1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

tracking / cookies question

Discussion in 'Affiliate Programs' started by disgust, Jun 15, 2004.

is there any way to tell if an affiliate tracks purchases even after they close the window and come back later? if they do do this, do they usually tell you outright?

they don't mention it in one of the programs I'm interested in, so I'm just curious...

I suppose I could see if they left a cookie, but that wouldn't prove you get credited for those sales- they may use them internally but not credit you, right?

disgust, Jun 15, 2004 IP
  2. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you are running Internet Explorer you can view the cookies, as files, by doing the following.

1. In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
    2. On the General tab, click Settings, and then click View files.
    3. Find the cookie in mention. The cookies should be listed as... Cookie:user@sitename.com/

Each cookie should just be a text file. One of the lines should indicate when it expired.

Help Desk, Jun 15, 2004 IP
  3. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    this doesn't guarantee that you'd be credited for it, though, you see what I mean?

they might use it internally but not credit the site... ie, they'd realize that the sale was from the affiliate program, but they wouldn't be required to credit the site because it wasn't coming directly from there.

disgust, Jun 15, 2004 IP
  4. 5starAffiliates

5starAffiliates Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi disgust,

Most good companies that offer cookies longer than 1 visit are proud of it and list the cookie length. In all of our programs we offer 120 day - 10 year cookies and you can be sure cookie lenght is listed on all of our review pages. If they don't list it you may need to email to find out. If they are on a network, like CJ it will usually tell you on the network info page or possibly if you sign up you will get a welcome email that wil tell you.

In addition to cookie length - check how many occurances they offer. Some people have 90 day cookies but only one purchase will pay commissions, repeat purchases won't. Ideally you want unlimited occurances.

5starAffiliates, Jun 20, 2004 IP