1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

To encode or not to encode

Discussion in 'PHP' started by pilar, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    We will launch our new software product for retail shortly (dating script clone of Plentyoffish.com), but we are still thinking about to encode the software or not. What will be the disadvantages to not encode the product? And how much do we need to encode the script, I mean how many percent and which pages?

I hope someone can consult me about this issue since we don't know what's the best option for us.

pilar, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  2. Im The ONE

Im The ONE Peon

Best Answers:
    i think there's no advantage in decoding the script moreover it increases its processing time.
    I suggest ioncube over Zend or you can review encoders here: http://www.encodercompare.com/

Im The ONE, Sep 9, 2007 IP
    Nestrer likes this.
  3. Brewster

Brewster Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry for the late reply. I think that a big disadvantage on encoding would be that your customers would not be able to fix small bugs for themselves. If you encoded the software then I think your customers would be very frustrated

Brew

Brewster, Sep 25, 2007 IP
  4. youscript

youscript Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it is good to open source.

youscript, Sep 25, 2007 IP
  5. pilar

pilar Peon

Best Answers:
    but when it's open source, please can "steal" the script, right?

pilar, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  6. projectshifter

projectshifter Peon

Best Answers:
    People can "steal" scripts regardless. Personally I find it really aggravating when people encode their stuff, it's a pain and annoying. I bought a script, first thing I did was decode it so I could work on it, I would not have bought it had I known ahead of time. You'll piss off a lot and lose out on more customers if you encode it.

projectshifter, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  7. Brewster

Brewster Active Member

Best Answers:
    That is one argument for encrypting the code, however if someone wants to steal your code encrypting the source is only a deterent. There are ways to unencrypt.

If you want to prevent people from not paying for your script, then think about the value you add to your customers - what benefits do they get? Support, suggestions for new features, a community for customers etc etc. Software piracy is pretty much a fact of life - put more effort into the benefits for your customers rather than spending time and effort into stopping people from copying your work

Brew

Brewster, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  8. ds316

ds316 Peon

Best Answers:
    Paying for Zend or IonCube is absolutely useless imo. They offer the same level of protection as a free PHP bytecode compiling script called bencoder, as the encryption placed on top of the code is sort of pointless as the script must at some point be decompiled into bytecodes again for the script to run. Plus using the plain bytecode compiled files does not require any extra software to be on the clients server. Plain bytecode encoded files also offer faster times than zend or ioncube, as it gets all the performance benefits of bytecode compiling without the added processing of the decryption.

The one thing zend and ioncube do offer is user friendliness, and they can be espescially handy when doing large projects. However, if you can do it using bencoder via the command prompt, that's just as good.

ds316, Sep 26, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.