1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

transfer phpbb to new servers

Discussion in 'phpBB' started by d3scr1pt0r, Mar 22, 2006.

Hi, I am not asking anything , i am will just say how i did it yesterday:)

The forum I had to transfer contains lots of greek characters ( http://ratherserendipitous.com ) so, when I was taking a dump of the database with phpmyadmin and trying to restore it on the new server, failed. The same might happen I guess with norway or other alphabets.

so, anyway, the best way to do it if you have cpanel, is :
    Download a full copy of the phpbb folder - for example /phpbb2 using ftp from server1

Upload this copy on server2

Go to backup on your cpael, and make a backup of the mysql databse that contains the forum. A .gz file will be produced and downloaded.

Ask from your admin or if you have access do it on your own, go to server2, and go to backup, and restore the gz file.
    this will create a database.

go to mysql on server2 and set a user for accessing the newly created database.

Go to the config.php file on phpbb2, and enter the new user and password.

if you changed domain names or locations, go to phpmyadmin, and edit the config fields to reflect the new cookie domain and new domain name.

that's it.
    if you have foreign characters, remember the phpmyadmin dump will not work.

d3scr1pt0r, Mar 22, 2006 IP