1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Top directories??? - On who's Authority exactly!

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Event_King, May 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    A top directory is just words webmasters have attached to their own directories, to make them sound appealing, so it's easier to make sales off them. As they have done this, word spreads about the web, and forums picked up on this because it makes for good entertaining reading. I don't think the term Top Directory should be used, as it paints a false picture of the directory industry, where only a few rule the roost.

Must admit I've never heard of Yell.com ever having been called a top directory, so this really only applies to webmaster owned directories. And the few of the branded top ones just aren't discussed in the same light as 'top webmaster diectories' are, which explains a lot - and this being that webmaster directories are fighting to get noticed, and I think they will say or do anything to get the next link, even pretend to be something they aren't, so there's a lot of bullshit surrounding the industry, or perhaps it's just bravado :)

The 1st and 2nd tier stuff is mentioned for the same reason - to get noticed and is just bravado. There is no official rankings or lists for directories, but there are clearly unofficial lists doing the rounds, but it's only opinion based on what webmasters prefer to use for whatever ends. Nobody else actually believes this hype, only the webmasters and uneducated - and it's just hype.

Event_King, May 5, 2008 IP
  2. gunakesh

gunakesh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    this reslts are good for knowledge base

gunakesh, May 5, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.