1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

This is how to rank well in Yahoo....

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by Brad Callen, Mar 2, 2006.

1. AtoZNetVentures

AtoZNetVentures Peon

Best Answers:
    Guys, when you say RSS feeds help, do you mean I need to create my own RSS that other people can use on their sites or just use someone else's RSS feed to add content to my site?

Yahoo! is really bugging me. I have a site that is about 1 yr old and it's performance in Yahoo is dismal. MSN positions are of course a heck of a lot better and it is too early maybe to talk about Google positions although I get some referrals for more unique searches.

Cheers

AtoZNetVentures, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  2. authoritydomains.com

authoritydomains.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Rakky, this could just be natural flux but you need to be building links even if you site is number one. Having a really old site is great and will give you an edge. You prob. just need to do a small scale link building camp. to get you back...or like I was saying it could just be natural flux of search engines...either way you need to protect your rankings by getting good links. PM me if you need any help.

PS. PR thanks for PageRank its a Google term for sites just Google that a bit and you will see what its all about but don’t get too caught up on its...its not all that important what’s important is rankings and not PR.

authoritydomains.com, Apr 11, 2006 IP
  3. CCD

CCD Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the tips - I can get MSN ranks easily enough (who can't!?) and Google gives reasonable traffic given my sites are fairly new and link-limited, but Yahoo mostly eludes me at present.

I did get my first site to rank well for a good selection of regional searches, but recently, with my new sites I can't seem get any Yahoo rankings at all...

CCD, Apr 17, 2006 IP
  4. genkied

genkied Active Member

Best Answers:

i agree to your post because our website have 8 keywords already number 1 in yahoo just doing the same procedure for 3 months...

genkied, Apr 22, 2006 IP
  5. Navytortise

Navytortise Peon

Best Answers:
    wowow.. Great to found this out... i'm gonna try it very soon...:D
    Thanks!

Navytortise, Apr 29, 2006 IP
  6. phpglobe

phpglobe Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe i need to get the RSS feed for my this website phpglobe.com
    But I wonder what I can have in RSS as this is a simple php forum

phpglobe, Apr 29, 2006 IP
  7. cleanairguy

cleanairguy Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with Brad that RSS articles and content help with yahoo. Our site has two writers who write Press releases, a weekly RSS news feed article, and add content to our site all the time. We rank 1-3 for 20 or more yahoo and msn keywords but can't get top 20 on google because we're not DMOZ listed (over 100 DMOZ listed sites in our category) For some phrases we're number 1 for yahoo and msn and many others but not in the top 100 for google. Yet the DMOZ people say that a DMOZ listing doesn't make or break a site, what a crock. But back to yahoo, we're not in their directory right now. Should we continue to simply write content and get articles listed and not worry about their directory or will a directory help? We don't care about the $300, just don't want to waste money.

cleanairguy, May 1, 2006 IP
  8. Web Gazelle

Web Gazelle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If your doing well in Yahoo SERPs why spend $300 in their directory that is a fee you pay out on a yearly basis. Save $250 and list your site in MSB Central.

Web Gazelle, May 2, 2006 IP
  9. cleanairguy

cleanairguy Peon

Best Answers:
    I added our site to MSN. My wife is the SEO arm of our company. She seems to think that DMOZ is the only directory that matters to google since google uses their data for the google directory, so she didn't bother to add us to other directories. I don't mind spending $300 on that directory, we spend over $3000 a month advertising so I don't see the big deal. I'm just starting to research SEO stuff myself ...mostly by reading this website. I'm going to add us to as many directories as I can, since I'm the money spending and money making arm of our company, lol. Mike

cleanairguy, May 2, 2006 IP
  10. Web Gazelle

Best Answers:
    There are plenty of free ones and plenty of good quality paid ones but I personally don't think Yahoo is worth $300. Try Site Sift web directory for a good paid directory. Building up your back links is a good way to improve rankings in all of the SEs.

