1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Thinking of making my own blog, need some last minute advice

Discussion in 'Blogging' started by TheBrokenMan, Feb 19, 2011.

Okay so I work for a small yet decent blog which pays me 90-100 USD a month in PKR, while I am satisfied with my job I want to earn a little extra cash every month or so, now the thing is I am VERY FAMILIAR with stuff like Apple, Android and games, my friends have rated my knowledge on each as so

gaming : 8.5 - 9 / 10 (I mainly lack in knowledge about REALLY old games like Duke Nukem, Deus Ex and all kinds of RPGS) otherwise my knowledge on the current gen games is great, I got this rating from a friend who has his own gaming blog which has great traffic and his daily visitors are 1000+ a day.

Apple : 7.5 - 8 / 10 Again a friend of mine who has worked for a variety of Apple fan sites and even has his own successful Apple blog now says my knowledge is good on it.

Android 6.5 - 7 / 10 now this is where I am weak, I know a lot more about the OS of the phone than I do about the phones them selves =/ as in I can tell a Hero from a Desire and I suck at recommending Android phones, But I know all the features of the upcoming, old and relevant OS changes by Google.

my question do you guys is should I start a "mydomain.wordpress.com" or a "mydomain.blogspot.com"

I know there is a stick on this but it hasn't answered the questions I want the answers to.

1. Which is more SEO friendly and likely to get picked up by search engines better?

2. Given that I get a good traffic response say 4-5 months down the lane I will want to make my own .com domain a reality.

3. What would be the best way to spread the word about my blog?

4. How long would it take for me to bring in cash? even start earning like 10c a day would be great.

5. Which is more ad friendly? like adsense etc once I get better traffic I will definitely go for buysellads or other such services.

I hope someone can help me out with these questions

TheBrokenMan, Feb 19, 2011 IP
  2. ruletheworld

ruletheworld Peon

Best Answers:
    The rating part seems totally meaningless to me. If you want to start a blog, go ahead and do so.
    Now you mentioned that you want to earn money blogging. Did you think about what methods you might use to monetize? At this stage, this is usually not a concern as you should only think about traffic for now. However, since you are asking about the domain, it might make sense to fix something.

The best way to blog is to have your OWN domain and not blogspot or wordpress domains. Of course you could use these. However, do be aware that Adsense cannot be used on wordpress domains so if Adsense is one of your monetization options try blogger. For obvious reasons, I cannot explain which is "better"

1. It will be your content that is picked up. And yes, it helps to own a domain, so if you are ready to invest, follow that route and install wordpress. Blogger *might* need some tweaks to rank better. You should research these.
    2. Ok
    3. At the very basic level, try SEO, blog/forum commenting without spamming, backlinking etc. You may want to tell your friends too.
    4. That is a question that has NO answer. It could be a day, week, month, anything. All I suggest is take the time to learn and it will save you precious time later.
    5. As I said, blogger allows you adsense ads. Of course if you have your own .com domain, install wordpress and start blogging.

Good luck!

ruletheworld, Feb 19, 2011 IP
  3. karmaseo

karmaseo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Start your .com domain to open the gate of your income streamline from blogging. Just start action to find recommended hosting and I suggested use WP platform.

karmaseo, Feb 19, 2011 IP
  4. OpportunityLOL

OpportunityLOL Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd definitely start with the .com so those backlinks you want will be pointing to the website you want to be running. Start it now and get it a few months in so you're out of the sandbox - spend that time now pumping out content that'll get readers long term. Rather than worry about your knowledge ratings (lol), just write the content, get it up, and see how your readers react.

From my experience it's taken roughly a year for my website to be profitable and that's with M-F blogging and a lot of networking - likely 2 full years before I could make good reliable money from blogging - if your goal is to make $3/month, setting up a squidoo page may be your best free option.

OpportunityLOL, Feb 19, 2011 IP
  5. Oceanus

Oceanus Member

Best Answers:
    Definitely get started on the .com - personally I have had better luck with wordpress in all those areas.

Oceanus, Mar 4, 2011 IP