1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Time Period to Rank websitein DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by umairraja52, Feb 2, 2011.

I have a question related to DMOZ directory, if i submit my website in DMOZ directory how much time it will take to appear my website in DMOZ directory, and what are the benefits to appear my website in this directory.

Waiting for real answers.

Thanks

umairraja52, Feb 2, 2011 IP
  2. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Some volunteer will process your listing suggestion in time but we can't predict who or when that might be. Elapsed times can range from a few days to a few years. There is no need to re-suggest your website and doing so could be counter-productive because a later suggestion overwrites any earlier one.

Benefits to you? These days, I don't believe that there are any. It's just another link. Most professional SEOs would agree with me.

jimnoble, Feb 2, 2011 IP
  3. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    umairraja52: I have had sites listed with in 3 weeks and then there are sites which got listed in maximum of 8 months time, there are also some sites which even after several years never got in, sites which did not make it to directoy were submitted in regional category of Pakistan, i guess no editor looks into that category as i hardly ever see a new listing in there.

jimnoble: You are making it sound like as if the link from dmoz is pretty much like a link from a free web directory started yesterday. You and seo professionals you talk off, certainly cannot classify the difference between quality of links. Dmoz, most of the time have your links placed in relevant categories, with nice titles and relevant description and since Dmoz has a lot of authority attached to it, a listing in dmoz can certainly play a role in serps. On a side note, all those Seo Professionals you talk off, give them an opportunity to either place a link in your directory or just a Pr4 or 5 directory published on DP and let me know what they pick!

Jin, Feb 4, 2011 IP
  4. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    Google (Matt Cutts) disagrees and I give him more credence on this subject than third parties with axes to grind (and excuses to offer).

There's a world of difference between professional SEOs and folks who merely call themselves professional SEOs :)

jimnoble, Feb 4, 2011 IP
  5. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yea sure that is why they use your data and made clone of it and had a suggestion up in their pages to submit Urls into ODP and Yahoo directories and please show me where Google said ODP link is garbage or anything. Sure, there is a world of difference between professional seos and fakers, go ahead and provide this opportunity of having a link in odp or any random directory to the seos which you deem Professional!

Jin, Feb 4, 2011 IP
  6. info@mantlo.com

info@mantlo.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Well its been a while since I submitted my site, still pending review. I think it is good to have your site listed there. I do not know the worth of it...but lots of peeps think it is a good idea...

info@mantlo.com, Feb 4, 2011 IP
  7. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    Google haven't said that an ODP link is garbage AFAIAA, they've said it's just a link. Perhaps you haven't heard of Matt Cutts :)

jimnoble, Feb 4, 2011 IP
  8. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Dude are you for real?

Jin, Feb 4, 2011 IP
  9. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    More realistic and up to date than you possibly :).

jimnoble, Feb 5, 2011 IP
  10. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I'd have to agree with Jim on this one.

Matt has claimed the power of the ODP is not what it used to be. Google has removed it's suggestion to submit to the ODP. Google has also gone over a year before updating its clone of the directory. They have also, for the most part, hidden their clone (as in, it's no longer a prime search function of the site like it used to be).

So yeah... the power of DMOZ is certainly NOT what it used to be, and the hype is now solely based on SEO experts vying for 'original content' to power their own sites rather then actually helping yours.

You should still submit, as a link is a link is a link...and that's all the ODP is any more. Though it's real power is now lost in the fall of directories in general and through duplicate content filters. But if you are submitting to directories, then by all means submit to the ODP... it only takes a minute, and the worst that'll happen is you'll loose that minute from your life. The best that could happen is you'll get just one more link.

Qryztufre, Feb 7, 2011 IP
  11. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Jin no offense but, you are always very challenging as if you know better than anyone else.

maldives, Feb 7, 2011 IP
  12. gorvene

gorvene Peon

Best Answers:
    To be honest DMOZ is a wonderful directory that search engines like google will give you a lot of browny points for but it can take a long while to get your site listed. At least, that's my experience anyway.

gorvene, Jun 26, 2011 IP
  13. Nimo.findo

Nimo.findo Peon

Best Answers:
    hi friends can anybody tell me can blogspot blogs can be posted to dmoz or not.

Nimo.findo, Aug 27, 2011 IP
  14. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    If it has significant, useful and unique content yes.
    If it's month old with just a coupla posts from its first week, don't bother :).

jimnoble, Aug 27, 2011 IP
  15. kiosukia

kiosukia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can be proud for that

kiosukia, Sep 25, 2011 IP