1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

This is why you people make a mockery of writers

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Tom Alex, Feb 29, 2008.

There was a guy who was looking to hire a writer. He advertised on this forum and was offering $X for Y articles. I sent this guy details about my experience (I work full time for a newspaper, freelance for magazines, write for half-a-dozen websites, etc.) and I told him that I would be interested to negotiate a deal for some quality work. I have a press card and a lot of experience.

At one point during my message, I wrote, "I'm not keen on writing an 800-word sample for free." This is what any serious writer would say. No-one with any sense would write 800 words for free.

His response was, "^^ then go away and dont waste time :mad:"

That was the whole reply.

That will be the last time I offer my services on this forum. Period. You guys are making fools of writers and pulling down the cost of professional services.

It's not on.

Tom Alex, Feb 29, 2008 IP
  2. cianuro

cianuro Peon

Best Answers:
    With all due respect, if you are a decent writer and are looking for work on this forum, you are a fool.

cianuro, Feb 29, 2008 IP
  3. Tom Alex

Tom Alex Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wrong. I've made some good contacts who have paid a lot of money.

4. failureblogger

failureblogger Peon

Best Answers:
    Its something that you call LIFE.

I reccomend you start a blog in your area of passion as a part time hobby while you do the other writing projects that you have since you are good at writing.

I wish I was good at writing. Then maybe my blogging skills wont be so weak.

failureblogger, Feb 29, 2008 IP
  5. Tom Alex

Tom Alex Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm. I do have a blog. However, I sometimes look through forums to pick up other work I can do in the evenings. That's why I look through here sometimes. I'm always looking to make decent contacts who own websites and need content. Yes, it's life, but it's insulting to get a reply like I did. I wasn't expecting it, hence the rant. Perhaps it was my mistake to take this forum seriously.

6. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Vanalli... don't come in here insulting all writers on the forum just because you had a bad experience. Are there a lot of low-rate writers here? Yes. Are there a lot of new writers here? Yes. While I don't condone writing free samples, that may be perfectly acceptable to some writers here.

Others here are highly professional, and earn quite a bit of money, because they know how to find quality writing work on DP... newsflash: if you're answering the ads, you probably don't know enough about getting decent Web writing gigs on a forum to be doing that here yet. So take a step back. You're as much at fault as anyone. Learn how the community works in relation to what you want before making assumptions (several of us here have very openly told people how to get the high-budget gigs). Your experience may be impressive, but it doesn't mean that you're a good fit for the needs the clients you're targeting. Target other groups, and you'll have far better results.

While I've said it here multiple times, they key to good gigs from DP is not the marketplace. It's about specialization and building your reputation by posting intelligently here on that subject matter. The best gigs come privately and from referrals when people realize they like what you have to say. Take it as a lesson learned, and try again... but don't insult other writers because of your bad luck.

jhmattern, Feb 29, 2008 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.
  7. tke71709

tke71709 Peon

Best Answers:
    So therefore one guy pisses you off and you'll never use the board again?

Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.

tke71709, Feb 29, 2008 IP
  8. Tom Alex

Tom Alex Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, you're probably right. Lesson learned. But I was having a go at people hiring writers, not the writers themselves.

Actually you're totally right. I drew too many parallels between writing off the web and writing on it and I expected the two to be more or less the same.

However, to be told I was wasting someone's time by preferring to offer samples rather than write 800 words really took me by surprise.

As I said, lesson learned. I'll stick to what I know best.

Apologies for being all riled up as I woke up this morning.

9. Tom Alex

Tom Alex Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, all right. Fair comment.

Ah f--- it. It was a dumb thing to post, I'd just woken up and was on my way out to work and I felt a little annoyed. Sorry. Just me being a jackass yeah. Anyway, I'm at work now and will let this drop.

10. FHI

FHI Guest

Best Answers:
    I have always paid for everything on this forum prior to receiving my product. Some of the writers on this forum have talent in every price range. On the flip side there are crappy writers in every price range.

The other night I paid for an article that ended up containing stolen content and PayPal would not refund my purchase since the product was delivered. If buyers pay for content unseen they are at risk. At the other end the writers are at a loss if they provide it and never get paid. Somewhere there must be a happy medium?

FHI, Feb 29, 2008 IP
  11. AON21

AON21 Active Member

Best Answers:
    A possible way to get past this, would be a screen capture of the text with a clear watermark.

