1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Tired of the Google Tyranny?

Discussion in 'Google' started by visio, Nov 14, 2006.

1. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    Do you guys have any sites that rank for any good terms that are less then 2 -3 years old?

I am often looking at the domain ages , using the tools at webuildpages, and very rarely do I see sites that are less then 2-3 years old, for things that get over say 300 searches a day.

Do you guys who are reallly happy with google , get sites ranked quicker then 2 years?

ferret77, Nov 18, 2006 IP
  2. visio

visio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes some but some phrases can take a couple years. Phrases that are 300/day can be harder than other phrases that are searched 1,500/day and others are quite easy.

Ranking for medium to highly competitive phrases takes alot of patience and time. Most give up just before the clouds are about to break. I have my hard competition phrases but to be honest do much better with my long tail. get more results and usually more response from those results. These long tail phrases are usually searched less than 15/day but once you get a couple thousand of them the traffic adds up fast and you don't lose them that easy. Again I still work on the big stuff but the long-tail helps build the big rankings as well.

If you want to go for a big phrase just keep working at it. It will seem to take a long time but in the end it is worth it. Also don't worry if it takes a yr or two. Just make sure you got other jobs or something to fall on in the mean time if you aren't getting the traffic. Also keep an eye on seobook.com. He has good info. Good luck!

visio, Nov 18, 2006 IP
  3. fr0gman

fr0gman Peon

Best Answers:
    Google can be a challenge but once you learn the ropes it can also be a very profitable way to make a living.

fr0gman, Nov 18, 2006 IP
  4. weblaunch

weblaunch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    MSN is better than Google, IMO. Too bad it doesn't know how to promote its product.

weblaunch, Nov 19, 2006 IP
  5. visio

visio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Which one Google or MSN? I think both do pretty well IMO. MS has products such as Windows which are VERY popular. Google has veyr popular programs such as G Earth. Both promote products pretty good. Google is better that way because they are generaly free.

And MSN is definately not better than Google. Spammers love MSN still....

visio, Nov 19, 2006 IP
  6. parusa619

parusa619 Banned

Best Answers:
    Well, you have a point, but were talking about search engines here, and in terms of Quality, Google has the best quality websites indexed.

parusa619, Nov 20, 2006 IP
  7. Cutting Edge

Cutting Edge Guest

Best Answers:
    Google are a good search engine but come on, they themselves are the tyrants in a sense. They've taken over the internet (by popularity and by fair means, I have to admit because they deserved it) then they go and punish people by implementing an indefinite period of sandbox on allcomers. This makes people resentful when they have spent alot of money, time and effort to make a good website to earn themselves a bit of money fair and square, and Google tells them to wait outside for 6 months, a year, or maybe forever, and doesn't tell them what, if anything, they can do to get in, or if they will at all.

Surely there is a better way than this to go about things other than simply automatically punishing people just because they're new, regardless of how good their site is.

What about some kind of algorithm that compares the new sites to ones which they have allowed in, in a similar field, then determine wether the site is worthy of being allowed in after a mandatory and definiate 6 month period. I know alot of people are sick and tired of the complete indefinite sandbox periods of Google.

Cutting Edge, Nov 20, 2006 IP
  8. Klax

Klax Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't have the results that I want for my websites, but I have to admit that Google rocks!

Klax, Nov 20, 2006 IP
  9. thegypsy

thegypsy Peon

Best Answers:
    You know it is a funny thing about the sandbox… there really is no sandbox so to speak, there are symptoms off all shapes and sizes that give the ‘appearance’ of one.

Want to get out? Start link spamming. You see it is there to catch spammers and their ilk. Simple funnel effect. Make the algo heavily reliant on Links and then sit back and catch all the link spammers.

While some NEW sites may be of more value to the end user than established sites, I doubt this is the majority. Organic Search Traffic is FREE. Be happy you get that. When a site is new you will have to rely on other methods of generating traffic while your organic SEO takes hold.

thegypsy, Nov 20, 2006 IP
  10. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    so I like I said again, do any of you guys have any sites less then 2 years old that rank for anything desirable?

ferret77, Nov 20, 2006 IP
  11. visio

visio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You contradict yourself mate. They are the most powerful because of the sandbox and other filters which slow spam down and keep things relevany. Without them Google could be just another Yahoo!

Sandbox isn't really a problem: http://www.1stsearchenginerankings.com/2006/09/17/how-to-avoid-the-google-sandbox-explained/

The sandbox is good because it keeps get-rich quick scum away. They aren't going to want to wait a month just to get indexed. So in reality it is good for you because it helps keep spam away.

visio, Nov 20, 2006 IP
  12. thegypsy

thegypsy Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course... I have many clients that have new sites and I wouldn't be working for 2 years to rank them... Sure if you are talking uber-competitive 'money terms' it can take a while, thus one has a few strategies outside of the money terms to bring in targeted traffic.

Jeez... even one of my sites is less than 2 years and does quite well for many of it's targeted terms. I just don't know how well people really conduct SEO programs. If they are having problems after 2 years, they may want to re-eveluate their strategies in my eyes....

thegypsy, Nov 20, 2006 IP
  13. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    what do you consider money terms?

How many searches a day? Do the sites rank for?

Like I said I was typing in terms into the domain age tools at webuidlpages and very rarely was finding sites ranking that were less then 2 years old.

14. Cutting Edge

Cutting Edge Guest

Best Answers:
    I know the sandbox is made to combat spam, and I am in favour of some kind of fixed period for a sandbox, that I could live with, but having one which can last an indefinite period is wrong in my opinion. For sites what are obviously spam and instantly have 1,000,000 links to them which are obviously automated rubbish, but good wholesome websites continually get screwed over by the sandbox system. Especially people whom target keywords, but may still have very valueable content on their website.

Cutting Edge, Nov 20, 2006 IP
  15. visio

visio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sites that get 1,000,000 rubbish links while in sandbox are sure to stay a while ;)

You would really want a definate period of time? Okay 2 weeks and everyone gets out. That means that all spam sites get out in two weeks. Guess what that would mean? We would have alot more spam. Google knows what they are doing you don't. Why do you think they are so relevant. Lets not try and say they should do things when most of us couldn't even make a search engine as good as ask(which isn't a compliment if you could).

visio, Nov 20, 2006 IP
  16. Dudibob

Dudibob Peon

Best Answers:
    what sort of keywords would you consider good? something like having a category size of 4 million on a .com search? there are many other factors that make up how competitive a term is apart from the category size I know but just wanting to know what you call a good term?

Dudibob, Nov 20, 2006 IP
  17. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    a term that gets over 300 seaches day via the keyword tools, is good guideline

not perfect but its a start

18. yahchimp

yahchimp Peon

Best Answers:
    Google are suckers. Some of you say they are so good and the results are so much better than msn or yahoo but your wrong. I have seen many mfa and cloaked sites get good rankings in google. I can't say i know how yet and am still learning how to do it myself but i know google isn't as wonderful as some of you say.

yahchimp, Nov 20, 2006 IP
  19. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    personally I think they are all pretty similiar outside of the old sites thing, msn is trying to copy google results now, they arn't super easy anymore, at least for big phrases

20. yahchimp

yahchimp Peon

Best Answers:
    i used to have good msn rankings but some loser reported me i think because i disappeared after asking for seo help from a guy.

yahchimp, Nov 20, 2006 IP