1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Trigger - updating column in same table before update

Discussion in 'MySQL' started by PoPSiCLe, Nov 7, 2013.

Hi. I have a table, simplified to three columns:
    user_id, role_id, old_role

Superusers can change a users role_id, but I'd like to populate the old_role column with the previous role_id IF old_role is either 0 or the number is larger than the current role_id - hence if the content is as follows:
    user_id: 11, role_id: 1, old_role: 0
    and someone changes the role_id to 2, it will transfer the 1 to the old_role column before updating role_id, so the result becomes
    user_id: 11, role_id: 2, old_role: 1

Then, if someone later decides to change the role_id again, say to 3 this time, it will NOT update the old_role column, since the number in old_role is less than the new role_id.

If the updating of the role_id is 1 again, I'd like to compare the two values, and reset old_role to 0 again, if possible.

This should all be done in a trigger, but I can't for the life of me get it right. I must admit I've mostly dabbled in simple triggers before, updating secondary tables and such, so I'm kind of a newbie on triggers.

I'm hoping someone can provide some example on how this can be done, or a working code, or point me to some tutorials which can teach me how to do this.

PoPSiCLe, Nov 7, 2013 IP
  2. lektrikpuke

lektrikpuke Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So, you want to allow the update of old role to 1 and no higher? Odd request, but I'm sure you have your reasons.
    pseudo code that might work (the idea will work in MSSQL)
    create trigger as t_oldRoleUpToOne on someTableName
    instead of insert
    create temp variables to hold values and
    select into variables from inserted (@old_role = select old_role from inserted)
    if @role_id (derived for inserted) = 0
    begin
    do stuff like update @old_role (@old_role = @old_role + 1)
    end
    else
    begin
    blah, blah, blah
    insert (user_id,role_id,old_role) values (@user_id,@role_id,@old_role)
    end
    end

lektrikpuke, Dec 8, 2013 IP
  3. lektrikpuke

lektrikpuke Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    instead of insert is before insert and before update in MySQL, I think

lektrikpuke, Dec 9, 2013 IP