1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Transfer SQL database

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by Weirfire, Jul 14, 2005.

I'm trying to transfer a 20MB MySQL database to another host. I keep getting a timeout error probably because it's so big. I'm using an external SQL file to try and import the data. Is there an easy way I can import/export this data so I can make the transfer happen without breaking the file up into 124,231 pieces?

Weirfire, Jul 14, 2005 IP
  2. cmeinck

cmeinck Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you have cPanel - most hosts will transfer all of your stuff. In my case, all my databases, email accounts etc moved over without a hitch.

cmeinck, Jul 14, 2005 IP
  3. dct

dct Finder of cool gadgets

Best Answers:
    In cPanel goto Backup and then Download a MySQL Database Backup on your new host go to Backup again but on the next screen do Restore a MySQL Database

dct, Jul 14, 2005 IP
  4. Weirfire

Weirfire Language Translation Company

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys. I'll give dcts tip a go first and if that doesnt work I'll give cmeincks tip a go. It's just I'd have to wait on the host reply first whereas if I can do it myself I can do it now!

5. l234244

l234244 Peon

Best Answers:
    Is it gzipped?

l234244, Jul 14, 2005 IP
  6. Weirfire

Best Answers:
    Yep, when you back it up it goes gzipped.

This is really packing some of my bandwidth. It's been a good half hour it's been chugging the data for.

As you can probably tell my computer grammar is a little rough round the edges lol.

7. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Also try the cpanel remote backup. I use this mostly when I purchase a site. You get everything you need and it will transfer for you and send you an email when it's done.

I have done this with a 1gb sites no problem.

RectangleMan, Jul 16, 2005 IP
  8. Discreet

Discreet Guest

Best Answers:
    Or you can dump the database. If you have access to PMA or some other GUI for your SQL tables, you can tell it to export the data, which it will let you download through the interface instantly as a .sql file. You take that sql file, and upload it through the same interface on another server.

If you are lagging out on 20mb files then something is wrong with what you are doing. 20mb is nothing for a server to process, it should only take it about 10 seconds.

Do what I described above and it'll take you about 5 seconds to export it. I do it daily with a database that currently has about 20 gigs of data and it takes less than a minute to do a complete dump.

Discreet, Jul 17, 2005 IP
  9. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeh I'm with descreet.

In the past I've exported the tables into .sql files and then simply imported them into the new database.

DarrenC, Jul 17, 2005 IP
  10. Weirfire

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all your help people :)

Some idiot gave me a red for this thread saying that I'm working too cheap and then asking for free help. First of all, I would say my prices are competitive and secondly if a forum isn't for contributing and asking for help then what is it for?

It was a -2 red rep which is the reason I'm commenting on the red. The person who red repped me never left their name but I'd be interested to discuss this issue with you to find out exactly what your problem is. If it had been -1 red rep then I wouldn't have bothered so much but it's a more regular member and I would like to think that their views of me are not just misunderstood. If you're going to be so forthright to criticise me then I would expect the common decency of the person to leave their name so I can at least give a reply to this sly criticism.

Weirfire, Jul 17, 2005 IP
    dct likes this.
  11. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    I'll probably get red for stating this.. lol

What gives someone the right to comment on another businesses rates.. concentrate on your business instead of wasting time on giving someone bad rep just because they asked a question.

If we were all so fookin perfect none of us would want to visit a forum.

DarrenC, Jul 17, 2005 IP
    dct and Weirfire like this.
  12. Weirfire

Best Answers:
    Well you should get more green than red because what you say is true. If someone works for $20/hour and another $10/hour then why does someone think they have the right to condemn the $10/hour person. Who's to even say that the $10/hour person doesn't make more money from being efficient.

Thanks for sticking up for me Darren. I appreciate it! :)

Weirfire, Jul 17, 2005 IP
  13. Josh

Josh Peon

Best Answers:
    Personally, I think its stupid to red someone for asking a perfectly valid question in the right forum. I mean, if Weir asked "where can I download full games for free?" or some other stupid question.. yes, a red would be in order. But for a perfectly fine question, thats no reason to red. :p

Josh

Josh, Jul 17, 2005 IP
  14. Weirfire

Best Answers:
    Thanks Josh. Maybe the person who left the comment will reveal themselves. :)

Weirfire, Jul 18, 2005 IP
  15. stuw

stuw Peon

Best Answers:
    and if anyone else is looking for a solution to the question in question...
    this guy has a couple of free php scripts that I use on sites that need reqular back ups uploads and don't have cpanel.

stuw, Jul 18, 2005 IP
  16. dct

dct Finder of cool gadgets

Best Answers:
    er which guy?

dct, Jul 18, 2005 IP
  17. stuw

stuw Peon

Best Answers:
    stuw, Jul 18, 2005 IP
  18. sadcox66

sadcox66 Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    If the other tools do not work. You can try mysqlfront.de , it splits up the SQL statements as it inserts. But you must go into cPanel (or other Server Admin Panel) and
    allow the database to accept connections from places other than localhost. After you finish uploading change the connection back.

* I still do not understand why someone would give you a red !?!

sadcox66, Jul 18, 2005 IP
  19. nickyp00

nickyp00 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi everyone,
    I am new on this forum and saw you guys look like experts with php transfers and thought I would drop you all a line as I am currently doing a similar thing. I have just transfered all my files to dreamhost and am now looking at getting my chat forum going again. I have been told it is really simple to do but no matter how hard I try I cant seem to get it running.

I am running phpbb2 forum software. before I left I created a database backup on my hard drive and it is still sitting there. I am not sure what I need to do to get it working again so all help would be apreciated and also as my hosting comapny has washed their hands with helping me beyond giving me a wilkpedia link which wasn't much help. You can probably tell but I am an amateur when it comes to these things.

I need step by step instructions if I am to succeed.

nickyp00, Feb 9, 2008 IP
  20. Weirfire

Best Answers:
    Hey Nicky,

I presume you downloaded a GZipped copy of your database.

If you go into your cpanel and follow the procedures below and let me know how you get on;

- Click Backups
    - Browse for your database backup where it says "Restore a MySQL Database"
    - Upload the file and it should extract all the files to the server.

The only thing you will need to do then is reconfigure the database connections so that they use the correct DB Name, DB User, DB Password and DB Host (localhost in most cases).

Hope this helps.

Weirfire, Feb 12, 2008 IP