1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Tools to improve website marketing/monitoring

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by mixDev, Jun 9, 2004.

Hi,
    Iwas going through DigitalPoint for a while......but this is my first post.

I got a problem that really matters. i was asked to build a site (and some online tools) where other website owners can promote/market their sites. So i compiled a small list of online tools that i should build and deploy....it looks somewhat like this....

1) Online adbanners.
    adding new campaigns and ROI calculations. The clients should have a facility to add new campaigns and check the productivity
    2) Email marketing
    email newsletters to targetted groups. For e.g., pple interested in 'print media'.
    3) Site monitoring and reporting
    Link checkers,siteup checks, SE ranking reports.
    4) Site Tracking
    visitor tracking, in/exit pages, SE-referer-keywords...etc

This is a crude list actually and our aim is to have an 'all-tools-here' image. And they will be more interested in first 2 points mostly. But right now, we cant offer our own adservers and emaillists to the clients as we dont have the publisher base and email databases. What iam thinking is, enable them to use the popular tools instead. Its like this

Our clients(siteowners) -> WE -> Popular service providers -> internetsurfers

I know in any advertisement campaigns, i have to login and manipulate my info. But is that possible to have one general account with them and enable my clients to use it from our interface?

iam not a marketing guy. Iam mainly into coding and design. So please forgive me if my thoughts are not worth giving head. ;)

Please point me New things i can add to my list or other improvements....Your efforts will be highly appreciated. thanx.

mixDev, Jun 9, 2004 IP
  2. misohoni

misohoni Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not really sure what question you are asking here? Could you break it down into readable/understandable chunks?

thanks

misohoni, Jun 12, 2004 IP
  3. mixDev

mixDev Peon

Best Answers:
    hi,

Im sorry if i troubled u all with my qns.........thank you for your time.

What i want to learn more is mainly related to marketing side of the web.
    Ok lets have an example. suppose you are having a website which provides print services. Obviously you want more visitors. And iam starting a website that helps marketing your site. Iam wondering what kind of tools you expect in my site. Please note that im not doing customized page optimization becoz iam going to build automated tools.

For more focussed thinking these are my aims that IAM having in mind...

Advertisement tracking.
    You are running your banners on affiliate sites and periodically sending newsletters. So you may want to know the Return On Investment.

Site monitoring.
    You may want to know your site links are not broken. And server response times are not bad or not.

Search Engine Reports
    Whats your position in SERPS?, what improvement you made in the last week?, which are ur best performing pages? Which are ur top keywords?

Visitor tracking
    Which country is giving you best traffic. How long a visitor stays at ur pages? in which page probably a visitor leaves the site mostly?

These are the thigs iam thinking as of now. Please correct me with better approaches and new ideas. ANYTHING is welcome.

What iam greatly confued is in tracking google roi and overture roi. for e.g. how to know impressions and clickthroughs realtime?

thanx again.

mixDev, Jun 14, 2004 IP
  4. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Your second post is simply a repeat of your first post.

It is still very hard to know exactly what you are asking. But maybe we can answer one or two parts of the questions.

If you are talking about using AdWords for advertising, AdWords themselves provide you a mechanism for tracking conversions. Overture does a similiar thing
    Your web hosting company may be able to provide this information for you, but if not you can install programs on your desktop that will analyze the hosting server logs. I personally use Webalizer.
    Have you looked at DigitalPoint Keyword Tracker.
    There are two tools I know that track broken links. Broken Links Checker and Xenu's Link Sleuth

There, I guess I've answered more than two.

compar, Jun 14, 2004 IP
  5. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    www.statcounter.com provides a free tool that shows exactly this. Install a bit of javascript on your page and it will do lots of stuff for you. Interesting part is the keywords they found you with, the search engines they used, country stats, paths they follow on your website (see where they arrive and answering your question, where they exit!) and referrers. You can block your own IP if you wish and do lots more. Monitor returning visitors etc.

T0PS3O, Jun 14, 2004 IP
    ViciousSummer likes this.
  6. mixDev

mixDev Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanx pple, my post was misleading.

Anyway i think i said "IAM GIVING THIS SERVICES TO MY CLIENTS WEB SITES. NOT FOR MINE".

Ok Iam planning a service similar. www.omniture.com and urchin.com. (they r biggies i know. ;))

T0PS3O, i have seen that site too. Iam planning to provide such services in my site too.

compar, thanx for the links. I know most of the sites u mentioned. Iam not planning loganalyzing tools here, but the javascript inclusion stuff mentioned by T0PS3O. the problems are still there. for eg, how can we track adwords ROI for the clients through our website? (ie, the client has an adword advertiser.).

most of the problems i face are mentioned above already.

mixDev, Jun 24, 2004 IP
  7. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I doubt you can monitor on behalf of someone. Try Google developer forums and see if you can do it through the API :S

T0PS3O, Jun 25, 2004 IP
  8. progene

progene Peon

Best Answers:
    ROI Web Site Traffic 07/11/2004 Freeware 1500
    Tracking of your Internet advertisement profitability

I found this while browsing files for something else so I don't know how well it works. You can find it at http://www.pcwdld.com/internet/log-analyzers/indexsize.htm

progene

progene, Oct 9, 2004 IP
  9. Forwhomthebelltolls

Forwhomthebelltolls Peon

Best Answers:
    Just to jump in,

If you are wanting to track how well your ads are doing, in terms of ROI and the ratio of visitors from paid ads to sales then you could do with a specific sales tracking tool. The best I've found is www.saletrack.co.uk. It's a small bit of javascript into the code and it then tells you how how many people visit and where they're from, be it paid ad or natural listing, and then how much they spent. it also allows you to see how specific ads are doing for you with reports etc. Its good, we like it.

Forwhomthebelltolls, Nov 18, 2004 IP