1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Thoughts on SPAM entries in directories....

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Tsection, Apr 27, 2005.

Recently, as my directory begins to grow, I have started to get questionable sites being submitted for review, many I have to reject, others I accept where it is borderline.

The difficulty is ascertaining which are acceptable, and which are not. Obviously I don't want to include SPAM or fraudulent sites - but how does one tell? It is very hard, just looking at a website, say for example an online Pharmacy, to know whether they engage in SPAM.

I would be interested to hear from other directory editors in terms of how they deal with this dilemma.

There simply isn't time when you are approving sites to research a submission to perhaps the level that would like to. Do other editors just go on gut instinct, or do you use other tools to determine whether to include a site?

Tsection, Apr 27, 2005 IP
  2. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    All your questions and concerns depend a great deal on what you are trying to acieve with your directory.

yfs1, Apr 27, 2005 IP
  3. Tsection

Tsection Guest

Best Answers:
    Good point. Well, the aim is to build a clean directory with a good ranking - so the people who submit their sites get something out of it.

I guess I don't want bad links to spoil it for others by becoming the next Bluefind.

You would think that if you linked to a spam website, Google might notice. That is the concern.

Tsection, Apr 27, 2005 IP
  4. onestop

onestop Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wait till you start getting hundreds of submissions a day. That's why human review is extremely time consuming. Also it is impossible to keep the directory 100% clean.
    I know many spammers create nice, clean sites, submit them to all directories, and change the site's content. How can you track that? no way.
    your directory looks awesome, and thanks for the fast approval time for my sites.
    good luck
    p.s. eventually your directory will grow, grow, and grow, and you'll stop accepting free submissions :) it's the way.

onestop, Apr 27, 2005 IP
  5. WhatiFind

WhatiFind offline

Best Answers:
    I'm having the same thing with my new directory.
    There are many people submitting 'spam' sites, I intend to keep the directory clean, but also accepting the borderline cases. I've seen sites resubmitted after I rejected those sites.

When I started the site I moved a lot of sites to the correct categories, but now if not submitted to the correct categorie I reject them. At this point I get about 20 new submissions a day and it's growing.

I want to be strict about accepting sites to the directory so it stays clean. I'm not really concerned about a link to a spam site, don't think it really will hurt the site.

WhatiFind, Apr 27, 2005 IP
  6. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Things I take into consideration when considering submissions are things like if the site provides a benefit to the end user. Sites which are just full of search engine results pages, lack good content and/or use unethical seo tactics I delete in an instant. You usually dont have to go too far past the home page to figure it out.

dcristo, Apr 27, 2005 IP
  7. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:
    any site that looks dodgy or contains too many ads are 99% of the time rejected but that is mainly because im aiming at kids & teens dunno if the same rule would reply for a general directory?

just-4-teens, Apr 27, 2005 IP
  8. egdcltd

egdcltd Peon

Best Answers:
    My biggest problem at the moment is with some joker who is using automated submission software. I know he is, because my add link URL was down for several days, yet he managed to submit several sites. His stuff is easy to spot, as it is all essentialy the same:
    Name: JohnDoe
    Category: Internet
    Website title: The best home page
    Description: The homepage of [TITLE]
    Keywords: The best homepage
    If he cannot be bothered to take a bit more time to submit the sites, I cannot be bothered to review his sites, especially as all the earlier stuff I looked at was garbage, and hit me with a virus.

egdcltd, Apr 28, 2005 IP
  9. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Why don't you add one of those 'write the number from the image' validation checks?

T0PS3O, Apr 28, 2005 IP
  10. egdcltd

egdcltd Peon

Best Answers:
    I would love to. Trouble is, I know absolutely nothing about programming cgi based scripts. Heck, I'm not sure how to do it at all in any script. I will have to raise the issue with the programmer.

egdcltd, Apr 28, 2005 IP
  11. stoner3221

stoner3221 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I just recently had to implement image verification. They were nailing me with up to 3,000 submissions a day even with the submissions closed.

stoner3221, Apr 28, 2005 IP
  12. stoner3221

stoner3221 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    After time you will be able to see most of the spam sites without opening them up as well as the one’s that will most likely pull a bait a switch on you.
    We need to get some forums going just for directory owners to help each other out. Spammers run from one directory to the next.

stoner3221, Apr 28, 2005 IP
  13. Ajeet

Ajeet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just brainstorming here, so tell me what you think:

How about if we (directory owners) periodically change the url of the add-URL page? or something of that sort, thereby ensuring that only people who visit the submission page can get through?

Ajeet

Ajeet, Apr 28, 2005 IP
  14. Stin

Stin Guest

Best Answers:
    make sure you change the url of the FORM processing script also

Stin, Apr 28, 2005 IP
  15. Tsection

Tsection Guest

Best Answers:
    What I do is similar to image verification, except it is by email. I email them a code and then they have to enter it back into the website.

Has been working well.... for now, at least.

Tsection, Apr 28, 2005 IP
  16. gford

gford Peon

Best Answers:
    I required people to register, which sends a verification email/url. This is all part of the Mambo CMS systems, saves me the trouble!

gford, Apr 28, 2005 IP
  17. dfsweb

dfsweb Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is not a bad suggestion, if you don't know anything about programming. The problem, of course is that each time you set-up a new web page you lose all the "high rankings" your old page might have for keywords like "submit site", "submit url" et al.

Another solution if you don't know much programming is to set-up "image verification" as suggested by someone else, but just have a static image. Then, point the image's link and edit the submission page manually every day or every other day or whenever you start receiving SPAM. So, all users will get the same image and as soon as you start getting SPAM, change it. A bit cumbersome, but this will work without any programming knowledge.

I also raised these issues when I built my directory. I decided to use email verification to handle this problem. Although it's still a fairly new directory, I haven't had any problems so far.

dfsweb, Apr 30, 2005 IP
  18. hedir

hedir Peon

Best Answers:
    hedir.com now clocking 200 sites submission per day our editors are having a hard time keeping the junk aside. When you have free listing option available then thats what you must learn to live with i guess ;)

hedir, May 2, 2005 IP
  19. gford

gford Peon

Best Answers:
    200+ a day is really good. We are 1/10th that averaging about 20 per day. But we are only 2 months old.

Are you all considering going to a pay-only submission service?

gford, May 2, 2005 IP
  20. NeoGen

NeoGen Writer

Best Answers:
    In addition to spam, the big pain is people not writing properly and not adding to the appropriate categories.

Also, what do you think of submissions made that multiple subdomain of one domain. Though some seems to be genuine, but there are plenty that are simply spams.

NeoGen, May 2, 2005 IP