1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Tracking links(custom module)

Discussion in 'Drupal' started by kawal24, May 18, 2012.

Hi,
    I am looking to create a custom module for tracking clicks which have a onclick function in their html.
    So far i have come to following point
    A javascript function with code:

var clicks = 0;
    function incrementClicks() {
        clicks+= 1;
    }
    Code (markup):
    For tracking only certains links i will create a view that displays those links on node page and will rewrite the link html using "views inbuilt rewrite option" as:

<a href="[field_url-url]" onclick="incrementClicks()" target="_blank"  >Visit website</a>
    Code (markup):
    where [field_url-url] is the cck link field which needs to be tracked.

Then i will pass/get "clicks" variable in a new variable in my custom module's .module file using drupal api.
    I guess this should work.
    But what i am concerned about is:
    I want to assign these clicks to authors of the node through which the clicks have been made.

For e.g
    A link is clicked on user number 5's node ,the incrementClicks() function will be called.I want to keep a record of clicks that were made on user number 5's all nodes and so for every other user on the website in the same way.

I am new to creating drupal modules and even javascript.

So it would be great if someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

kawal24, May 18, 2012 IP