1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

too many backlinks from a single source

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by Buhawi, Apr 3, 2008.

My website is only three months old. I don't have many backlinks to boast. Fact is, I'm desperately struggling to get them.

Now, according to my yahoo site explorer account, I only have about 700 backlinks. That's not the issue for me. What concerns me is the fact that about half of those links come from a single website, a directory to which I have submitted my site weeks ago.

While it is true that I'm in need of relevant quality backlinks, I feel uncomfortable with this, even if the directory to which I am receiving links from is a site relevant to mine.

Is this a bad omen or a good sign? Either way, what should I do to protect and promote my website? If its going to harm my site, what should I do? If its good for my website, what should I do to take advantage of this occurence?

I'll surely appreciate whatever opinion or advice you can share with me on this. Thanks!

By the way, if it is any help, FYI I'm a complete newbie at webmastering. Still groping in the dark, so to speak.

Buhawi, Apr 3, 2008 IP
  2. tsukara

tsukara Banned

Best Answers:
    Well, having 700 backlinks is still good but it's better that the links are coming from different site. Submit your site to another directory. Continue posting in forums with your sig. It helps in gaining backlinks.

tsukara, Apr 3, 2008 IP
  3. Buhawi

Buhawi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, tsukara, for your quick response.

I have other backlinks from different sites. What worries me is that I have loads of these IBLs coming from a single site.

Are you, therefore, telling me that there is no harm in having them and that it shouldn't cause me any alarm?

Buhawi, Apr 3, 2008 IP
  4. Webdrops

Webdrops Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess no need to worry.... see I understand it this way... if you bookmark your site on any bookmarking engine... and 1000's of people save your listing... then it's just creating duplicates on same website and you cannot really control this... so just chill friend... Links are good no Matter what (yes!! not to forget quality links).... so keep building some good quality links and keep working hard... thats what SEO's is all about loads of work pressure and loads of patience and astonishing results :)... and yes if you need suggestions on how to build quality links.... Read this 101 Link Building Tips to Market Your Website.... hope this helps

Remember SEO is time consuming... but it can produce great results....
    Good Luck

Webdrops, Apr 3, 2008 IP
  5. adda4u

adda4u Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    101 Link Building Tips to Market Your Website

Thanks for providing it

adda4u, Apr 3, 2008 IP
  6. Buhawi

Buhawi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, webdrop, for that encouraging response and that resourceful link! Now, I feel relieved... :)

Buhawi, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  7. flock09

flock09 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I was about to comment when I read you feel much better now.

What I wanted to say is you really do not have to worry. Robots are not that close-minded. They are will programmed i say.

flock09, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  8. neeshu

neeshu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    which is this site where have you submitted your site
    which tracker are you using are you using statcounter

neeshu, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  9. tsukara

tsukara Banned

Best Answers:
    There is no harm to your site as long as those backlinks are came from related site and not bad neighborhood.

tsukara, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  10. Dreads

Dreads Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Having loads of links from 1 site is okay, yet if you are getting a bit way to much then it might be a problem, yet you wont get hurt.

Dreads, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  11. angilina

angilina Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Having too many links will ever hurt a site.

If it does, then people will start to build large number of backlinks for their competitors to get them harm.

Anything outside your site can hurt you. The most that can happen is that those backlinks will be ignored, nothing else.

angilina, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  12. Buhawi

Buhawi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Even if those loads of links come from ONLY ONE site? Say, 500 out of a total of 900 inbound links? It's still no reason to worry?

And why could this be happening? I have submitted to some other niche directories, but I haven't received loads of links from them. One or three, maybe, yes. But not hundreds of inbound links from them.

That's why I became worried when I started to see the number of links from one directory grow every day. Because its not what's happening with the other couple of directories.

What could possibly be causing this generous giving of links? I'm curious.

Buhawi, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  13. ericfromandys

ericfromandys Peon

Best Answers:
    I also think having loads of links coming from one site won't hurt you. I think it's possible Yahoo (and Google for that matter) might not value every one of those links as highly. So in others, they almost surely don't hurt you, but they may not help you either. In fact, I am having the same experience where I got a boatload of links from these few particular sites, and it doubled my overall link count, yet my results in the search engines stayed roughly the same.

ericfromandys, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  14. Buhawi

Buhawi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Lol! I think that is exactly what's happening right now to my site, eric. I wouldn't mind having these bunch of loads had I noticed even a slight improvement in the site's SERPs performance. :)

Buhawi, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  15. owen1973

owen1973 Peon

Best Answers:
    your site must be good

owen1973, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  16. sam08

sam08 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I dont see this as a problem, better to have some backlinks than none, right?

sam08, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  17. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Many of us in this forum have tons of links from a single website — Digital Point. It doesn't seem to be doing any harm at all.

Jim4767, Apr 4, 2008 IP
    bangalore likes this.
  18. zealtech

zealtech Banned

Best Answers:
    Continue link building with relevent theme. I think links comes from a single domain can't harm your site if this site is related to your site theme.

zealtech, Apr 5, 2008 IP
  19. DrewAMP

DrewAMP Peon

Best Answers:
    You're fine. Like Jim said, you're already getting IBLs from DigitalPoint every time you make a new post.

DrewAMP, Apr 5, 2008 IP
  20. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    Again, Jim provides the only useful answer. The other answers, well, nothing short of moronic.

If building too many backlinks too quickly doesn't harm your site - then why won't half these guys do it? I tell you why. It's because you'll be banished from the club. Your sites sail is against the wind this time, especially if you use the majority of advice given above.

Given that, it is difficult to harm a well-established site. But I can guarantee if you set up a site today, get it indexed the next day, if everyone at DP linked to it like mad, submitted it literally everywhere, then the only place I'd find your site is way back on page 984 in 9843rd place. Google only displays the first 1000 results.

Enjoy.

Spider-Man, Apr 5, 2008 IP