1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Thinking about switching to Joomla from Wordpress, need advice.

Discussion in 'Joomla' started by nubix223, Sep 7, 2013.

Hello Digitalpoint,

I have been blogging from circa ~A Year.

Since then, I have learned a great deal about WordPress, but about a week ago have started investigation Joomla.

For a while now, i have been a little tired with WP lack of customization options for the site design itself, with the requirement of learning WP script/options in order to fully customize a site. Since my year of blogging, i have learned PHP, and Javascript; and have found a Joomla theme that is really to my liking.

I have for a long time wanted to incorporate a Forum on my blog, where users can share and interact, (It's the Video Game Niche), but also be able to run their own little "blogs", or maybe a submit form/contest type-thing where users submit content and an article is chosen to be posted on the main site, and giving the author credit. (can be a forum function i guess??)

How hard would it be to implement something like this in Joomla? (I have heard Joomla is more community-based, so i guessed that implementing it would be easier than implementing it in WP)

I just wanted advice; Would it be worth it to switch to Joomla? How would any writers react, how hard is it to learn how to update posts for a freelance writer?

How is it with SEO in Joomla, i have heard talk that SEO in Joomla is not as "advantageous" as WP SEO.....is there any truth in this? (Personally i think with the right Joomla extensions it doesn't matter, but I want to make sure:)

thanks

--Nubix

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
    nubix223, Sep 7, 2013 IP
  2. VideoWhisper.com

VideoWhisper.com Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    White WordPress is targeted to posting blog content, Joomla is more member oriented and you can find multiple components for member features.
    http://extensions.joomla.org/

If you still want to use WordPress you can take a look at BuddyPress plugin for frontend member functionality and also check related forum/group discussion plugins.
    http://wordpress.org/plugins/

Browsing available listings and finding the right extensions for your project is up to you.

VideoWhisper.com, Sep 8, 2013 IP
  3. Kanonig

Kanonig Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It boils down to the tool you are more familiar with.

Don't expect to be a jack of all trade, if there is anything you can do, outsource.

Kanonig, Sep 8, 2013 IP
  4. winification

winification Member

Best Answers:
    Hello nubix223,
    If you need to build more complex website I would recommend you switching to Joomla. It's a powerful CMS with tons of built-in features and extensions. The SEO tools are highly adjustable and you can fine tune them to work the best for your niche. Personally I use AceSEF, which is paid component, but worth each $ spent. It is upgrading the built-in Joomla SEO engine giving you ability to control the m
    etadata, sitemap, tags, create internal links and use social bookmarks.
    Joomla supports few forum engines you can check here:
    http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/communication/forum
    You can also use a bridge to phpBB.

For converting your blog to Joomla you could review and try the extensions such as JConverter - WordPress to Joomla Conveter (http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/migration-a-conversion/data-import-a-export/10237).

winification, Sep 10, 2013 IP
  5. Hurki

Hurki Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you need forum for joomla, i suggest you kunena forum extension... I used it on my gaming website, and it was awesome...
    and about SEO, it's not that hard... i was big noob when I started with it, and it was pretty simple...

Hurki, Sep 10, 2013 IP
  6. winification

winification Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with Hurki, Kunena is the best one out there. I also use it for my Joomla based website.

winification, Sep 10, 2013 IP
  7. nubix223

nubix223 Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow!, thanks for all the imput, I think i will be switching to joomla very soon. Working with Sub-domains right at this moment to get the hang of it a bit before I start anything with my whole blog, although so far i am loving it,

;)

nubix223, Sep 13, 2013 IP
  8. Ionut Lupu

Ionut Lupu Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think you won't regret switching to Joomla, if you know also php you'll find that customizing the code it's much easier than in Wordpress.

Ionut Lupu, Sep 15, 2013 IP