1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Thoughts on Directory Penlization

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Dave E, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Best Answers:
    minstrel, please go back to the google section if you have nothing to offer here but your critisim. Everything so far is speculation period. You know absolutely nothing more than anyone else here. You continue to spout off your mouth about things you clearly have no clue about. Lets get down to the main facts.

The sites have not been banned period as they are still indexed.

The sites were affected in the serps only.

Several of the bigger sites that were affected are already showing signs of a come back.(Example alive, directorydump, ect.) were not even in the top 100 pages yet now have climbed back to page 7,8,9 ect.

Several of the sites still listed have done the exact same thing mentioned above in all therioes.(you say they have just not been hit yet) Give me a break with this crap, they have done as much if not more promotion as the ones hit.

You say they are not going after smaller sites, yet there is several with no PR no true promotion going on and still were affected.

You continue to say oh this was coming for months, we had all the warning, yet did nothing to prevent it. Yet you fail to realize that promotion is not strickly about google. Myself as well as several other top directory owners promote to provide a quality directory and to get a good ROI. Which means that we are not stupid PR chasers, as you may try and group us in. We are going after providing a quality site(in this case directories) to provide quality content as well as receive a return on investment. You say play by there rules and everything is fine. Google does provide a good amount of quality traffic, but it is not the only resource. That is why we advertise. We advertise for the same reason that best buy, walmart, ect does. To intice buyers to come and purchase something. That is what advertising is about.

Now you tell me this plain and simple, alivedirectory has over 1.5 million back links. BigWebLinks had nearly 1 million. Walmart has 1.2 million. Do you really think that these are links simply to buy PR. Give me a break.

I am glad that everyone is trying to come up with ideas as to why this has happened but to simply sit here and say it was coming. Please.

Do you really think that 1.2 million people simply linked to walmart for the heck of it. No. They have advertisements all over just as we do. Also this has affected several more sites besides just directories that have not even purchased links. Several that have a few hundred natural links.

And as for try playing by the rules, show me.

Here is a quote taken directory from the google help page.
    Now lets look at all these.

#1. That is what we do.
    #2. No tricks used.
    #3. There are no link schemes in most of these sites that got the boot. And as you can see, these sites are going to continue to do what we are doing now to promote our site whether there was a search engine or not. With out true promotion there would never be any visitors period.
    #4. No programs used.

Guardian, Sep 9, 2007 IP
    compostannie and MeetHere like this.
  2. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I don't think it's hard to figure that one out, just nobody wants to say it. ;)

Blogmaster, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  3. Lexiseek

Lexiseek Banned

Best Answers:
    I agree. I'd say it's almost painfully obvious what all the sites have in common.

I think some people are still waiting for the official confirmation from Google, which is never coming.

Lexiseek, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  4. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Best Answers:
    Since it is so obvious please tell me what happened then and why.

Guardian, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  5. Lexiseek

Lexiseek Banned

Best Answers:
    It's not my job, pal: I'm tired of getting personally attacked on this forum. It will all come out eventually, anyways.

Lexiseek, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  6. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Best Answers:
    No one is attacking you, but I am asking a question. Since it is so obivous to you what happened please let me know.

Guardian, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  7. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    What is also pretty obvious is that the bigger players in the directory business are very quiet right now and wouldn't want to be caught dead posting. Most of them are on my msn messenger friends list and "Let's just wait and see" is the main response I've gotten to questions regarding this penalty. Maybe it's time for us all to take this advice and let things ride. How long will a penalty like this last?
    Not quite sure but when Google penalized a lot of real estate websites for excessive link exchanging, it lasted between 1 and 2 1/2 months til all the sites came back.

Guardian, the question is not really what happened, but whether or not you're receptive enough to hear it. :)

Mike

8. deebee

deebee Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm being thick here - please tell me what the painfully obvious is; I'd love to know.

deebee, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  9. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am very recepitive. I am open to all suggestions, just simply getting tired of everyone sitting here and bashing all the directories and owners alike that were not here for months period.

I am on messenger now and would love to hear your thoughts.

Guardian, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  10. jminscoe

jminscoe Peon

Best Answers:
    Its painfully obvious what all the sites have in common they promote the heck out of thier sites

jminscoe, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  11. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Best Answers:
    While that is very true in most cases, there are several smaller sites that got hit that do not.

Guardian, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  12. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Saddam Hussein and all Dictators never spoke when the country was going down the drain only the foot soldiers and the lieutenants are there. That is simple Mike go out and fight then you will be rewarded in the end.

popotalk, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  13. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    I've added you, but you show as being offline.

14. pctec

pctec Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So you are damned if you do and damned if you don't...

pctec, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  15. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    They were not Dictators ,they were just ruthless corrupt idiotic rulers.

Freewebspace, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  16. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    And now apply that in what is happening these days, Thanks. ;)

popotalk, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  17. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, lets.

Care to show me where I mentioned a ban?

That's called a penalty, which I believe is what we're discussing.

Maybe. Maybe not. Let's let the dust settle on that one, okay? I don't think Google's finished with them yet. The original actions had the earmarks of a manual penalty but you can expect Google to do their best to translate that into an algorithmic solution - and while they do that the sites may bounce around a bit.

Re-read what I've said. If indeed these were manual penalties, Google wouldn't try to get them all - it's an interim solution. What they'd do is hit the most blatant and/or biggest examples.

I didn't say anything about size. I was talking about human resources for manual penalties amd the strategy of hitting some as a shot across the bows for the rest.

Fine. If you're not interested in Google traffic, why are you even in this thread? Why do you care about any of this? You know what you said there is bullshit. We all do. You want Google traffic. You're just angry because you stand to lose it. And you and your buddies have had ample warnings, if any of you had bothered to read them - or maybe you just thought you were smarter than Google?

Correct. And Google has said very clearly that they don't have an issue with that. However, they do have an issue with "advertisements" passing PageRank. And they've also stated quite clearly and repeatedly that they are going to nullify the ability of paid links to pass PR. What do you think the directory listings in question are? Paid links. Don't care about boosting your PR? Want to buy those directory links purely for traffic? Google has no problem with that.

Question: How much traffic do you get from those directories? I mean apart from other webmasters and directory owners? How much do you benefit finanically from any traffic you get from those directory links?

Do I think Walmart has to buy links? No. Do I think these big directories have been buying links? Oh yeah. Some have already admitted that.

There's also the issue of the massive interlinking between directories desigtned to boost PR - that of course is something else Google has taken action to nullify in the past and is doing again.

It's a fact. It was coming and you had notice, if you weren't too busy counting your money and patting yourselves on the back to read it.

Again, (1) we're not talking about Walmart and (2) you keep confusing advertising with PageRank building. Not the same thing at all.

#4 is irrelevant. But "no tricks"? "no link schemes"? Please. Take a second look and try to figure out exactly where those rules were bltantly broken. It's hardly rocket science. And as for building directories for visitors, who the hell visits them except webmasters trying to buy PR?

Don't insult my intelligence. I get that you're angry that your cash cow has dried up but you should have seen it coming and if you didn't you need to find another career.

minstrel, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  18. deebee

deebee Active Member

Best Answers:
    @minstrel

Just to clarify, as your insight into the inner workings of Google is far greater than mine, please quote verbatim from a Google site why these 60+ directories have been penalised.

No interpretation please, just the quote will do.

deebee, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  19. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    You might as well call it a ban if a site doesn't even rank for its own name.

20. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    A ban is much more severe than a penalty and we don't even know it is a penalty.

jg123, Sep 9, 2007 IP