While it's always going to be possible for someone to bypass this, my experience is that cheapskates are inherently lazy so if you show them an image of the 800 words, they won't sit there and type it up.

For a little more of a deterrent, I believe there is a cheap or even free gallery script that is written in flash that you can upload to a standard hosting service (makes note to search through faves folder) - this adds the benefit that they can vew the screen capture, but can't easily download and steal the content later because it's a pain to copy from Flash apps, plus you can limit the time it's up there.

Obviously anything like this can be bypassed, but it's like one of those club-locks for cars - they won't stop a professional, but when there is a choice between identical cars where one has one and one without? They will go for the easier target....

Just a suggestion when looking for new clients.

AON21, Feb 29, 2008 IP
  12. Oosha

Oosha Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This forum is as bad or as good as any other. I know how annoying it can be to come across people who expect writers to bend over backwards, but it is only a small group of people.

Most clients are appreciative of the effort that goes into writing and pay for samples written specifically for them.

It takes all kinds.... Ignore them and move on.

Oosha, Feb 29, 2008 IP
  13. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    You think that's bad, vanalli, you should hang out over at the marketing board, if you haven't already. There are posters who don't want to work to get visitors. They want everything free, and on a silver platter. You give them, say, 20 free tips, they will want more, without even working those tips!

All you can do is to ignore them, and keep going.

But knowing they won't make it and will be stuck at their day job is enough to put a smile on both our faces.

Perry Rose, Mar 1, 2008 IP
  14. eFYI

eFYI Peon

Best Answers:
    Some people's rudeness is quite shocking and our natural response it to be rude back.

I sympathize with you Vanalli, but remember once you hit the send button your statement is up for the world to see. Try proofreading before you send to slow down your impulses.(hope I spelled your name correctly:D)

Thanks for the apology.

eFYI, Mar 1, 2008 IP
  15. chant

chant Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Everyone, don't be too hard on vanalli. Have you stuck your head inside the content creation forum lately? It looks like a race to the bottom most of the time. Now we have "employers" asking for 800 word free samples. How long before we see a job posting asking the writer to PAY for the privilege of writing for the employer?

Another pet peeve are all the employers that are quick on listing all of the requirements that they demand in a writer and then don't have the courage to put up what they will pay for the job. Every one of those people want it as cheap as they can get. They can go take a walk off a short pier too.

chant, Mar 1, 2008 IP
  16. Jackuul

Jackuul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I can sum up every feeling and thought I have had as a writer over the past year (well, nearly a year) after busting myself trying to write things, having burnouts, and also an occasional non payment in one single very expressive word.

Meh.

My only advice?
    Just keep on truckin'.

Jackuul, Mar 1, 2008 IP
  17. Seasidewriter

Seasidewriter Peon

Best Answers:
    I still feel like such a newb, but I can say that one thing I have determined since joining DP is that we can do whatever we choose or choose not to do here.

If you don’t want to write an 800 word sample for free, then don’t do it. If you want to write a 500 word article for $5.00, then do it.

It is all about free will and choices.

Seasidewriter, Mar 2, 2008 IP
  18. vgal

vgal Active Member

Best Answers:
    I understand your frustration, but do keep in mind that that is only one person. There are many people who are only just beginning to write online, or new to the board. They are obviously going to be more willing to do such a sample (and hope they check rep and Itrader before doing so!). Another thing is there are many here in other countries who can write for very low.

There are good people, good writers, and exceptional clients here. You just have to weed out the bad and as time goes on your reputation will bring you more and better work.

vgal, Mar 2, 2008 IP
  19. Seshat

Seshat Member

Best Answers:
    Vanalli, his rudeness saved you later grief. Imagine how s/he would have been as a client if you or anyone else had done the free sample. I suspect, s/he would have constantly wanted more for less or completely free.

As someone who bought writing services here, I was perfectly happy to receive whatever sample the writer sent. If the sample didn't include something I was looking for, I asked if there was another sample covering that area and then made a decision.

Seshat, Mar 4, 2008 IP
  20. jeeplaw

jeeplaw Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Here's a view from the inside out- there are several markets at play here at DP. You've got the first tier market which wants pennies for 400+ words. And you'll find a lot of overseas writers here willing to work for that much (less?) money. Your next market up will pay a "better" price, and so on and so forth. At the top are the clients who understand what it takes to create offline markteing materials, press releases and sales pitches. They are tough to find, but they are here. Sounds like you ran into someone from the lower tier.

David

jeeplaw, Mar 5, 2008 IP