE only right now.

Join those three, start connecting with people, and start sharing your work.

Another great thing to do is post in blogs with your signature.

Do that, and couple it with GREAT content that people want to read? And eventually you'll get traffic.

Even if Google hates you. (Like they hate me, haha).

Good luck.

CandleKeep, Dec 16, 2013 IP
  11. Solar Oblivion

Solar Oblivion Member

Best Answers:
    + SEO
    + YouTube
    + Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, Pinterest, Digg, StumbleUpon, Google+
    + Blog Commenting
    + Forums

Those are all free ways to promote your blog.

Solar Oblivion, Dec 16, 2013 IP
  12. Noitartst

Best Answers:
    Work. Alright. How about for now i focus just on forums, Facebook, and Blog commenting?

Now, let's down to specifics. I've shown you my blog, haven't posted for a while, but it should offer some clues as to how to forward, like a couple of them, dealing with feminism. Alright. Feminist forums; maybe Buffy the Vampire Slayer, too.

Know how to do that kinda thing. The other two, no.

For Facebook, typed in "feminist," and got some results. I should look through those sites, and make intelligent comments, yes?
    Here's my Facebook Link:https://www.facebook.com/noitartst
    Hm...doesn't seem to show a link to my blog...I had best correct that, yes...? Link it prominently at the head of the blog, or Simply create a fan site of the blog on Facebook? Other suggestions?

Oh, and as for commenting on blogs, how do I go about that?

Believe it or not, I think I'm getting an idea of what I'm trying to do, albeit slowly.

Ideas for future blog posts: Heat chimneys, more on feminism,the US political divide, genetic research, the trick to fashion, finding a fashion replacement for ties, hypocrisy, storytelling.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
    Noitartst, Dec 17, 2013 IP
  13. Noitartst

Best Answers:
    Look, as I said, I'm really seeking specifics, but I am going to attempt to apply the advice given.

And, I'm truly trying to monetize my blog, I can figure out how; I'm just starting to figure it out. Please don't silent on me, at this critical juncture.

Noitartst, Dec 18, 2013 IP
  14. Stuart Walker

Stuart Walker Member

Best Answers:
    Myself and others have given you advice but I don't think anyone is going to spoon feed you and I doubt anyone will appreciate you getting narky with them.

Get networking and get promoting on RELEVANT social media, blogs, forums etc with people who would be interested in your content. Show people your work, praise their work, share their work, ask them if there's anyway you can help them, do something for them without asking for anything in return and when you get in good standing with them they'll eventually return the favor.

Stuart Walker, Dec 18, 2013 IP
  15. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    What the owl (@CandleKeep) said. I was going to say kinda the same thing, but will give the credit to the bird. :)

By the way, join tumblr.com instead. Your blog will look a million times better and you will get some instant free traffic too. What you have now looks good, but not brilliant.

qwikad.com, Dec 18, 2013 IP
  16. content4cool

content4cool Member

Best Answers:
    I totally agree.
    Its simple and it will produce result.
    Make one very short video because people have low attention span
    and one long/normal for people who are searching and are interested in the topic.

content4cool, Dec 19, 2013 IP
  17. Noitartst

Best Answers:
    Alright, but join Tumblr instead of Wordpress, though? Does anyone here agree that it's superior? It claims on its site that it helps one follow the blogs of others; that its charm? A blog search engine, and a tidy way to follow them, to boot? Well, I'm gonna hafta play with it, some, I guess.

Oh, and yesterday I joined on relevant goup on Facebook, as well as commented on a blog, so I am taking concrete actions, if ever so tentative.

Noitartst, Dec 19, 2013 IP
  18. tobalsan

tobalsan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Noitartst, all the advice here is really good advice, although there's one thing you must ALWAYS keep in mind.

It's something I learnt the hard way, but truly is vital : don't go out for the traffic. I mean, don't reach people out because, in your mind, you want traffic.
    Instead, reach out to people to spread a message (or your help). It may sound simple but deeply it changes your approach and how people react to it.

As soon as people realize you're joing forums, communities, facebook groups, etc. to "advertise" your website, you're out.
    On the other hand, if you truly come out to help or educate or bring whatever is useful to people, naturally, smoothly, then they'll even spread the word for you.

And finally, for big traffic: SEO. I realized way too late how important it is - it's +85% of all the traffic you'll ever get.
    The most important and effective step you want to take is to do everything you can to appear in Google first page (even top 5 results).
    Depending on the theme of your blog it may take months or years, but it's the most powerful source of traffic.

tobalsan, Dec 19, 2013 IP
  19. Noitartst

Best Answers:
    Well, Tobalsan, I'm trying to keep that in mind, and am trying to find some blogs I really want to follow; found one, so far, but it isn't on Tumblr, so it'll behard to keep track of it. Only found one group on Facebook, too. Maybe I'm being too picky, but I'm certainly trying to avoid being a simple huckster.

What does SEO stand for, by the way? (Must seem totally naive, don't I?)

Noitartst, Dec 19, 2013 IP
  20. Deceneu

Deceneu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    SEO = Search Engine Optimization

Deceneu, Dec 19, 2013 IP