1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Tracking CJ Clicks in Analytics

Discussion in 'Commission Junction' started by OutsourcedMyLife, Jun 3, 2010.

Hey Everybody,

As I stated in this thread I'm finally making money with CJ! Yay! :D :cool:

I'd like to take this to the next level and use Google Analytics to determine which referring sites are providing the best eCPM based on clicks to CJ. I definitely don't expect to be able to track conversions using CJ and GA, but I'd bet there has got to be a way to set clicks to my CJ ads as a goal in GA and track them that way, no?

Thanks in advance for any pointers / help!

OutsourcedMyLife, Jun 3, 2010 IP
  2. curtezriggs

curtezriggs Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Interesting, I would also be interested in learning how to do this. My problem with CJ is that their is no instant way to track clicks.. I haven't had any problems from them so far, and I just croseed the 1K per month threshold, its just a little scary to think that I could be leaving money on the table

curtezriggs, Jun 4, 2010 IP
  3. OutsourcedMyLife

OutsourcedMyLife Peon

Best Answers:
    The big part for me is attribution. I want to know where to focus my efforts to drive the most qualified traffic that has the highest propensity to convert into CJ sales.

GA has "event tracking" and "goals"... I just don't know how to implement them to track CJ only clicks. I'd think there has to be a snippet of code to add to each CJ URL to track those clicks?

OutsourcedMyLife, Jun 4, 2010 IP
  4. curtezriggs

curtezriggs Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ok I understand what your asking for... let me do a little research and if Im able to find anything I will reply back here

curtezriggs, Jun 4, 2010 IP
  5. Samskriti

Samskriti Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, there is a snippet of code "?sid=xxxxxx" that can added to the end of the CJ URL. If you are promoting the CJ links through PPC we can add the snippet code with unique identifier for each keyword destination url or adcopy url and can track the data from which keyword the clicks & conversions are generated.

Use these techniques and make more money.

Samskriti, Jun 5, 2010 IP
  6. VedoMedia

VedoMedia Peon

Best Answers:
    Why not use prosper?!?

VedoMedia, Jun 5, 2010 IP
  7. OutsourcedMyLife

OutsourcedMyLife Peon

Best Answers:
    What do you mean "use prosper"?

OutsourcedMyLife, Jun 5, 2010 IP
  8. VedoMedia

VedoMedia Peon

Best Answers:
    Propser202? Its the best tracking and analytics program to use and Id rather use them then google...

THanks!

VedoMedia, Jun 5, 2010 IP
  9. mktbiz

mktbiz Peon

Best Answers:
    If you google free analytics you should find several free analytics packages that you can use to track your visitors. Try tracking your sales pages and thank you page that they go to after the sale to get some idea on conversions. I don't know if any of the free packages will calculate the conversions for you or not but this should give you some idea of how the sales are going.

mktbiz, Jun 6, 2010 IP
  10. OutsourcedMyLife

OutsourcedMyLife Peon

Best Answers:
    There must be some confusion regarding what I'm trying to do.

I'm using Google Analytics to track all my traffic. It is the most robust and widely used free (and even in most paid) website analytics applications.

I want to track outgoing Commission Junction clicks from my site via Google Analytics so I can then attribute those clicks to specific traffic sources.

OutsourcedMyLife, Jun 6, 2010 IP
  11. OutsourcedMyLife

OutsourcedMyLife Peon

Best Answers:
    OutsourcedMyLife, Jun 7, 2010 IP
  12. myclip

myclip Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks, waiting for your feedback as I am thinking about this too

myclip, Jun 9, 2010 IP
  13. grungee

grungee Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Does anyone know if adding the event tracking will void cj's rules in anyway?

grungee, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  14. OutsourcedMyLife

OutsourcedMyLife Peon

Best Answers:
    I got distracted and haven't really checked my changes. Unfortunately they aren't working / tracking outbound clicks. A few items:

1) I just read that for the outbound click tracking to work that you need to put GA code ABOVE the click tracking
    2) I just ran across this other page on GA help (I love GA, but they have about 10 different help docs for each problem and 8 different answers that often conflict: http://www.google.com/support/googl...swer=55527&cbid=poy1jfnullu9&src=cb&lev=index

I'll mess around a bit more and hope to have some good news when I come back.

OutsourcedMyLife, Jul 17, 2010 IP
  15. OutsourcedMyLife

OutsourcedMyLife Peon

Best Answers:
    Dang it! I've tried everything and I can't get the "on click" to generate that additional pageview in GA to track a goal (which will allow me to attribute the clicks to CJ to specific traffic source).

I'll keep trying, but this is really frustrating. Here are the instructions I followed to a "T"
    http://www.google.com/support/analytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=72712

OutsourcedMyLife, Aug 13, 2010 IP
  16. grungee

grungee Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I could be wrong but I use event tracking to track clicks and goal tracking for thing joining or purchasing.

grungee, Aug 13, 2010 IP
  17. OutsourcedMyLife

OutsourcedMyLife Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm more familiar with goals (setting them up, running reports on them, etc.) but if I can't get this to work I may move to event tracking.

OutsourcedMyLife, Aug 13, 2010 IP
  18. OutsourcedMyLife

OutsourcedMyLife Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, after months of dinking around trying to get this to work by modifying themes, code, etc. I was about to give up. Fortunately a super genius pointed me to the following:

http://yoast.com/wordpress/google-analytics/

Works perfectly!!

The data coming in is very interesting. While I can't attribute actions (final conversions) to the referrer, I am able to get the click data into goals. This is a good enough proxy for who is sending me clicking traffic.

Now to do some more optimizing and marketing to those places!

W00T!

OutsourcedMyLife, Sep 21, 2010 IP
  19. Daedorax

Daedorax Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    OutscourcedMyLife, bud I think you should do what makes you happy mate. If you think google analytics will help your business then go for it dude. Personally, I don't see the need for all this information, and I would try investing my earnings in something better, but if you think this is the best option for you then do it. Good luck dude and I'm happy that your making money from CJ!!

Daedorax, Sep 23, 2010 IP