1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Tips to avoid a Breakdown. Working the Dayjob and Still Running a Website?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by tankard, Sep 16, 2008.

1. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This actually comes from previous generations. They grew up in a time when you'd plant yourself with one company, work there your whole life and retire (gold watch, etc).

So, it was all about getting in with a company and moving upward.

I think the 80's marked the start of the decline for this line of thinking and the 90s destroyed it (Internet in full force, outsourcing more than standard labor jobs explodes).

And as you can see today, all it takes crappy leadership at the top to screw an organization and hundreds to thousands of people (or more).

One company here let go a couple hundred mid-level employees a couple months back. I bet they didn't see that coming. It's not always the "peons" that get canned anymore.

And that concludes our "sunny" news for the day. :D

marketjunction, Sep 20, 2008 IP
  2. neena123

neena123 Peon

Best Answers:
    I am surprised that you felt you had to clarify Jason's post Jh, it certainly wasn't required. He is quite capable of speaking his own mind and he always does and so do I. Jason has a quirky mind but he isn't an egoist for sure and as for his post being generic and despite your comments on it, I still stand by what I said. As for it being about money, kindly read the OP very carefully Jh, his post talks about being your own boss and using time effectively " to devote themselves to activities they love". His post is about managing more tasks in less time, read the Op again before you attack me Jh.

neena123, Sep 20, 2008 IP
  3. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Feel free to stand by what you said... but if I see someone posting comments in reference to someone else that I know are clearly incorrect, I'm going to say so whether or not they like it.

Being your own "boss" is about making money neena - you can't get around that fact just because it doesn't suit a point you were trying to make. If you can be your own boss doing something you love, there's really nothing better. By learning to manage your time in doing so, you're certainly left far more time to do those other things in life that you're passionate about, which don't have anything to do with being your own boss, which again is what this post is about (as you've said yourself).

jhmattern, Sep 21, 2008 IP
  4. cks_88200

cks_88200 Peon

Best Answers:
    this is the good tips, thank you tankard, as I always open up lots of email account.

It's time for me to save some works from checking different email account.

cks_88200, Sep 21, 2008 IP
  5. neena123

neena123 Peon

Best Answers:
    It is not about making a statement to suit my point. I have a right to my opinion, I will talk about it the way I see it, thats what the forums are for aren't they? For me being your own boss isn't about making money and if it you don't see it the way I do, that doesn't mean I am wrong. I too speak my mind if I think I am right and am not worried about what others think. If you have a problem with me not agreeing with you then so be it.

neena123, Sep 21, 2008 IP
  6. tankard

tankard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for all your responses. I've really enjoyed them.

I once had a time in my life when I was made feel guilty about earning money. It won't happen again. Making money is OK, it is fun, there are lots of good things you can do with money. I have nothing against volunteering but life is all about priorities and about allocating time proportionally.

When certain activity takes most of your life, classify it as a vampire and drop it. Then fill the space with something that doesn't consume yourself too much. That's how I feel...

That's a great tip, thank you. I know that I sometimes tend to overdo.

You're right. It's almost like filling a small suitcase with more and more stuff and wondering, hey, can I put some more into it? :D

I like the word "habit". First couple of weeks since I started using my diary, it felt like a nightmare. But I just kept moving and now it goes naturally.

tankard, Sep 22, 2008 IP
  7. ExistentialDesigns

ExistentialDesigns Peon

Best Answers:
    Great commentary and advice. I am new to this whole ecomerce thing and am trying real hard to make a go of it. I will take all the steps you outline and let you know if I reach all my goals. Thanks

ExistentialDesigns, Sep 22, 2008 IP
  8. modulis

modulis Guest

Best Answers:
    I use the 70/20/10 model theorized by Eric E. Schmidt --> it basically states that you should divide the time allotted to a task like this:
    - 70% for core task
    - 20% for tasks related to the core task
    - 10% for tasks not related to the core task

Does anyone else use this management model?

modulis, Sep 22, 2008 IP
  9. ErikJ

ErikJ Peon

Best Answers:
    A checklist is an absolute must must must for anyone online.

We all have A.D.D and its hard to focus on one thing when the world is at our fingertips.

a daily checklist over time will build you wealth

I may add to "smoke a little green" to keep me focused and sitting still is another trick I use and some good tunes. Get's you into the marketing groove

ErikJ, Oct 2, 2008 IP
  10. cd928

cd928 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree. Which is also why it's important that set up goals and work your schedule around it. Otherwise, you'll be wasting a lot of time pretending that you're working and accomplishing something when in fact you don't.

You don't necessarily have to be anal about your schedule. Just know what you have to do and how long you have to do it.

And laziness is rooted in not knowing what you want to do for the day, week or hell, the rest of your life. So again, set goals.

- Ced

cd928, Oct 2, 2008 IP
  11. Tropezienne

Tropezienne Guest

Best Answers:
    What a great post - I operate 3 blogs, am learning to trade forex, write articles and am trying to write a sitcom. I work full-time on this - have been doing so for about 6 months. I was registered as 30% disabled (fibromyalgia) and had to give up teaching and translation work. I receive a small allowance from the French Health/Social system to help me set my home/computer based business.

So - having the luxury of a full-time working week to dedicate to this I have found that it is economical to set specific times of the days for certain tasks. EG: personal email before 8am, during my lunch break, and after 6pm - work related email at 9am, at 2pm and at 6pm - unless there is anything urgent. This rule has saved me a lot of time and added to productivity.

I do a certain type of work pre-lunch (article writing) and another type after lunch (the blogs).

So far I have avoided social networking sites - I tried one and found it to be a complete time-thief and got fed-up of receiving virtual hugs/slaps/whatever.

Self-discipline is difficult to impose - the need to earn the rent helps.

Tropezienne, Oct 4, 2008 IP
  12. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

joeventura, Dec 12, 2008 IP
  13. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You'll never get everyone to concur on the amount of articles per week to write. Some of us post more than once a day on some sites. Some of us post once per week or just a few times per week on each site. Those of us with multiple sites probably don't treat each of our sites the same regarding posting (or they'd be foolish if they did, because it demonstrates that they're not differentiating their site goals and audiences). As for things like ezinearticles, some don't do it at all, some do it just once in while, some do it regularly, and some do it obsessively. No two webmasters are exactly the same.

jhmattern, Dec 12, 2008 IP