1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Topsites hacked with c99shell

Discussion in 'Security' started by Toopac, Jan 20, 2007.

Some turkish hackers were targeting my Aardvark topsites & managed to install c99shell on to the account that hosts the topsites script so i want to know what steps i should take to make sure the hacker has left no backdoor to get back in again & want to know what information he could have got.

The account he hacked has a main site, topsites, poll, guestbook & forum but is also on the same server with some of my other sites.

What i did was check files dates for recently changed or upload files on the account that was hacked(there was none)

I deleted the topsites script & upgraded to the latest version.

What other steps would i need to take or should take to make things safe?

Toopac, Jan 20, 2007 IP
    Will.Spencer likes this.
  2. leet

leet Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Probably your permissions are set 777. Make them non-writable. And also, set safe mode on.

leet, Jan 20, 2007 IP
  3. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    about a year ago i had repeatedly same problem of hacker intrusion - now all solved.

if you give URL and a list of scripts you use online as well as OS - then may be I can help more precisely. however be warned that securing your site requires understanding your site with all scripts - I have spent some 300 hrs total to do just that - then I secured and solved all the problems ... successfully so far until these days.

In my case it was a faulty script of a commercial forum software - a bug that was known to the coders but unresolved by them until now - hence almost all those forums get/got hacked until now to upload files for phishing sites.

If I look at the frequent hacker attempts on my site and look at what kind of software they search for - that gives a pretty complete picture of the potential scripts they use to enter a site - I safely assume that hackers only search for scripts known to them to have a security hole to penetrate a site.

hans, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  4. torrentexplosion.com

torrentexplosion.com Guest

Best Answers:
    had a problem like that myself before...absolutely annoying

torrentexplosion.com, Feb 7, 2007 IP
  5. netdeals

netdeals Guest

Best Answers:
    I will recommend a fresh install of your hosting account as the hacker could have written malicious code in some other script also. So he can regain access to your website if he wants to.. Usually this code accepts remote file's. So you may need to check those too. Incase you dont want to remove all the script you may need to have a security audit for your website. You may like to check this.

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=278457

netdeals, Mar 26, 2007 IP
  6. tavshan

tavshan Peon

Best Answers:
    leet is right always use safe mode on ;)

tavshan, Mar 26, 2007 IP
  7. activebiz

activebiz Banned

Best Answers:
    c99shell. how lovely. I remember back in the day (last summer) when i used c99shell to access peoples sites and information and also get web space that wasn't mine LOL.

activebiz, Apr 7, 2007 IP
  8. Zinho

Zinho Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    The problem can be either because they got a way to upload files on your webserver (.php files with execute priv) or a bad include (remote file inclusion vulnerability).
    I would recommend that you do a check with aports to monitor also executables files opening port for shell other than malicious scripts being hijacked (check the forms' action field or anomalous javascript).

Zinho, Apr 9, 2007 IP
  9. edhan

edhan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Some software scripts require permission 777 to run. If that is the case, how do we protect it?

edhan, Apr 14, 2007 IP
  10. p2y

p2y Peon

Best Answers:
    If you trust your script then you dont have to set perms 777.But be sure you set safe mode on.

p2y, Apr 14, 2007 IP
  11. edhan

edhan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry. I think you got it wrong. What I am saying that the script requires to run with perms 777. Without 777, it will give error. For this situation, what can we do to protect that folder from being exploited?

edhan, Apr 14, 2007 IP
  12. p2y

p2y Peon

Best Answers:
    sorry i wrote it wrong . I was trying to say

If you trust your script then you dont have to set perms not 777.But be sure you set safe mode on.

p2y, Apr 15, 2007 IP
  13. zaphodb777

zaphodb777 Peon

Best Answers:
    Good scripts will include the files from the 777 directory to the publicly readable one, and the 777 directory will have direct access blocked by a deny all .htaccess .

PHP is good for reaching over the wall of an .htaccess for storing, or reading data.

Zap :)

P.S. My GPL/Freeware script ZB Block MAY help avoid injection of c99shell into your website. Get it at www DOT spambotsecurity DOT com SLASH zbblock DOT php

zaphodb777, May 18, 2009 IP
  14. StevieHotstuff

StevieHotstuff Peon

Best Answers:
    aswell as using .htaccess

make sure your admin directory is protected with .htpasswd

also make sure you scan your files with clamav or other av

StevieHotstuff, May 24, 2009 IP