1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Too Long?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by i30, Sep 10, 2005.

How many characters are too many for a domain name. I want it to be as SE friendly as possible.

My main three keywords add up to 23 characters and would make a decent domain name, but I am considering going with something shorter to make it better for SEs. Is it fine to have such a long domain name, or is it a setback when it comes to ranking?

i30, Sep 10, 2005 IP
  2. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamer™

Best Answers:
    Shorter is not necessarily better for SEs. My domain name has 78 characters and I do fine in the SEs.

Roman, Sep 10, 2005 IP
  3. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    The longer the domain is, the less professional it looks.
    Stick to short domains.

fryman, Sep 10, 2005 IP
  4. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Domain name can have some bearing on serps, but the main problem with long ones come as fryman put it they are not very professional, not to mention who will remember exactly how to spell it?

If the domain is an easy to remember phrase however you may be alright, if you do it though also try to get any variations or plurals as well.

Forgot to add.
    Another option is to get a 'short' name for the site itself, use the long domain for the serps. Transfer via a permanent redirect to the 'long' domain but have the site images, text, etc state the short domain for your users to come back to. This way you get the best of both worlds. I've used this method before with very good results. However make certain not to have the serps think you're trying to promote both, otherwise you may get a penalty.

GRIM, Sep 10, 2005 IP
  5. Max Power

Max Power Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree. also 23 characters is not that long ;)

Max Power, Sep 10, 2005 IP
  6. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamer™

Best Answers:
    Dictionary type in words are long gone so we are left with innovative ways to get our sites remembered, long/short, don't think it matters, it's the content that counts. How many of you actually type in digitalpoint... not me, it's in my favorites.

Aprart from actual single words I do not believe short domain names help, you are better off with a longer name containing your keywords. I'd rather have "girls are smarter than guys. com" than "gastg .com" for serp value.

Roman, Sep 10, 2005 IP
  7. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    the name of the domain has nothing to do with serps.

fryman, Sep 10, 2005 IP
  8. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamer™

Best Answers:
    I beg to differ, i think key words in the domain name help in SEO.

Roman, Sep 10, 2005 IP
  9. i30

i30 Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks for clearing a bunch of stuff up.

I think I'll go ahead and register the domain.

i30, Sep 11, 2005 IP
  10. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Then explain to me why I still obtain #1 rankings by regng the keyword I want? Sure seams to work for me and has for years. Even with google once it accepts the domain name as the brand name for the search term. It has also shown very effective in msn and yahoo, but that's just my experience.

In my favs to, but some people do not use favorites us webmasters do :) Also helps being shorter when someone is at a party talking about that cool site they were on, but sucks when they can't remember how to spell it.

GRIM, Sep 11, 2005 IP