1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Thoughts on Directory Penlization

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Dave E, Sep 8, 2007.

Dave E, Sep 8, 2007 IP
    LanceT22 likes this.
  2. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I hate to be the one spoiling your thread, but my last post titled Fuck you, Google says what I feel.
    I am happy for those who do well in the industry as long as it's deserved. But Frog Engine has been penalized. Not just www.frogengine.com/search
    but the whole domain name www.frogengine.com including my blog.
    So what we see now is a lot of showing off by Google using certain sites to make an example of. I personally don't care if they ban my directory, penalize it or whatever. The main reason that people purchase links is to fool Google. It's not the only reason (my directory gets still 2.5k uniques a day without Google), but the main reason.

Danny Sullivan himself posted about the directory section on DP, and it's pretty obvious that all the directories penalized are being promoted here.

So what do I think about it?

I think that people should stop worrying about Google and do what they would do if Google didn't exists, which is build a good site that those who come to will like using and recommending to their friends.

Blogmaster, Sep 8, 2007 IP
    pipes, britishguy and LanceT22 like this.
  3. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Great to see you back Dave. :)

The repentance proved ok. Alleluia ! Allah Akhbat! Mabuhay! Welcome to the Jungle!:D

See all the latest links and cached it and you will know.;)

popotalk, Sep 8, 2007 IP
  4. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Read the article and it seems good and straight to the point. That is one thing I have never done is purchased paid links. I had brought a few directory listings in the past, but that was only for advertising purposes, which didn't actually bring any traffic so I have never purchased advertising from them again. When it comes to earning a living online, I prefer to purchase advertising for the traffic and not PR or search engine ranking gains due to my miss-fortunes with Google just under 2 years ago.

john269, Sep 8, 2007 IP
  5. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I still find it very hard to believe that gooogle will penalize websites based on what they 'think' they are doing. Where is the cut-off point? The whole thing seems a bit flakey and if these sites were in such serious breach of gooogle terms then why does google not completely de-index them and make a public statement?

I still see directories on page one for 'web directory' that buy links and also ones that blatantly sell them, MaxLinks have 46 home page links and a links to purchase right there. Why would these not be affected?

jg123, Sep 8, 2007 IP
  6. Dave E

Dave E Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
  7. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    As I have stated before, it is not a coincidence that Danny Sullivan has spoken about the directory section on Digitalpoint. Every Directory that has been penalized has been highly promoted on DP. Just liek a couple of months ago Matt met with Greg Boser and took his advice to ban a lot of real estate sites (read), Google has once again managed to let questionable individuals like Greg point them into a directory leading them to go overboard and lash out. I thought Google was a lot more competent, but I guess this is 2007 and they surrender to the spammers. Never thought I would say that, but I am disappointed with Google. What once was an innovation has been sold out. Sergej and Larry, I met both of you guys and had a great time. But for some reason you two love to be brownnosed by those taking full advantage of what you have created.

What is going on at the Plex?

8. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There has been lots of talk about other sites, blogs, etc... being affected too, so I still am not convinced it is simply google hunting down paid links. I wonder if these sites maybe have something else in common?

jg123, Sep 8, 2007 IP
  9. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
  10. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Google pretty much admits that they have been beaten by spammers and have no other solution that latch out to the masses whether or not they have caused the problem or not.

11. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Uh-huh... If you had done all that to begin with, you wouldn't be looking at a penalty now, would you? :rolleyes:

Lots of rhetoric but what it really means is Google caught you breaking the rules again. It's not like you didn't have plenty of warning. But you chose to push ahead trying to make as much money as you could before they caught up with you.

And now you pay the price...

And to say that you don't care about Google or the traffic Google could deliver is just total BS - you know it, we all know it. You wouldn't even be posting here if that were true.

If you think he's the only one bringing all those DP threads to Google's attention, you just haven't been paying attention. You and your buddies have been pushing paid link-farm directories and bidding directories all over the place. Did you really think Google wouldn't notice? :rolleyes:

Correction: Google didn't surrender to the spammers. Google penalized the spammers.

Yeah, I'm sure they remember you... :rolleyes:

Wasn't that why YOU were there?

They're on to you and your buddies. That's what's going on.

minstrel, Sep 8, 2007 IP
  12. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    hahah there goes the voice that could put anyone to sleep. Seriously, Minstrel. Nobody with anything to do in life would spend time listening to you. Whether you have a point here and there or not, your attempt to become famous thru the internet will not work. You have yet to create something on your own, other than sucking up to Google and repeat whatever you think Google stands for :rolleyes:

Go have some pride in yourself for once and make a good post for a change.

13. LakeCountry

LakeCountry Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would like to know what rules you believe were broken.

LakeCountry, Sep 8, 2007 IP
  14. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Minstrel is an ass kisser trying to look like a Google representative. Paying no attention to him is the only way for any Digitalpoint user to keep his/her sanity and focus.

15. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I just did.

Your sites were penalized.

Mine weren't.

Why do you think that is, Blobmaster?

Buying and selling links. Heavy interlinking with buddies to artifically inflate the PR of directories. Going for the buck with no eye on quality control. Bidding directories. That'll do for a start.

You and your buddies WERE the spammers. Google didn't "latch" (sic) out at innocents. They lashed out at people like you who were blatantly trying to game Google rankings. And now you're bitching because they're on to your game.

Do the crime, do the time - and quit whining about it and blaming others.

minstrel, Sep 8, 2007 IP
  16. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Well, since you are now the official Google spokesperson on Digitalpoint, you can tell me, so all of us will know what the Plex is really up to.

*All ears* .....

Added: Of course, there won't be a reply, since hot air doesn't travel far enough.

17. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Minstrel, please stop editing your posts after someone has responded to them. It's very low class trying to make someone say something else than he has actually said by falsifying your original statement thru late editing.

18. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Can EINSTEIN please join this thread to take it to another level

The name "Einstein" has become synonymous with genius :cool:

Which/Where is the genius who can tell us exactly what happened ?

No one to date its all pure speculation and claptrap so far ;)

britishguy, Sep 8, 2007 IP
    deebee likes this.
  19. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    and now you just reported my post Menstrual. For what? Are you that much of a pussy?

20. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Sorry, Blobmaster. I know you don't actually read more than three words at a time but nothing was changed. Had you actually read anything, you'd know that I added additional replies to other points in other posts. That's what DP prefers members do rather than running up post counts by creating additional posts.

Besides, since you didn't actually read the post or respond to anything I said other than with adolescent insults, I don't understand the basis for your complaint.

minstrel, Sep 8, 2007 IP