1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Transition Away From iTrader...

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by digitalpoint, Sep 17, 2010.

1. sandao

sandao Active Member

Best Answers:
    +1 to NOT remove iTrader too. I think iTrader (feedback score) help to know more about person, if you leave old itrader visible it would help everyone in some cases.

sandao, Oct 17, 2012 IP
  2. WebBuddy

WebBuddy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, the only ones gaining from the removal of iTrader would be those guys who have been consistently scamming people.

WebBuddy, Oct 17, 2012 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    What exactly are they gaining?

digitalpoint, Oct 17, 2012 IP
  4. xInd

xInd Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    So is there any way to build a seller's record on the new system yet?

xInd, Oct 17, 2012 IP
  5. WebBuddy

WebBuddy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Many guys here have a heavy negative iTrader. I am not talking about one or two negative reviews out of say 50 but if you have 3 negative reviews out of a total of 10, it can be an indication that the guy has a tendency to scam people or not follow up on his promise (of work/payment). If I see someone who has high negative feedback, I check out his relevant threads too in order to ascertain credibility and the kind of disagreements/failed promises that have caused this. It's all subjective but once a member has been around for say at least 10-15 iTraders it makes for a great way of checking his credibility. Plus this system works for the buyer as well as the seller.

Removal of the iTrader can help the scammers wipe out their "sins" and will bring them on an equal level to the non-scammers. It's the equivalent of God forgiving all past sins, so when a murderer or rapist dies and reaches heaven at the same time as the honest, kind good-doer, both of them will be equals. :D

WebBuddy, Oct 17, 2012 IP
  6. burzoman

burzoman Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am against the removal of the iTrader too. Wow, it would just ruin this forum.

burzoman, Oct 19, 2012 IP
  7. abhiquick

abhiquick Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ohh, today I seen this thread. Its not good. The actual percentage of fake exchange of itraders is really less. But people with good reputation require to do it from begining.
    ..btw more important is that I have started gaining itraders recently...lol.

abhiquick, Oct 20, 2012 IP
  8. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    +1 to not removing itrader.

I've been using the instant pay feature for a few months now, after realizing itrader was being removed, and still am yet to have a buyer leave me feedback with it due to a few reasons. Normally I will give payment details via PM or there will be a process of negotiation and thus the feature in 99% of cases never gets used. Buyers simply aren't using the function by default which defeats the whole purpose of the system.

I honestly fail to see how removing itrader over this new system can be a good thing. It seems like a band aid solution because it was getting manipulated. If that's the case, you should have measures in place to stop that from happening, but you don't have to remove itrader.

dcristo, Oct 20, 2012 IP
  9. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Instant Pay isn't intended for "private deals", so if you are making special deals privately those transactions wouldn't be able to be used with Instant Pay. Instant Pay is more about transparency with everything... transactions we ACTUALLY know took place, the dollar amount of those transactions, were the transactions later refunded or disputed, etc.

But if you have a suggestion of how continue to use iTrader and prevent all fraud, by all means speak up now... now is the time to throw ideas around.

digitalpoint, Oct 20, 2012 IP
  10. dcristo

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    No system will prevent all fraud. It's the internet people are always looking to take advantage of the unassuming.

I just think this forum is better with itrader then it is without it. Most clued up members will dig deeper into the itrader history to figure out what the feedback is really telling.

The scams and fraud is bound to continue happening whether there is itrader or not, but it hardly seems fair that members who have built up their reputation over many years are basically starting from scratch and having to rebuild their rep.

Also I think multiple layers of security are better then one layer, so it makes sense to use itrader in addition to whatever else you want to implement.

If you can tell me some of the common problems associated with manipulating itrader I can think of stuff to help.

dcristo, Oct 20, 2012 IP
  11. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The main problem with iTrader is that we don't know if the transaction actually happened or not. We also don't know what the dollar amount of transactions are for the ones that did (I'd put more weight on a user doing 5 transactions for $1,000 each, vs. someone doing 20 for $0.99). We don't know what happens after the fact (was there a dispute or refund after the fact)?

12. dcristo

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Faked itraders are going to seem pretty obvious especially if there is a lot of them, no? The itraders will mostly come from new members who are from the same country. It shouldn't be very difficult to weed out these problematic members.

I agree there should be more weight on higher dollar transactions. Wasn't that the whole point of the cheap stuff forum? Stuff less then $5 gets posted there and you can't leave feedback for the transaction.

I know you want to automate things as much as possible but the reality is you can't. People will always find a way to manipulate a system for monetary gains.

