1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Tip - Random Keyword Rankings

Discussion in 'Keywords' started by subigo, Dec 15, 2005.

I posted this on my site tonight, but I thought it would go over pretty good here as well:

In the past I have noticed that some of my sites are found when people type in some really random keywords in Google. Tonight I started ranking #3 (out of 136,000,000) for the keyword “pleased”. It’s not the most searched for keyword in the world, but it brought me enough traffic today that I noticed.

Like I said, this has happened to me a number of times on other sites. The problem is that these people might be searching for “x-box” and find my philosophy directory. Obviously they won’t stick around too long… so you are getting extra traffic, but it’s pretty much meaningless. But it doesn’t have to be.

If a search engine wants to send you some extra (although poorly targeted) traffic, why let it go to waste? Here is what I do.

Say Google sends traffic to my philosophy site for the keyword “x-box”. Instead of letting this traffic go to waste I create a landing page for these visitors. Let me stress that this is not a made for adsense site (in fact most of the time I don’t even ad adsense). It’s a 1-10 page site that gives some information that is actually useful to the visitor. If the traffic is for “x-box”, I would join an affiliate program that sells the x-box console and games, etc… The visitors find what they are looking for and in return you might make a few sales, everybody wins.

So next time you notice people finding you through irrelevant keywords, stop and think: What would Eric do?

subigo, Dec 15, 2005 IP
  2. INV

INV Peon

Best Answers:
    There is really not much you can do. I am pretty sure you know your options and its your decision. Obviously what we are probably thinking is to cloak the referral to another more targetted page. Which I really dont think is a problem from a realistic point as there is no harm. Although many people are against cloaking in general, but realisticly it would be a wise move. Its your decision though.

INV, Dec 15, 2005 IP