1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Traffic = ranking is it true?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by MediaLink, Jul 21, 2014.

Hi

I heard that having a lot of visitors to your website may increase your organic ranking on google or other search engines. Do you think it's true? I'm thinking to start a pay per click campaign to get more visitors. Should I also expect an increase in organic ranking on search results? Do you think that by having +100 visitors per day may increase the Alexa ranking and the ranking on Google may improve?

I think that if the visitors will have the google toolbar installed, Google may take the website as a popular one?

Solved! View solution.
    MediaLink, Jul 21, 2014 IP
    Getting lots of traffic will definitely get Google's attention, they probably take into account where the traffic is coming from. One thing that is pretty important for rankings is the bounce rate, if you are getting a lot of traffic but your visitors are leaving after only 5 seconds, Google will probably see that as a bad thing. So make sure your traffic is engaged, maybe with a video or an informative article that keeps them reading. I like to embed Youtube videos on most of my sites because that decreases bounce rate.

If you are getting many visitors plus adding relevant, powerful backlinks you will definitely see your rankings increase. How much depends on the competition in your niche.

And yes, with LOTS of visitors your Alexa ranking will improve. I'm not sure of the other variables they take into account though.

alwaysStriving, Jul 21, 2014 IP
  3. Kristina Roy

Kristina Roy Active Member

Best Answers:
    MediaLink, your all though are wrong.
    1. Having a lot of visitors will not help to increase organic ranking. It helps to increase Alexa ranking.
    2. PPC campaign will not help to increase organic ranking.

Kristina Roy, Jul 22, 2014 IP
  4. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It sometimes feels like the blind is leading the blind in these forums. Come on guys, if you don't know the answer to a question, simply don't participate in the conversation. Yeah, I know that you have to get your post count up, but misleading the people that seek genuine response means that you are trashing the business of someone you don't even know...

@MediaLink you got it a little mixed up, buddy - there is no such thing like a Google Toolbar that helps with your ranks. You are pretty close tho - there is an Alexa Toolbar and it is the single most important way to increase your Alexa rank (why would someone need Alexa rank nowadays is beyond me, but I'm not judging...). So no, lots of visitors won't help you with the Alexa rank, a lot of visitors WITH the Alexa toolbar will. Or not so many users, but clicking on your pages frequently will up your ranks significantly, especially if you're just starting out ;)

Rado_ch, Jul 22, 2014 IP
  5. MediaLink

MediaLink Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the reply. You are right. I'm asking because for example I'm from Romania. In google.ro I'm ranking on first page of google for very high competitive keywords. Also I notice that I'm ranking very well on Google.ie (Ireland) I do not know why. But not on Google USA.

Probably I'm ranking on Google Romania because I'm from Romania and I'm visiting my website every day? And no..It's not from my computer (I cleared the cache and also tried from different computers)...and It's not from back links coming from Romanian domain names. The site is in english and has no backlinks from romainain domain name.

It's very strange. Just because I'm visiting the website? Is it that easy? I'm starting to think to pay 1-2 persons from USA to visit my website evry day :)) just joking.
    But this is why I started to think in this visitors=ranking formula.

MediaLink, Jul 22, 2014 IP
  6. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You are correct to an extent. Indeed there is a difference in how you rank on different, local versions of Google, and on the .com one. The competition for the keyword itself might not be that fierce in Romania and you will generally rank much easier there as you reside and open your website every day. Google.com is a whole different story and good rankings there take time and constant work.

To answer your other question - if you pay 2 people to click all day on your website from the US....you would be better spending your money in the local bar. 2 people is practically nothing as globally you are competing with thousands and millions of websites and their efforts would not bring any visible difference :)

Rado_ch, Jul 22, 2014 IP
  7. m.sivarajan

m.sivarajan Banned

Best Answers:
    Hi

I have two site, one having in more than 3000 visitors per day but no use. and the other site 60-70 visit per day, i am earning more in this website. Number of visitors is important but the quality of the site is also play a vital role.

m.sivarajan, Jul 22, 2014 IP
  8. John Lucas

John Lucas Member

Best Answers:
    I don't believe so. Visitors can be in the form of many things, free, paid or organic. You authority, backlinks etc will still be the one to determine your ranking on Google. Lots of traffic doesn't always mean good rankings, good rankings doesn't always necessarily mean tons of traffic but it will be better though depending on that market.

John Lucas, Jul 22, 2014 IP
  9. Ferzy

Ferzy Member

Best Answers:
    This is more a correlation effect that causation. Meaning that sites that have a lot of traffic happen to enjoy good ranking in google, but their traffic does not directly improve their ranking. There are plenty of sites that have traffic from social networks such as facebook and twitter but have virtually no organic traffic.

Google also said on the record that ppc spending does not influence organic results, so that's not going to help you much.

Ferzy, Jul 29, 2014 IP
    Nigel Lew and dcristo like this.
  10. JackFraser

JackFraser Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Page Rank and Traffic both are dissimilar mechanism because page rank depends on traffic and we can improve traffic from off-site Seo
    like social bookmarking on high pr sites, unique articles submissions on high pr sites, blog posting, forum submission these are link building process which create back links on website i.e increase traffic on website when increase traffic of website also increase page rank of website.

JackFraser, Jul 29, 2014 IP