At the end of the day, if a member gets scammed for not doing their due diligence it's through no fault but their own, and itrader shouldn't be removed as a result considering it provides another layer of security. You look at some of the members crying that they got scammed... look at the itrader of the scammers, and it tells the whole story. Yet they still choose to deal with these members. The problem is the IQ of these people, not the itrader system!

dcristo, Oct 20, 2012 IP
  13. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Of course nothing will be perfect... But I'm more interested in the one that is harder to manipulate.

14. dcristo

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    It may be harder to manipulate but it's not perfect either for reasons I already stated (no one really uses it at least from my experience) and the non paying transactions can actually be very misinformed when private deals were made and payment was still made. At least with itrader you can dig deeper into the feedback to try and figure out what the story is, you can't do that with the new system. And why shouldn't private deals be considered as a transaction (which the new system doesn't take into account). They make up for a huge percentage of the deals done on the forum I would imagine.

dcristo, Oct 20, 2012 IP
  15. burzoman

burzoman Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think removing the whole iTrader system is going to work. But restricting the iTrader or membership process may reduce the fraud.

burzoman, Oct 20, 2012 IP
  16. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    No one ever claimed the Instant Pay system is perfect (nothing is perfect). All I'm saying is if I have to pick a random iTrader transaction and a random Instant Pay transaction, the Instant Pay one is going to have a much higher chance of being legit.

If you look back in this thread, you can see screenshots from the new system where people have different Buyer and Seller ratings as well as the ability to give feedback for individual transactions. The Instant Pay system you see live now is really just a shell of the new system and was really intended to just give people the opportunity to earn some ratings.

Obviously not 100% of users are going to love every change, but to say Instant Pay isn't used is silly... there are a TON of users who have more Instant Pay than iTrader at this point, and some with over 50 Instant Pay transactions (just as buyers). The highest that I've happen to run across is this guy with 66 buyer transactions.

Just because it doesn't (currently) fit into your business model of doing private deals/negotiations doesn't mean that it's not used for "normal" transactions and that in the future it may work for variable rate stuff as well.

The people who are *really* going to hate it are the countries where they can't even GET a PayPal account... Pakistan, Egypt, Bangladesh, Nigeria, Iran, etc. Which also tend to be the countries with the highest number of scammers (and probably why PayPal doesn't let people in those countries use it). So people in those countries are just going to be out of luck since they will never be able to get buyer OR seller ratings under Instant Pay.

17. dcristo

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I know this member fairly well and he's predominantly a buyer on this forum hence why he's got so many confirmed paid transactions.

How does the new system help sellers? You're making it sound like all itraders are faked and cannot be trusted when faked itraders are the exception not the rule.

I've been scammed once the entire time I've been doing business on DP whilst using the itrader system and due diligence, seems like a legit system to me.

dcristo, Oct 20, 2012 IP
  18. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Individual sellers tend to have more total transactions as sellers because sellers tend to sell thing to many people, while buyers tend to buy a couple things here and there.

Either way, it's tracking seller ratings internally, just not currently displaying them. There are many users with more than 100 Instant Pay transactions (as sellers), with the most being this guy with 255.

I feel like you should go back and read this whole thread. iTrader served its purpose, but we have just outgrown it is really what it comes down to.

The reality is that at this point, there are more Instant Pay transactions happening than iTrader ratings each day... and that's only going to increase quite a bit once the system is "fully" enabled.

19. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sure the instant pay is a lot more advanced and reliable than itraders, no ones disputing that. All we are requesting is that when the new system rolls out just archive the itraders on the profiles and disable new additions. Even include a disclaimer like "itrader is no longer supported and authenticity is not guaranteed by admins". Just so all scammers don't get to start with a clean slate and reputed users lose half a decade's hard earned rep.

Thats all we are asking and I don't know one person who would call it unreasonable, except ofcourse people with multiple (-) itraders.

Helvetii, Oct 21, 2012 IP
  20. `Pi

`Pi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In my opinion Itrade system is not working nice on DP .Anybody can give to anyone itrade without any control. For example If I give someone negative trade he is giving back it to me as negative.Nobody is controling why ?In another example the person is threating me about givin negative feedbakcs and trades with his multiplie account .There is not strong rules for trades.So it has been down for DP .

In fact itrade system is really good one for safe trading on forum.It has been using on a local webmasterforum and It really works.
    I think if it will not disable on DP it must have rules and control .If it is not be under control ,it will be better removing it from DP.

`Pi, Oct 22, 2012 IP