1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

To Hummer Or Not?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Such Great Heights, Aug 23, 2004.

1. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    We have everything in the USA, you should know that SE, we even have British Petro (BP) :D

anthonycea, Aug 24, 2004 IP
  2. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Ah...

You've all got taste then ;)

SEbasic, Aug 24, 2004 IP
  3. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    How about a Subaru Legacy? I've got a Legacy wagon and it fits a couple of bikes and all my kit inside, though with bike racks and roof-bars you could really load it up :D it's a 4x4 and I'm sure they do 130+ MPH, though where I got that idea from I really don't know... ;) They do a Forrester too which should give you some more ground-clearance.

Lever, Aug 24, 2004 IP
  4. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    My step dad had one of those once. Man that was QUICK...

Got it chipped and the thing just flew!

You'd enjoy that Shawn. Maybe an Impreza.

SEbasic, Aug 24, 2004 IP
  5. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    We have Range Rovers, but for some reason I never liked how they look (not sure how they compare as an actual off-road machine). Always looked too uhm... "English" for me. ;) But I see lots of people that have them around me.

As far as a 4x4 that goes 130mph... that's not one of my requirements. It's also why I think things like the Porsche SUVs are lame. If you ask me, if you want a sports car, get a sports car . If you want an SUV, get an SUV, not a car with a Ferrari body with lifted suspension and off-road tires. ;)

Also, you could argue a Lamborghini is a 4x4 since it's all wheel drive. heh

digitalpoint, Aug 24, 2004 IP
  6. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been thinking.
    And I hate to say this, but if the Hummer is what fits your needs, and there really isn't anything else out there, I guess I can't stop you. :p

Although I still think you shouldn't get one. They are a waste of resources, and are a symbol of how "AmeriCorp" will make anything no matter how wasteful/inefficient/unneccessary just as long as the public will keep buying them and giving them money for whatever product it is.

Just don't go commuting (do you even do that?) everyday in a 8+ ton of metal and tires by your self, maybe get a scooter for around town crap, they are way fun. :D
    I can't stand seeing all the commuters here in Huntington Beach/Long Beach driving their hummers 40 miles a day with only them in it just to work and back. They need to take a freakin bus, or at least carpool, it wont kill'em. OR maybe it will.

Besides you are more environmentally aware than most hummer buyers or even most consumers.

I know you don't need my "approval" but this is just how I think of it. :cool:

Such Great Heights, Aug 24, 2004 IP
  7. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I don't commute. :) The truck I have now gets an average of about 8,000 miles per year on it after more than 6 years. A good portion of that is snowboarding trips, trips to Arizona (towing a boat), etc.

8. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I always joke with my wife about all these suv's that can only carry one person, yet are as big as my full sized dodge van that we take the 6 kids in...

Once I find the back seats for my 58 vw bus, it can hold nine people and still top off at about 52 mph - LOL - you want to talk about low gearing..... I have been have fun driving it around, but without the seats and seatbelts I don't take the family or little ones in it.

The VW bus is the original SUV, everything after is a wannabe.

debunked, Aug 24, 2004 IP
  9. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    Yes, we have the Range Rover in the US. It was actually quite popular until the Hummer came out ;) . I think the problem with the Range Rover is that it hasn't really changed it's styling in such a long time. It's a bit "boring" in my opinion. But, if someone gave one to me, I might drive it ;) .

As for the Hummer debate...Being as Shawn doesn't commute (or even drive everyday) I don't think the gas mileage/enviromental issue is a problem. I wouldn't personally want such a big car unless you have a bunch of kids or something to haul around, but to each there own. I would much rather have a Toyota 4Runner. I've attached a pic of the one I want...Christmas is coming up you know :D ...

Attached Files:

ViciousSummer, Aug 24, 2004 IP
  10. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Damm right SGH, I say we put wheels on that snowboard Shawn has and a solar powered motor and eliminate all of that waste. :mad:

Or we could give him a flying broom powered by solar cells with instructions on how not to fly too close to the Sun so his wings don't melt :p

Both of these are innovative ideas that California folks could really get into :cool:

11. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    OK, so 200+ KPH isn't part of the selection criteria... does it need to be bomb or bullet-proof?

Lever, Aug 24, 2004 IP
  12. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    No, it doesn't... :)

13. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    I guess he never plans on going to Mexico City or Compton :eek:

14. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    What we really need is a Monorail that is on stilts, like the Disneyland monorail, that will travel along the 5 and 405 all the way from San Diego to LA. So many commuters could benifit from such a form of transportation.
    :cool:

Such Great Heights, Aug 24, 2004 IP
  15. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Why don't you guys just get some speed boats and use the Pacific Ocean, much more fun that way, or get one of those new flying cars, when you see a traffic jam you just take off, sort of like the Harrier Jump Jet. :eek:

16. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It wouldn't be much different than the Coaster that's already there. We need a system like San Francisco's BART.

17. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Yet another "vote" that Shawn posts some pictures of his Hummer when he gets it. Highly recommend you get it soon - next thing you know, you get married, have kids, and you end up buying a Toyoda Sienna minivan ... and all "hope" is lost ... unless you trick it out - check out www.turbominivan.com which includes some guys that take their family minivan to the 1/4 mile drag strip! ;-)

alek

P.S. I've owned a Subaru Outback for 6 years and live in Colorado. I don't do as much 14'ers and skiing as I used to, but it's a darn good car in the moutains and snow ... although it won't do 130 MPH like the Legacy that lever mentioned (but I don't drive over a 100 MPH anymore anyway).

hulkster, Aug 25, 2004 IP
  18. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I saw a minivan one time that someone tricked out that was actually pretty amazing. It was faster (top speed and off the line) than a Dodge Viper.

digitalpoint, Aug 25, 2004 IP
  19. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Yea, I bet I saw the same one (on the web) ... I couldn't find the URL, so I settled for the above, but it was a GREAT page. Funniest thing was he would show up at some new track with his family, drive up to the start line, and then have his wife and kids pile out. Everyone would snicker-snicker-snicker ... and then he'd smoke 'em - was some funny video and I recall he was getting 12 second times in the 1/4 mile. He also talked about how he'd pull up at stoplights next to young kids in their sports car and blow 'em away on the green light.

OOOPS - here is it - was right in front of me!

hulkster, Aug 25, 2004 IP
  20. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    No, that's not the one, but still funny... :)

digitalpoint, Aug 25, 2004 IP