1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Trying to build a WordPress alternative. Would love some feedback.

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by fredrikB, Jul 15, 2014.

Hi!

We're building a new CMS that's extremely fast to set up for the designer and so easy to use that it doesn't require any client training. The goal is to provide an alternative to WordPress for static sites where WP would be overkill.

We just published the beta and would love to hear your thoughts on if we're heading in the right direction. There's a live demo available, so no need to download or register.

Please try it out at tidycms.com

Thanks in advance!

fredrikB, Jul 15, 2014 IP
  2. Marie-Aude

Marie-Aude Member

Best Answers:
    Hi, I went through your demo, and your tool looks great. But I was surprised by the amount for premium. If I calculate correctly, it would cost me 108 USD a year for increase functionnalities for a single site ? The bill is rather high. Especially compared to WordPress free features. Even static sites need a few things like good SEO, opengraph data, maybe a not so simple contact form. Image crop and resize is a must for non tech savy users.
    So, on the end, compared to a multisite installation with customized / simplified admin for end user, that I have to set up once for 200 - 600 websites, with a few extensions that cost less that one yearly premium tidy cms, I have all I need, for a much lower cost.

It's quite difficult to compete a free solution like WordPress. Putting the prices so high, especially when you are starting might not be the best marketing.

Marie-Aude, Jul 15, 2014 IP
    Rado_ch likes this.
  3. fredrikB

fredrikB Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the feedback Marie-Aude!

We know we can't compete with WordPress if we charge the designer. That's why the idea is to offer everything the designer needs for free and then sell the premium version to the clients once they start updating the site. The premium features should all be features that the clients can do without, but that makes their lives easier and helps them get more out of their sites.

But! If like you say our premium features are needed by all sites from the beginning, then our model doesn't work and we have to rethink it.

fredrikB, Jul 15, 2014 IP
  4. gotkloud

gotkloud Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'd usher the same concerns that Marie-Aude has - to grow your base you need to give a little to get a lot. Consider offering it for free and reducing your overhead by creating some partnerships so you can earn commission. That way you can save on money and operate in a very lean fashion.

gotkloud, Jul 26, 2014 IP
  5. RAND0M1ZER

RAND0M1ZER Active Member

Best Answers:
    What do you guys mean by "no database"?

How is the data stored using this CMS?

RAND0M1ZER, Jul 30, 2014 IP
  6. fredrikB

fredrikB Peon

Best Answers:
    Everything is stored in static html files. Dynamic functions, like a list of news on the frontpage for example, are created by looping through the html files in the /news folder, extracting date, heading and link from each files and injecting them into the frontpage. Works like a charm. :)

fredrikB, Jul 30, 2014 IP
  7. 01123581321345589144

01123581321345589144 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Wow, when I saw the title of your forum post I thought I'd be recommending "check out competition, do you really want to compete with Wordpress, start a Kickstarter, find programmers and designers" but it looks like you already have done some of the major important steps and I'm impressed. I'm also impressed by your ability to see other sides of things when you said that "well hey, if the premium is needed for all sites, then we'll rework our model" (not exact quote). Because it means you're all about making an enjoyable user interface and user experience, not so much the money. You do the first one, the money will flow in. Good luck, looks great so far.

01123581321345589144, Jul 31, 2014 IP
  8. fredrikB

fredrikB Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks! Glad you liked it!
    Thought your username looked familiar...and then I got it! You're on a chimney a few blocks from here. :)
    http://www.vastavalo.fi/albums/userpics/10949/normal_IMG_2566sigyn.jpg

fredrikB, Jul 31, 2014 IP
  9. RAND0M1ZER

RAND0M1ZER Active Member

Best Answers:
    That is interesting, so I guess that answers my other questions about your support for template caching.

RAND0M1ZER, Aug 1, 2014 IP
  10. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    How does that impact on search?

sarahk, Aug 1, 2014 IP
  11. fredrikB

fredrikB Peon

Best Answers:
    Shouldn't impact at all.
    The Googlebot and other search engine robots run Javascript and index the end result, so the injected content can be searched normally.

fredrikB, Aug 1, 2014 IP
  12. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    So there is no internal search?

sarahk, Aug 1, 2014 IP
  13. fredrikB

fredrikB Peon

Best Answers:
    Not yet. At the moment we recommend third party solutions like Google Site Search or this: http://www.addsearch.com/

fredrikB, Aug 1, 2014 IP
  14. RAND0M1ZER

RAND0M1ZER Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wait... So even for something like an article, the page template is generated using Javascript? I would have thought that the static HTML files would be parsed/injected into the template server side.

I am not too concerned about this, especially for a blog/cms. Other than for forums, I can't imagine many users even use the search function.

RAND0M1ZER, Aug 1, 2014 IP
  15. fredrikB

fredrikB Peon

Best Answers:
    That's where we're heading, we just haven't implemented it yet. Started with a client side implementation (faster to make) and will make it server side in the near future.

fredrikB, Aug 1, 2014 IP