1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

To eCommerce or not to eCommerce

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by CyberBrian, Aug 30, 2005.

I'm looking for opinions on launching an ecommerce site. I've thought for some time that competition and idiots selling products with $1 mark ups made ecommerce not very profitable on a small scale.

However, I've been looking through BizBuySell and local listings and I have been noticing several ecommerce sites doing $5,000-$10,000 a year that are nothing more than poorly designed Yahoo! Stores lacking any seo/marketing effort at all. A lot of these stores do not dropship, maintain less than $5,000 in inventory and sell product for a decent mark up (maybe 10-20% off retail).

I've requested info on some of the sites I've been seeing recently, dealt with a few business brokers (read:used car salesman) and came to the conclusion that (with one exception) the profits were real.

I found a site for sale through a broker here in St. Louis that I really liked. The product was small (could be shelved in half an empty closet), the site could be purdy with a face lift, and the revenue was worth the amount of work it took to process orders. To top it off, the owner was going to finance some of the deal so I didn't have to go into credit card debt to cover it.

Then, I realized something. I'm not an idiot. Why can't I launch a $29.99/month Yahoo! Store and just do it on my own?

But...

Is there a single reliable source for finding a wholesaler on the Internet or are they all scams?

Do companies still sell to small e-businesses or are they fed up with ebayers and the like selling stuff for $1 over wholesale?

Are the sites I've been seeing for sale flukes or am I really just a Yahoo! Store, a decent template, and a few backlinks away from a monthly income?

Thoughts appreciated.

CyberBrian, Aug 30, 2005 IP
  2. itmontreal.ca

itmontreal.ca Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello CyberBrian,
    It is my professional opinion that e-commerce is never easy. Like any type of commerce you have to win the trust of the buyers, need to advertise your business through traditional advertising methods, think about logistics and put a system in place. This is why many .com businesses went bankrupt in the 90's . They never understood that e-commerce is similar to traditional commerce in many ways. I don't believe that anyone can be that successful by just paying $29.99 , changing the template to a generic template and buying backlinks. You need to be careful regarding to the product you will be selling, and invest a lot of your time thinking how you will market your product and to who you will market your product(s) .. Plus you will need to find ways to make sure the potential buyers will trust to purchase items from your website. I hope that my two cents helps. Good luck

itmontreal.ca, Sep 4, 2010 IP
  3. gotlivechat

gotlivechat Member

Best Answers:
    Ummm; that original post is from 2005? Can you necro-posting :)

gotlivechat, Sep 5, 2010 IP
  4. itmontreal.ca

itmontreal.ca Peon

Best Answers:
    I apologize I didn't realize that the post was from 2005.

itmontreal.ca, Sep 5, 2010 IP
  5. wounded1987

wounded1987 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    feels like the owner never entered ecom business based on his sig sites? maybe..

wounded1987, Sep 5, 2010 IP
  6. ultradesign

ultradesign Peon

Best Answers:
    :) very old post but ... ecommerce still is a good business to run !

ultradesign, Sep 7, 2010 IP
  7. orxzen

orxzen Peon

Best Answers:
    design2templates is a good psd to magento, joomla, werdpress, oscommerce, drupal service providers please visit for more information design2templates.com

orxzen, Nov 14, 2010 IP
  8. psfreak

psfreak Guest

Best Answers:
    Ecommerce i've found to be my most profitable websites... go to sleep and make sales.

psfreak, Nov 15, 2010 IP
  9. lely

lely Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry,you want to ecommerce in 2005,today is 2010,how about your ecommerce?

lely, Nov 18, 2010 IP