1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Top 5 Best Methods for Acquiring New Clients

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by SCookAAM, May 31, 2014.

Hi gang,

I was thinking about our business and how many people struggle to succeed, and how many find moderate success, and of course, how many achieve great success as writers. I think one of the best parts of this forum is that it allows us to exchange ideas and suggestions and truly help each other.

When I talked to some people about my book which teaches writers how to make money in the freelance world, most non-writers said that I'd be teaching my competition how to better compete with me.

The truth of it is, in my opinion, that this is not so. yes, there is some truth to the idea that when we share our "tricks" with each other, we give competitors a better chance at succeeding, I think there is another side to it.

There is enough work out there for everyone. More than enough, in fact. Because as many writers as there are, the number of really good ones is still a small percentage. There are levels of writers, levels of clients and what's great is thatwe can all learn and grow.

so, with that being said, the idea of this thread is to list our top 5 most effective methods for obtaining new clients. I'm sure we'll all learn something and get some unique perspectives. Feel free to elaborate on your lists. Here are mine not in any particular order:

1. Direct response - Although not the easiest method, it does often return the highest results. It is through direct contact that you often find the best-paying clients and can create long-term and profitable relationships. This can be done via mailing sales letters, email campaigns, cold calling or even knocking on doors.

2. networking - Nowadays, this includes joining business groups in your area as well as social media. Personally, I have to say I haven't been all that good at this, at least in the digital realm. I'm not a fan of Facebook, and I don't like the idea of putting my life up for public consumption. I tend to use LinkedIn more, but find that because of the nature of it, everyone is there to sell something, so I've had limited success. I blame myelf for this, however, as I really don't focus on this area too well. What do you guys think?

3. Freelance websites - Yes, many people have a love/hate relationship with ODesk and eLance - or maybe a hate/hate. But the truth is that when you learn the ins and outs, these are great resources for work. I routinely earn between $2,000 and $4,000 per month from these.

4. Referrals - A happy customer is more often than not happy to get you customers. Sometimes you have to prompt them, and sometimes they'll refer you all on their own. so give them every opportunity to help you do this.

5. Sharing - when you write a helpful article, create a useful blog or post on a forum, you are sharing some of your knowledge and wisdom. This may or may not directly benefit you, but in the long-run, I believe you're contributing positively to the law of attraction. you do get what you think you'll get. And sharing something of yourself certainly has benefits in many ways.

Just some food for thought, what do you think?

SCookAAM, May 31, 2014 IP
    Content Maestro likes this.
  2. Mr Right

Mr Right Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Great stuff. Being proactive is the most important.

Mr Right, May 31, 2014 IP
  3. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You earn $2,000 to $4,000 monthly from the freelance sites? Would you mind sharing about how many pieces and the time that represents? Would you consider them mostly filler-type articles or stuff that takes time to research?

YMC, May 31, 2014 IP
  4. wrcato

wrcato Active Member

Best Answers:
    My favorite way to land the Ideal client is to write a letter (snail Mail) offering my copy-writing service. I use a johnson box form card for the client to fill out if they want to get my portfolio. This is how I landed my highest paying clients.

wrcato, Jun 4, 2014 IP
  5. SCookAAM

SCookAAM Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, to address YMCA's question, I do not write articles. Unless they're part of a larger project in which sales copy or marketing material is required. Not that I'm above it, but it's just that as we know, articles don't pay well.

it's difficult to say what those numbers represent in work and clients, because it changes. However, 4 to 8 project per month, give or take.

For example:

I have one ongoing client who pays me $80 per hour as the chief copy editor for an up and coming web sharing site.
    I have two contracts with a large marketing company writing copy for some fairly large projects coming out soon, one pays $20 per hour and one $30.

I tend to do a couple of fixed-price jobs during the month. You never know, they could pay $200 or 2,000. I try to do 1 or two of these each week in order to fill gaps.

I've got several other projects open to, ranging from $25 to $66 per hours. It's crazy.

But it can be done. it's really not that hard, it's a matter of putting the pieces together and going after the right clients. it's also about tuning into each job and quoting a price that you know they'll pay and that you can live with. I'd love to get $100 per hour on everything, but that's not realistic.

So I do a job that pays me 10 or 15 at $30 and stil make a few hundred bucks and then I maintain my income and leave space for the big boys.

Thhis is, forgive me for promoting myself, why I wrote my book.

Now, as for wrcato's comment, I totally agree. This method is the best for getting the best clients. it demonstrates a seriousness and dedication that a larger client wants to see in someone they're paying $100 an hour for :)

SCookAAM, Jun 4, 2014 IP
    Content Maestro likes this.
  6. Melisa455

Melisa455 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Good point
    I like your point 3, 4 and 5.

Can you elaborate more on point 3?
    I think many would like to know what you do on ODesk and eLance to learn $2000 - $4000 a month.

Melisa455, Jul 22, 2014 IP
  7. Melisa455

Melisa455 Active Member

Best Answers:
    What book did you write? I didn't see you sell any ebook on the DP marketplace..

Melisa455, Jul 22, 2014 IP
  8. SCookAAM

SCookAAM Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Melissa.

I put a link to my book a few times in the dp marketplace. Although I'm admittedly not great at using that section. It's in my signature link. Where it says author of How to make money as a freelance copywriter? You can click on it. But here is a link:

http://www.learntowriteformoney.com

SCookAAM, Jul 23, 2014 IP
  9. Normanwalker

Normanwalker Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It all depends on who you're targeting. If you're looking to provide for internet marketers, the best method is to post on internet marketing forums or maybe even contacting them directly yourself.

You can also look to content mills. Content mills are websites that buy your articles. The rates are a little lower and the standards are stricter, but it'll be a good gauge for you to know if your writing's of substantial quality or not.

Normanwalker, Jul 30, 2014 IP