1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Tips on Protecting Your Domain Names against Theft

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by iWarrior, Dec 25, 2007.

Original Article Posted on TradeDomains.org

Domain name theft is a real threat to domain name owners from around the world. One example is the theft of the domain Sex.com, which lead to legal battles for many years.

As domainers, especially new in this area, we cannot afford these type of legal battles, and surely even less afford to loose a premium domain name.

Here are some tips on securing your domain names.

1. Pick your registrar

When looking for a registrar, ensure that the one you choose are ICANN accredited. This will ensure that your registrar complies with ICANN’s requirements when it has been set up. Note that accreditation is no guarantee against misuse and abuse. Also ensure that your registrar has a great reputation and an excellent customer service.

Make use of Google to lookup comments on registrars on the Internet. Visit domainers or webmasters forums and read posts made on registrars.

Search Yahoo! and Google news to read the latest news on registrars.

In short be sure that you have done enough research on a registrar before making use of them.

2. Registration information

Upon registering your domain name, ensure that you provide true and accurate personal identifiable information. Ensure that you always update your information as and when it changes. This information is needed by the registrar to contact you should the need arise. Also note that many registrars, if they are unable to come into contact with you, will remove your accounts, along with the domain names.

3. Keep your domains locked

Always ensure that your registrar offers this service. You need to keep your domains locked at all times. This ensures that a domain cannot be transferred to another registrar without your knowledge.

4. Keep them double-locked

If you are in possession of high value domains, you might want to contact your registrar and request that additional methods of security be imposes on unlocking domains, for example an authorization code that should be applied when unlocking a domain.

5. Get an EPP Authorization Code

Request an EPP authorization code from your domain registrar. This code is unique to every domain and is provided for the purpose of authenticating transfer requests. This code will give you additional security for your domains.

6. Get Insurance

Look for insurers offering insurance on domain names, in case of misuse or abuse by third parties and you can be compensated for your losses incurred in any such event.

7. Register a Trademark

Register a trademark for your domain. Tip: If your company’s name is CCCNew and your domain name is CCCNEW.COM, get a trademark on CCCNew, so that your brand would have trademark protection. You will receive protection against spoof offenders and cybersquatters. If you can’t trademark your brand, then trademark the domain name itself.

8. Continuous Monitoring

Ensure that you monitor your domain names, the websites and domain name accounts at registrars on a regular basis. Ensure that content has not changed or irregular activities taken place.

Stay up to date with the daily business news of your registrar. You should always be on the lookout for signs of financial trouble, possible liquidation, trends in domain name thefts, etc. This will enable you to take proactive measures in advance and not get stuck in a position where you might stand a chance in losing your assets.

9. Your Own Registrar

If ever you are fortunate enough to end up with one or more Million Dollar premium domain names, it would be wise to invest in registering as a registrar yourself and moving your domains to your own secure setup. This was mentioned by many domainers and some even laughed at this, but for security purposes in million dollar plus investments, this would be worth your while.

If you find this useful, I will appreciate any comments or suggestions you might have.

iWarrior, Dec 25, 2007 IP
  2. bobchrist

bobchrist Active Member

Best Answers:
    I like the idea to get insurance for domain name, but who offer this type of insurance?

bobchrist, Dec 26, 2007 IP
  3. htmlindex

htmlindex Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Nice article there, thanks for sharing with us

htmlindex, Dec 26, 2007 IP
  4. Zerosleep

Zerosleep Established User

Best Answers:
    I got a the same question as bobchrist

Which registrar provides this kindda Insurance?

Zerosleep, Dec 26, 2007 IP
  5. iWarrior

iWarrior Member

Best Answers:
    You would need to contact your broker or insurer directly. The insurer will, if they are prepared to take the risk onto their books, develop an insurance plan.

My insurance company added one domain name to my current portfolio. It increased me monthly insurance by more than double the original premium, but it is worth it.

iWarrior, Dec 26, 2007 IP
  6. Dave Zan

Dave Zan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    None that I know of for now, although DomainTools is exploring this option.

Besides, it won't be necessarily cheap.

Dave Zan, Dec 26, 2007 IP
  7. tobycoke

tobycoke Peon

Best Answers:
    Domain theft insurance would be expensive as it carries a high risk of fraud. It would be relatively easy to pretend that your domain was stolen then try to collect. Don't expect to get insurance on an $8 parked domain. I can see two types of insurance. One to compensate for a lost revenue stream and the other against the value of the domain (as if it was an antique or piece of jewelry). The later would involve the insurer agreeing to a value on the domain before it was stolen. Both cases would likely require a police report and an investigation into the theft by the insurer. I am just imaging walking into a police station to report the loss of a domain..and their reaction. :)

tobycoke, Dec 27, 2007 IP
  8. HostColor

HostColor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think that we cannot talk seriously about domain insurance for now as this must cover and have all the different country laws consolidated, which can be quite hard :). Also, there are so many indirect ways the domain can be stolen that I cannot imagine how you can prove a domain theft. Just think of how many people will start "loosing" their names insured and valued for lets say $100k.
    It will be hard in the future so we better keep our domains the way we do it with our underwear :)

Good Luck!

HostColor, Dec 27, 2007 IP