1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Tips for generating traffic to a site based on personal experiences/stories

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by jnestler, Oct 10, 2010.

I've created a blog that focuses on my personal experiences...kinda like a journal, but I've tried to make it interesting for other people to read.

I'm stumped on how to go about gathering traffic for the blog. A majority of the content is about whitewater kayaking, so it's easy to attract those involved in the sport, but how could I market it to the rest of the world? It's fairly new, but I want to get a head start on establishing it for the future.

The blog is at fluidglass.com, just a glance will give you a sense of the type of content on there.

This is my first foray into a personal type of site, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
    John

jnestler, Oct 10, 2010 IP
  2. arcticsunshine

arcticsunshine Member

Best Answers:
    Joining water sports forums, extreme sports forums? Fluidglass ...nice url. I have some old rock climbing blogs that still make me adsense cash after 4 years. For more traffic...heres a tip, do a "glossary of terms" This type of page makes mega cash on longtail keywords, because the glossary of terms, (white water kayaking sport jargon terms) you tend to get indexed like crazy and the traffic is tight and relevant. You look like you are doing wiki style work. Generate a problems and answers page too. Your first step should be keyword research, to know what you should be writing about. No point supplying if there is no demand.

arcticsunshine, Oct 11, 2010 IP
  3. jnestler

jnestler Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the advice, I'll look into doing a glossary page. I'm trying to stay away from adsense on this site though, possibly going to focus on affiliate links

jnestler, Oct 11, 2010 IP
  4. LasseKohau

LasseKohau Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Jnestler,

what about targeting different keywords, related to your site and niche, fx:

your writing a diary, so keywords as diary, personal diary, my own diary, and keywords for your niche as sports, water sports, fun water sports, enjoy watersports.

Yoiu get the point,

Write articles around these keywords to attract customers.

regards, LASSE

LasseKohau, Oct 11, 2010 IP
  5. northernweb

northernweb Peon

Best Answers:
    I have found a lot of success in guest blog posting. If you can write a good, solid post, a lot of good site owners will publish your content and give you a link back. This is where the power of writing good content comes into play.

Other ways of generating traffic include contributing to forums in a responsible manner.

northernweb, Oct 11, 2010 IP