1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Feedback This forum is dominated by Indians

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by pilot35, Jun 10, 2014.

1. GFX2

GFX2 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey everyone,

I have been here quite a while now and I must say that there an abundance of people here who can't speak English well, specifically the Americans. I recently check Alexa and saw that the site is US-based, but the majority of the users are from America. They don't bother to use their spell checker and simply write for the sake of incrementing post count. As a result, this forum is full of LQ members. Just my feedback, no hard feelings.

Etc etc... What's this all about?

GFX2, Jun 22, 2014 IP
  2. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Before you point fingers at people who can't speak English well and don't use their spell-checkers, specifically the Indians, would you mind taking a look at your own grammatical skills?
    There are two errors in your first two sentences. The correct sentences are:
    1) I have been here quite a while now and I must say that there is an abundance of people here who can't speak English well, specifically the Indians.
    2) I recently checked Alexa and saw that the site is US-based, but the majority of the users are from India.

You accuse others of not using their spell-checkers, but do you yourself use your grammar checker?
    Your sig here at this moment reads “Need well-researched, high-quality articles written fast? Look no further. PM me and we will negotiate a price!” It appears you are a writer. IMHO, if a writer doesn't proofread what he/she writes for possible errors, how can you expect others to do it? I bet most of the people about whom you are talking are not writers. Let that alone, English is not their first language.
    Never mind. You too are a human being like them, just different.

BTW, this is just my feedback, no hard feelings.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
    Content Maestro, Jul 6, 2014 IP
    snakeair likes this.
  3. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    There are rules everywhere. But how many follow them?
    And what exactly should be done about it? It's not practically possible for admins here to monitor each and every post to see whether it conforms to forum rules. If it were a small forum, that would have been possible. But DP is so huge!
    We have taken a step though - the post quality scorer. It filters out such posts.
    Moreover, a large portion of users accessing DP are ESL and non-native speakers. You can't expect all of them to write English correctly.
    There are rules, so we know they're being flouted. That's why we're aware that the quality isn't up to the mark. If we rewrite them because people aren't following, how do you think it will be possible to put the brakes on what's happening? It'll only worsen the situation, IMHO.

Content Maestro, Jul 13, 2014 IP
  4. SocialProwl

SocialProwl Banned

Best Answers:
    The good news it they will work for a nickel or 1 ruby!
    DP has been enforcing unlawful labor overseas for years.
    I myself am not for it.

SocialProwl, Aug 15, 2014 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    facilitating perhaps, but not enforcing.
    I guess since you're only worth $15/hour such command of the english language might be tricky.

sarahk, Aug 15, 2014 IP
    Content Maestro likes this.
  6. SocialProwl

SocialProwl Banned

Best Answers:
    Uh if it isnt a terrorist working for DP for nickels and dimes hoping to one day do his own thing and not work for a failed forum. Poor thing cant even afford a car but just a bike.

SocialProwl, Aug 15, 2014 IP
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Why on earth do you think I'm a bloke?

sarahk, Aug 15, 2014 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  8. chinesegirl07

chinesegirl07 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I believe that forum is an informal form of writing that shares knowledge and thoughts regardless of nationality and mother tongue ( which means wrong grammar is tolerated as long that the reader can understand ) other wise if you say that forum comment should always goes through grammar check before posting then this should not be a forum site probably a blog site perhaps. Do I still need to do copyscape for this? sigh!

chinesegirl07, Aug 27, 2014 IP
  9. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    Exactly. It's more about sharing and gaining knowledge than about writing with correct grammar and syntax. Sometimes, I have seen posts with grammatically incorrect writing giving off the best ideas and solutions. These posts are also in some cases very educating. I agree that as far as readers can make out what is conveyed, grammar doesn't really matter.
    On the other hand, I am NOT saying that we should completely neglect it; there HAS to be a certain minimum understandability. (And that's precisely why we have rules.) But the fact that this is a global forum accessible to everyone and many people who don't speak English as their first language come here for various reasons should also not be forgotten.

Content Maestro, Aug 27, 2014 IP
    chinesegirl07 likes this.
  10. rsrikanth05

rsrikanth05 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why do people just automatically assume a certain ethnic group to be 'bad' at English?
    There have been quite a lot of instances of Americans with pathetic English. Google it, you will find quite a bit.

rsrikanth05, Aug 27, 2014 IP
  11. chinesegirl07

Best Answers:
    We understand that it is a sore to the eyes reading content that is hard to understand and comprehend. That is why there are rules in the forum and Admins have the privileged to correct such post. However, it also unfair to generalized certain nationality for posting such. Even American's nor English people are not perfect in their own first language grammar.
    Instead of criticizing, why don't we ask the admins to re-enforce their rules. We as a member of this site we have the rights to teach forum poster the right grammar so that we could teach/share a piece of our knowledge to them. I'm sure they will appreciate it. We may also ask them to rewrite the content properly. In this way, we keep a healthy forum discussion and keeping more participants in this awesome site.

chinesegirl07, Aug 27, 2014 IP
  12. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    So @chinesegirl07 you want the mods to enforce grammar and teach users where they'vexgone wrong?

Shall I start with your post?
    Fwiw Filipinos usually have excellent English, you are the exception!

sarahk, Aug 27, 2014 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  13. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    I guess the OP is trolling. His evident hatred for some people here is not really an attitude that suits a member of a global forum.

chinesegirl07 likes this.
  14. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    The op managed to miss the obvious numbers game that any country with such a massive population is going to be noticeable everywhere - either physically through emigration or online.

sarahk, Aug 27, 2014 IP
  15. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    Exactly. That's the reason a huge number of people here are from a certain place. The OP makes it sound like an act of deliberation!

sarahk likes this.
  16. chinesegirl07

Best Answers:
    I have to admit that I don't write very well. And I know that there is a lot of mistakes with my grammar. But then again, I am just citing an example or suggestion and hoping the OP would realize his mistakes in generalizing or pointing fingers to a nationality. I hope you dont get me wrong for posting my opinion and apologies to all for my bad English.

I am just sad that there is someone who could pin point mistakes of others while not thinking the effect it would cause.

This is just my opinion, and please no hard feelings.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
    chinesegirl07, Aug 28, 2014 IP
  17. obada

obada Member

Best Answers:
    Great feedback maestro , especially the no hard feelings part :p I guess that he has got a heart attack after reading your post :p
    Anyway , will the staff ban a member for his grammatical mistakes ?

obada, Aug 29, 2014 IP
  18. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    There would hardly be anybody left if they did that..;)

malky66, Aug 29, 2014 IP
  19. obada

obada Member

Best Answers:
    Hehe I agree with you , I think 90% of forum members aren't english experts :/
    Btw I like your avatar :p

obada, Aug 29, 2014 IP
  20. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    Thanks @obada.
    Well, at least I hope so.;)

Content Maestro, Aug 29, 2014 IP