1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

To DMOZ editors

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by sridhar kondoji, Oct 7, 2005.

In a world, where you can't get services for what you paid for, volunteers such as DMOZ editors are doing excellent job in cleansing the webworld and keeping spam sites at bay.

I have quiet unsuccessfully raised some issues with dmoz editors earlier.
    One of those issues have to do with status checks.

It is quiet painfull for webmasters to wait forever to get listed in dmoz with no feedback on the status of their application.

I believe and still hope that this system should be reinstated with some changes. Atleast this gives an hope to the webmaster that his listing is
    in the system, rejected, pending approval, transfered to other directory etc.

Without such a system, forums like this one and resource-zone will be filled with questions like "what happened to my listing?".

Coming to my listing of http://www.ebulawa.com

1) I don't know, if it ever was touched
    2) I don't know, if i have to re-submit (Don't want to spam the directory).
    3) I don't know, if it was rejected. Some volunteers are too good to email the webmasters about the status, but it is not mandatory on their part to do so.
    4) I don't know, if it is sitting in a wrong location. I have submitted mine after hours of discussion on resource-zone forum and Editors their had differing opinions on my listing.
    5) I am not sure of, when my listing will see the light.

These are probably the comon questions every webmaster goes through after listing.

Can i please, for the love of GOD ask/request dmoz editors to see which state my listing is?

Million thanks again to those all volunteers, irrespective of responses to my request.

sridhar kondoji, Oct 7, 2005 IP
    Alucard and sarahk like this.
  2. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The common thinking is -

Submit and forget.

If you get in great. If you dont, asking for help doesnt appear to do any good, resubmitting doesnt seem to do any good either. You will almost never get an email telling you that your site was rejected, and they no longer will do site status checks.

Basically - submit and forget.

joeychgo, Oct 7, 2005 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  3. Birdie

Birdie Peon

Best Answers:
    What will you do differently if you were given this information?
    1) It was rejected --> do nothing differently and life goes on
    2) It was listed --> do nothing differently and life goes on
    3) Its still waiting to be reviewed --> do nothing differently and life goes on
    4) It was moved to another category --> do nothing differently and life goes on
    5) etc --> do nothing differently and life goes on

Joey is right --> "Basically - submit and forget"
    Obsessing about it will change nothing.

Birdie, Oct 7, 2005 IP
  4. sridhar kondoji

sridhar kondoji Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all the responses.

What would i do differently?

1) if it was rejected, i will definitely look into details, why it was rejected.
    I can certainly make changes.

2) For all other things, i would certainly be sure, that i will receive some communication, which will eventually help me forget that i submitted to dmoz.

Crazy_Rob likes this.
  5. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    There are 2 things wrong with this statement
    1) almost never can a rejected site be changed to become listable
    2) if something could be changed why don't you do it now. Building a site to meet the minumum of requirements to be listed in DMOZ (or any other directory or any search engine) is always the wrong thing to do with a site and is most of the times the first step on your way to be rejected. Build sites for your visitors.

pagode, Oct 7, 2005 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  6. sridhar kondoji

sridhar kondoji Banned

Best Answers:
    Why?
    Site can be rejected for several reasons. One of them is wrong directory placement. Sometimes Editors are generous to relist it in appropriate directory and sometimes editors reject the site.

Site can be rejected for broken links.
    Assume i submitted today to dmoz. Another 6 months or 12 months, anything could happen to the site. Content may be deleted, ownsers may be changed or worse, site may get different theme.Now what will happen, when a DMOZ editor reviews the site now?
    Nobody designs a website to meet DMOZ guidelines. Almost everybody wants to do some business, attract users. I can't imagine of a site designed/hosted just to meet DMOZ or some directory listable guidelines.

sri

7. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    This is not correct. Editors must send the site to a more appropriate category. Editors who don't will be told how to handle correctly.

A site can only be judged by the content it has at the moment of review. Most editors will keep sites with minor flaws (like broken links) in unreviewed to check on them after a few weeks/months. If the flaws have been corrected it will be listed if not it clear that the onwer does not care about his webiste so why should we and it is deleted.

A webiste wil be rejected because of lack of unique content. For normal business and private persons this will almost never be a problem. For people looking for quick money to be made it will almost be imposisble to get listed.

pagode, Oct 7, 2005 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  8. carowan

carowan Peon

Best Answers:
    fire and forget.
    domz is not worth worrying over.

carowan, Oct 7, 2005 IP
  9. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No, let me tell you what you would do if you and everyone else had adirect line of contact to the editor. You will email complaining about the decision. Then you will get angrier and angrier, taking up more and more time that this editor gives for free Untill the editor gets so pissed off, he tells you to F***K off. and probably gets so pissed off with everyone who has not read the submission guidelines insisting on having it explained to them tie after time that he/she resigns.

I am not saying YOU would do this, I am just telling you what MOST shithead submitters do!

I am not with DMOZ currently, but I do have personal experience of this on my own and other directories where I edit. I have actually had people track me down to forums to have a go at me! Simply because THEY DID NOT READ THE SUBMISSION GUIDELINES. Although they would NEVER admit to this, they say I was wrong to reject it, because it a such a worthy site.

I agree that there should be a tracer on submissions, but if they do this then the editors will get hassled to buggerry.

Old Welsh Guy, Oct 7, 2005 IP
  10. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Editors mostly care about their own sites. It's better if you just become an editor.

dvduval, Oct 7, 2005 IP
  11. sridhar kondoji

sridhar kondoji Banned

Best Answers:
    Old Welsh Guy,
    I completely understand your point.
    It is not something personal.

What you just said is true. People don't have patience to go through the guidelines and there the problem lies. First time, when i submitted really long time back, i didnot read the guidelines.

For every solution for a good cause, there is always something on the negative.
    But i believe in finding solutions to it and keep ploughing.
    It is just like the good democracy, where terrorists keep finding loopholes and digging at us.

As this thread is serving no good cause, except going over same issue on the same road, i prefer putting an end right here.

Thanks for all the great responses.
    Sri

12. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    If you spend too much time bothering with DMOZ, you're in danger of neglecting your other work which could be more of a loss than the lack of a DMOZ listing :)
    Mike

Blogmaster, Oct 7, 2005 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  13. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's certainly true of a few. As you know, they don't generally last long once detected.

jimnoble, Oct 7, 2005 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  14. Old Welsh Guy

Best Answers:
    I edit on a few directories including skaffe, and I have actually rejected client sites as they are not of the required standard. I totally believe in the integrity of a directory, and have scored competitors of my own higher than my site because they are, Not saying they give a better service, they just have a better site ;)

Old Welsh Guy, Oct 8, 2005 IP
  15. sridhar kondoji

sridhar kondoji Banned

Best Answers:
    I am not sure, why anybody should give negative feedback/ratings for a post about DMOZ?

I received 3 negative ratings on this post. There was nothing in the post to give a negative rating.

Surprisingly, i received one more negative rating yesterday. Wow.

I gave just one negative rating on DP forum ( this was my first) for a post after giving a thought for more than 24 hrs. Wow, i see people using more freely the rating system.

Can anybody come forward and justify the negative rating?

sridhar kondoji, Oct 13, 2005 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  16. Old Welsh Guy

Best Answers:
    I have only once given negative rating, and on that occasion, as I do with positive I say why, and who I am. . Although who I am is not important, why I gve it is, else what will havebeen acomplished?

Old Welsh Guy, Oct 13, 2005 IP