1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Those 3 PHP questions

Discussion in 'PHP' started by theextelligence, Sep 3, 2012.

Hi PHP Gurus,

I have a question for you all. If you are asked to interview a candidate with 5 years of experience in PHP and you are allowed to ask only 3 theoretical questions and based on the answers of those 3 questions you have to select / reject the candidate. What would be those 3 questions?

Thanks & Regards

PS: Mods, if this is not the correct section pls move this thread to the appropriate one.

theextelligence, Sep 3, 2012 IP
  2. Alex Roxon

Alex Roxon Active Member

Best Answers:
    1. I would ask them to explain the principles of MVC (should separate the men from the boys).
    2. Perhaps as a follow on question ask them their favourite MVC framework (and ask to explain why).
    3. Ask them to talk about some PHP best practices.

Alex Roxon, Sep 3, 2012 IP
  3. theextelligence

theextelligence Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Alex.

I like the 3rd question of yours. The 1st and 2nd one are very obvious type questions and are commonly asked in the interviews.

theextelligence, Sep 3, 2012 IP
  4. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    A better question would be when a MVC should be used. We seem to live in a day and age where we believe Frameworks help us write shorter more efficient code. However I would rather write 25 lines of PHP code as appose to 20 lines of setting up the framework that comes with 20,000 lines of fluff.

NetStar, Sep 4, 2012 IP
  5. lolpasslol

lolpasslol Peon

Best Answers:
    You never know what the questions might be but you need to be get prepared about the facts that anything can be asked. Be prepared.

lolpasslol, Sep 4, 2012 IP
  6. ratan1980

ratan1980 Member

Best Answers:
    i would ask them 1) what are associative arrays? 2) i would ask them about CURL library?3) how to put the safe mode off in php?

ratan1980, Sep 5, 2012 IP
  7. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What's their job going to be?

Secondly, I would never hire or even consider someone based only on any number of arbitrary questions. Get coding examples, references, actual projects they have worked on and what their role was, etc.

jestep, Sep 6, 2012 IP
  8. greyinfotech

greyinfotech Peon

Best Answers:
    I used to ask a following question with programmers

what is a different between a string encapsulated in single quotes and in double quotes

and believe me many five year experienced people do not know about this.

Rest and SOAP Web Services / localization / MVC / Query optimization / Clustered Website, are good options

If candidate claims to work on any famous framework like cakePHP , Zend, Wordpress etc. Questions should be asked accordingly.

greyinfotech, Sep 18, 2012 IP
  9. plussy

plussy Peon

Best Answers:
    You could also ask about unit testing and design patters (singleton, factory etc)

plussy, Sep 18, 2012 IP
  10. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think these would be very important at least conceptually in an interview situation.

It's conceivable that someone doesn't have a ton of experience specifically with something like MVC, but they should have an understanding of why it's used and the pros and cons of using it. Unit testing is going to weed out a ton of developers, as is discussing version control like subversion or git. However, version control wouldn't be a deal breaker by itself IMO, since it's quite possible that they haven't worked on projects with many other developers.

The reason I originally asked, what's their job going to be, is that there is no way to make relevant questions unless you know what sort of programming or supervisory position this is going to be. There would be a significantly different set of questions based on what position they are actually being hired for.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
    jestep, Sep 18, 2012 IP
  11. pxranger

pxranger Peon

Best Answers:
    1. MVC questions.
    2. Explain OOP and how it's used in PHP.
    3. Best practices.

Probably some overlap there, but I think that covers most of the important stuff.

pxranger, Sep 20, 2012 IP