1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

This is why you people make a mockery of writers

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Tom Alex, Feb 29, 2008.

1. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    They're not as tough to find as a lot of writers here think... it just takes time and persistence (but it's worth it). :)

jhmattern, Mar 5, 2008 IP
  2. rayaan

rayaan Peon

Best Answers:
    I had someone ask me to write an 800 word sample just a few days back, although I found that guy on Craigslist. I know he advertised here too, so it could be the same guy. We were on IM, and as soon as he said the "sample" was not going to be paid for, I closed the window and deleted him from my IM list. A day later, I see him here.

I've met great clients here on DP. I don't think someone who looks for work here is a fool, I 've had too many good experiences to make a statement like that. But I must say, the overall quality of offers at the Content Creation section seems to have diminished somewhat. :D

rayaan, Mar 5, 2008 IP
  3. vjlenin

vjlenin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Indeed, the rudeness shown to you , particularly since you are a professionally known writer, Vannalli, is intolerable. I never try finding work in DP. This is the paradise of people who write 2000 words for no cash, and will take up jobs like 300 words for 1 dollar and so on. I recently had a gig that was asking to submit 600 words for 1.5 dollars. I just told the person I cant take such things up at all. My decent articles now cost 40 dollars for 400 words. I can market anyway more than 10-20 dollars for a decent writing. so, I never need to find work here. People have different opinions of different things right? another lady was giving me work that paid 3 dollar for 10 articles, and she says almost 30 American writers with high calibre are writing great content for her at that kind of money. And she showed me some blogs and websites, and there: No great content whatsoever. She has a third rate website with three articles and two or three blogs linked from that all with one or two articles, and nothing more.

When you say a product sucks and you like it, I naturally tend to think you are reviewing the latest Dyson vacuum cleaner. Be natural, find great work in places where you get that, and dont let yourself down by taking low moral gigs.

vjlenin, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  4. 1associate

1associate Peon

Best Answers:
    I've answered a few enquiries for writers here but once I've suggested my price they never get back - I assume these are what are called "first tier" in the post above.

Granted there are overseas writers who find -$5/-£2 worthwhile due to different cost of living and survival tactics. Nevertheless, I think there is a point to be made about the devaluation of writing skills and that the original poster of this thread has been given an overly zealous roasting. I supported the US script writers strike and any writers who offered their services cut price in that situation I'd have happily called scabs. Also, 800 words free of charge suggests a scam to me. Surely a couple of sentences and past articles illustrate the quality of writing talent.

Whatever, the original post was at least coherent, food for thought and provoked a few answers worth reading. I found those written from high horses the most amusing.

1associate, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  5. alemcherry

alemcherry Guest

Best Answers:
    If you have made some good contacts and good money from this forum, why are you taking one bad experience so seriously? I wont even call that a bad experience, nobody cheated you or anything.

Frankly, I suspect the first statement quoted.

alemcherry, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  6. snarke

snarke Peon

Best Answers:
    As you can tell by my post count I'm still new on this forum, but so far my experience here has been a positive one. That said, I do know how frustrating it can be when you feel like a client is trying to take you for a ride and then gets mad when you aren't that gullible. Remember, Vanalli was originally angry that the potential client was rude to after asking for something that was unreasonable. Anybody would probably need to vent after that situation.

We've all hit send and then thought "oh crap" at least a couple of times in our lives, right? :)

snarke, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  7. Tom Alex

Tom Alex Active Member

Best Answers:
    Suspect it all you want. I'll email you a screenshot from my Paypal account if you're questioning my honesty. I took a bad experience the way I did because someone whom I mistakenly took seriously suggested that I was wasting his time by refusing to write for free. It made me angry and I sounded off about it. That's all there is to it. It was just the lack of professionalism that surprised me. But, saying that, it was really my mistake.

Tom Alex, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  8. Jackuul

Jackuul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If it is any consolidation I have fantasies about human vivisection sometimes when I am in similar circumstances. Sometimes I vividly describe what I would do and use it for my story-writing in roleplays. Other times I just delete them when I finish.

Jackuul, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  9. digitaldan1979

digitaldan1979 Peon

Best Answers:
    exactly my thoughts, its horrendous

digitaldan1979, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  10. webgal

webgal Peon

Best Answers:
    vanalli- I've gotten some good clients from this forum. And I've had inquiries about writing for pennies, too. Just put your rate in the PM and they'll magically go away because those are not the clients you want anyway. I'm sorry you had such a rank experience. Just move on. You can't force quality on people who don't appreciate it.

webgal, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  11. SEOLinker

SEOLinker Banned

Best Answers:
    webgal, I've had some clients who say (after my PM/proposal/quote) that they can pay only 75% of my price. They probably have some magic resistance ball:)

SEOLinker, Mar 8, 2008 IP
  12. hyperionxl

hyperionxl Banned

Best Answers:
    Vanalli

I would never write that much for free. I offer free samples of 200 words on topics I haven't written about because they take 10 minutes but might lead to a 50 dollar job. That guy was a fool to think he'd get a free article.

I see you are writing in Thailand! Me too! Bangkok? I travel between BKK and Hua Hin while writing.

hyperion

hyperionxl, Mar 8, 2008 IP
  13. Tom Alex

Tom Alex Active Member

Best Answers:
    I work for a newspaper down south and freelance in Bangkok, Phuket, etc. Drop me a line some time.

Tom Alex, Mar 9, 2008 IP
  14. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Based on your initial post, it sounds like the 800 word freebie was part of the listed requirements. If that was the case, why even bother applying if you are unwilling to meet the stated requirements? Did you also plan to negotiate the price upwards?

You were wasting his time as well as yours.

There's nothing to be gained by 'bidding' on work when it's obvious from the start that they will be paying far less than you are willing to take. Anyone asking for Y articles for $x and an 800 word freebie is not likely someone you will be able to later ask for an increase in price based on credentials or previous quality work. My suspicion is that he will never actually hire anyone and simply keep the freebies.

YMC, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  15. Tom Alex

Tom Alex Active Member

Best Answers:
    You're arguing on the basis that all offers are set in stone. And you overlook the fact that he actually raised his initial offer, which suggests that some sort of negotiation is acceptable.

Tom Alex, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  16. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not arguing at all. From your post, you were unwilling to provide the freebie (agree 100% with that) and not liking the price. Why work for someone who is obviously going to resent what they are paying you before you even deliver the first piece?

There's no question his behavior was out of line.

YMC, Mar 12, 2008 IP