Web Gazelle, May 2, 2006 IP
  11. cleanairguy

cleanairguy Peon

Best Answers:
    We pre-paid 1 year on several major university websites (some .edu) which cost us a couple grand but gave us around 300K back links that have made our site rank very well with yahoo and msn already. We also write a weekly RSS newsletter and tell our customers (have over 10K over the last 4 years) to subscribe to it...and they do. We also put out free PR's on a regular basis to create back links. We don't do the link exchange thing, my wife seems to think it's a waste of time since we advertise so much and already have so much traffic. She did put our site in all of the free directories and a number of the $10 or so directories she says, I'll ask her about the one you mentioned. She also thinks Yahoo is a waste of money and she's obsessed with DMOZ, read something in the latest google patent (yes, she spend hours reading boring stuff like that) that made her think if we're not in DMOZ, we're not going to rank in google. Personally, I don't care as much as she does because we're already first page on all of the keywords that bring us money via PPC, and I'll admit, I'm not a cheap trick...I don't mind paying...and we make so much business off of those PPC campaigns that even if we did get an organic listing or two I wouldn't quit them to be honest. Besides, yahoo and msn bring us half our our business right now and it's all organic, and PPC works, I'm not sure how much traffic the organic listings would bring us on google for our commercial product. Seems to me people who buy stuff don't mind clicking on the paid links on google, at least with our product, because google seems to list a ton of old, well established sites on the first page that don't have the best deal. They see our link on the right of the first page with the best deal and they click on it and 5-7% or so buy. Bottom line, yahoo has been good to us so I don't mind throwing a few bucks their way. Thanks for your input just the same. Mike

cleanairguy, May 2, 2006 IP
  12. frenchmen77

frenchmen77 Peon

Best Answers:
    nice post =) good info

frenchmen77, May 2, 2006 IP
  13. dsm56

dsm56 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Does anyone know how to get more pages indexed in msn and yahoo? Ive got 110k indexed in google but only 300 in msn and yahoo? What can improve that?

dsm56, May 6, 2006 IP
  14. seojunkie

seojunkie Banned

Best Answers:
    Brad,

Do you think RSS feeds are still helping in Yahoo? I know they have removed those related links from their search.

I am talking about seojunkie.com/2006/05/02/yahoo-removes-add-to-my-yahoo-and-view-as-xml-links

seojunkie, May 6, 2006 IP
  15. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    How can you draw parallels with that and if Yahoo favours RSS feeds when it comes to rankings?

dcristo, May 6, 2006 IP
  16. andrewshim

andrewshim Peon

Best Answers:
    can't agree with you about the RSS feed thing right now Brad. you probably are aware that Yahoo! has some sort of problem dealing with RSS feeds - unless they've decided to kill the "View as XML" and "Add to myYahoo!" links in the site descriptions altogether.

anyway, this has caused my once stable site to yo-yo like crazy. after the early April/late March update, I got thrown to page 3. climbed back up again to #5, then after the April 21st update, got kicked down to page 3 again.
    in both instances, the "View as XML" and "Add to myYahoo!" links dissapeared.

ps to Y! : what gives Yahoo!? Why have an RSS feed and myYahoo! account if you're gonna screw up the legit, clean sites that are trying hard to make it?

andrewshim, May 7, 2006 IP
  17. Web Gazelle

Best Answers:
    For most of my sites Google seems to show more pages indexed than Yahoo or MSN.

Web Gazelle, May 8, 2006 IP
  18. digitalcamera

digitalcamera Banned

Best Answers:
    How do you get the title tag to show in your website listings in Yahoo.

Yahoo is just showing my domain name in the title, I don't really care other than getting a chuckle at how useless it is for my homepage but on a side note I think it may bother the webmasters I am competeing with.

Maybe it should be this way for all yahoo listings?

digitalcamera, May 11, 2006 IP
  19. Web Gazelle

Best Answers:
    Seems odd that only your domain name shows. Yahoo is showing my Title for all the search terms I am ranked for.

Web Gazelle, May 11, 2006 IP
  20. digitalcamera

digitalcamera Banned

Best Answers:
    I found this Yahoo link - which seems to point to my domain name. What is the purpose of the redirect? When I recurse it it points to hidden-master.yahoo.com which is redirected to your website! I just thought I would let you know that it seems yahoo is using your DNS for recursive lookups!

digitalcamera, May 11, 2006 IP